PDA

View Full Version : Cobham Interviews

layingback
3rd Nov 2011, 06:50
Has anyone had a phone interview with Cobham. If so can you pass on any info as to what to expect.
Thanks.

ALLAH
4th Nov 2011, 03:18
Are they doing direct entry commands?

Capt Claret
4th Nov 2011, 04:16

Asked and answered on Oct 31, here (http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/467515-cobham-b717-job-ad.html).

startingout
4th Nov 2011, 04:47
air law knowledge, personality and a general chat

Hookers
4th Nov 2011, 11:39

The word is 4+ years to a command on a 6 year contract :ok:

RENURPP
4th Nov 2011, 21:39
At the end of this six year contract I will have worked for them for 24 years as will Claret, Bloggs and some others on here longer. :) back when I started the usual, the contract won't be renewed comments were around.

The "word is" who's word is it? :rolleyes:
I would be very surprised if they allocate you a commend date when offering you a job! :p

Hookers
5th Nov 2011, 02:45
he asked a question I answered.

BAE146
5th Nov 2011, 10:32
NJS (Cobham) will never promise or give a time line on Commands.
NEVER have and NEVER will !:{

Capt Claret
5th Nov 2011, 13:29
Just out of curiosity, which airlines or operators do give a promise or time line on time to command?

ALLAH
5th Nov 2011, 23:16
Sorry Claret,

I didnt realize you were the authority on happenings at Cobhams.

Captain positions were alluded to in an advertisement I saw, thats all.

Apologies if I have offended you, people my age sometimes repeat themselves.

BAE146
6th Nov 2011, 08:01
Captain positions were alluded to in an advertisement I saw.....

al·lude
verb (used without object), -lud·ed, -lud·ing.

1.to **refer casually or indirectly; make an allusion(usually followed by to): He often alluded to his poverty.

2.to contain a casual or indirect reference (usually followed by to): The letter alludes to something now forgotten.

**Probably were, and if you stay long enough in any outfit, chances are you will eventually get a Command.
However, Direct Entry Command with Cobham - see all of the above! ;)

hongkongfooey
6th Nov 2011, 10:39
Just out of curiosity, which airlines or operators do give a promise or time line on time to command?

Dragonandonair told me 3-4 years, now its 10+, I think you are better off if they say nothing. No company will give you anything other than a " rough idea " of time to command and even then most know better than to say anything.
24 years RENURPP ? You would have got less for mass murder ;)

RENURPP
6th Nov 2011, 20:45
That's if I make it unil the end.

I've felt like committing murder on occasions.

ALLAH
6th Nov 2011, 21:41
Does Cobham operate to a numbered seniority system as in QF?

notop
7th Nov 2011, 05:42
So Renurpp 24 years you have a command yet :rolleyes:K

2020Balance
7th Nov 2011, 09:06
3 ground schools already this year with one finishing last week on the 146.

Maybe one more to come in the new year.

Well done to GQ and RM.

Both absolute top blokes.

Both deserve a good holiday

ALLAH
11th Nov 2011, 00:21
Has anybody had an interview yet?

Hookers
11th Nov 2011, 01:34
Yes PM me if you want details.

nothing but net
27th Dec 2011, 09:08
Is anyone able to shed any light on the Cobham 717 interview process? Questions? Simulator profile?

Are the free online SHL practice tests adequte preparation for the psychometric testing?

wrongwayaround
12th Jan 2012, 20:47
Are cobham 717 still hiring?

Thanks

PPRuNeUser0161
22nd May 2012, 07:58
What's the story with the latest round of Dash 8 recruiting. Anyone know how long they bond you for?

SN

startingout
22nd May 2012, 09:53
I am getting confused about the value but it's somewhere around 26k and 3 years

717tech
22nd May 2012, 11:30
It's 3 years on the Dash.

PPRuNeUser0161
22nd May 2012, 22:12
You know guys, where's this gonna end. There is no way known I'm going past two years for a bond. They own you if you let them. Most people can do two even if they don't like the job or the employer has done a line on them but three is to much.

SN

Capt Claret
22nd May 2012, 23:53
SN, any chance you could loan me $30k, unsecured for three years? :8

FWIW, I and colleagues seem to have survived 3 yrs DH8 bond, and 2 yrs (sort of) 717 bond, without too many scars!

PPRuNeUser0161
23rd May 2012, 00:12
CC
You wouldn't like my terms!

SN

AerocatS2A
23rd May 2012, 10:02
SN, it's pretty simple really. The company aren't prepared to spend the time and money on training someone unless they get a return of 3 years from them. If you don't intend sticking around for more than 2 years the job isn't right for you and it's a good thing you discover that now rather than later.

I "suffered" a 3 year bond with them then another 18 month bond when I got my command and then another 12 month bond when I transferred to the BAe146. At no time was I bothered by it because at no time was the bond period any longer than I intended to stay with the company. It has all cost me nothing. On the other hand if your intention is to use the company as a short term step toward an airline job, you'd be better served flying for one of the many other turbo-prop operators who don't have the extensive addition training requirements as set out by Customs.

PPRuNeUser0161
23rd May 2012, 10:16
Aerocat
No problem with your comments in theory. However there are plenty of operators out there spinning guys yarns of quick commands etc with a long bond. Then when the command does not eventuate the pilot is stuck. Personally I am not the type to move for the hell of it, been with my current employer well over 10 years now, but if there was not a left seat in it after two years then its definitely not for me.

SN

AerocatS2A
23rd May 2012, 11:38
Well sure. Take a promise of a quick command with a grain of salt. In Surveillance Australia (Cobham) commands come pretty quick for most unless you lack the required experience, perform poorly in checks, or are based in Cairns. There have been some FOs there who would never have got a command and others who only had to wait 12 months. Thing is, neither you nor they really know which category you'll fit into until you've been through the system.

SHVC
17th Jun 2012, 03:11
Does anyone have any info on the 717 interview process? Also what is the company like to work for?

PPRuNeUser0161
6th Jul 2012, 04:58
What's the chance of getting on the 146 out of AD?

SN

717tech
6th Jul 2012, 23:14
I believe there is very little chance. Best bet would be a Perth base.

BAE146
6th Jul 2012, 23:42
...............if there was not a left seat in it after two years then its definitely not for me.

If that's the case SN,you may find it's definitely not for you.:ok:

AerocatS2A
7th Jul 2012, 03:08
What's the chance of getting on the 146 out of AD?
There've been several new FOs hired to Adelaide in the last 18 months. I suspect the movement might be all but over now though.

zappalin
7th Jul 2012, 09:01
So recently I noted they have changed the minimum TT to 1,000hrs for FO Dash 8, which sounds about right - from 500TT (and being termed a "low-houred pilot" or some such thing).
Were guys with 500hrs even getting in?? The requirements seemed quite low, the 1,000TT with all the rest sounds more appropriate. Would have been a one-in-a-million dream job for someone with 500TT!

2020Balance
7th Jul 2012, 10:00
1 more new FO for ADL in the next few months. Heard next ground school soon with 5 internal dash8 dudes already signed up. So that leaves 1 lucky sob from outside company to jump on the gs and probably get ADL as dash8 dudes already from PER and will obviously stay in perth as Regional gets rid of its 2 dash8's. Good luck to that person

glatj001
9th Sep 2012, 01:21
G'day gents. I see Cobham are advertising for Adelaide/Perth F/O and DEC's on 146's. I'm an Adelaide expat wishing to come home. Can anyone who works as a Cobham 146 driver in Adelaide pm me please? I would really like to know what it's like to work there. Also basic things like rosters/lifestyle/pay/expected time to command etc.
Thanks all in advance.
Glat.

Bograt
28th Sep 2012, 05:33
Applied for a 146 DEC:

We have carefully reviewed your application and have determined that at this time you have been unsuccessful.

...more words...

The decision was based on the combination of relevant experience, company requirements and the very strong pool of candidates that applied for this sought after role.

16000+ total, 7500+ command (all turbine). Worldwide airline experience, Boeing & Airbus command.

Must have been a very strong pool of candidates...

aussie027
28th Sep 2012, 07:39
Yeah Bograt that is for sure!!!

Makes you wonder what they are looking for.
I got the same email today re an FO position.

No chance at all it seems. :{:{

volare_737
6th Sep 2013, 07:39
Anybody done the Psychometric Testing for the 146 operation lately ? Any info would be great !!! Thanks

AerocatS2A
6th Sep 2013, 09:17
Do they do psych testing?

RENURPP
6th Sep 2013, 10:10
16000+ total, 7500+ command (all turbine). Worldwide airline experience, Boeing & Airbus command.

Must have been a very strong pool of candidates...

Do you have jet command time?

I understand there are plenty of applicants that do.
there are 767 and 737/747 guys plenty of command time that have missed out and they're just some of the ones I am aware of.

There is a lot of competition out there.

volare_737
7th Sep 2013, 05:11
Why would all those highly experienced pilots want to go and fly 717 / 146 type aircraft ???
There are many well paying jobs in the market now on modern jet aircraft.

Buttscratcher
7th Sep 2013, 05:56
Not home here in Oz there isn't

Try to get a job in virgin, jet* with high time on heavys. No way big boy

Plus, you get older and realise that the big shiny jets go too far for too long, your priorities change. It's not about the bike, mate

airdualbleedfault
7th Sep 2013, 06:03
Heard a rumour Mr "flap up instead of gear" was returning, thats a pi55 take, right?

volare_737
7th Sep 2013, 06:29
Yes Butts - you got a point !!! I am at that intersection now !!!!!

AerocatS2A
7th Sep 2013, 07:30
I enjoy having every weekend off!

noclue
7th Sep 2013, 07:52
Whats a weekend?

Compylot
7th Sep 2013, 09:18
Just a quick question, what sort of uniform do the Cobham guys and girls wear flying the 146?

Is it a Cobham specific uniform or does everyone at Cobham wear Qantas (link) attire?

The reason I ask, is that I met a Cobham guy at a bbq a little while ago and he was wearing what I thought looked like a Qantas uniform (he said he was flying the 717 but was about to transfer onto the 146?) :confused:

Wally Mk2
7th Sep 2013, 09:32
'renurpp' 'Turbine' time can also be grouped in with jets. That guy would obviously have Jet Cmd per-say.
I think the translation of jets & turbines being the same thing has been lost over the years. There's no diff other than how the turbine shafts output capability is being absorbed.

Life style becomes more & more important the older ya get. The monies no good to ya if yr burnt out & have missed the best years.

Wmk2

training wheels
7th Sep 2013, 11:52
'renurpp' 'Turbine' time can also be grouped in with jets. That guy would obviously have Jet Cmd per-say.
I think the translation of jets & turbines being the same thing has been lost over the years. There's no diff other than how the turbine shafts output capability is being absorbed.

Try telling that to the Emirates recruitment team .. :ugh:

clear to land
7th Sep 2013, 13:37
The Emirates requirement is simply because EK don't do base training except for UAE Cadets, and you can't do a ZFT Type Rating unless you have a previous jet Type Rating. Finally, there is no shortage of guys from all over the world (except Australia) who have the required jet time and are applying.

Buttscratcher
7th Sep 2013, 16:02
.....and no shortage of same wanting to return home some years later to fly 71s or similar, such as to actually maintain a family and sleep in their own beds at night

RENURPP
8th Sep 2013, 00:50
Wally I'm not about to get into the turbo prop v jet time argument, however there is more to a jet than what the throttles control.

If you were employing pilots and you were after direct entry commands would you start by looking at metro, conquest pilots or some one who had flown similar weight/speed passenger number, complexity type aircraft?

There are plenty of jet command guys applying, common sense says look at them for DEC first surely?