PDA

View Full Version : In flight comms / GPS Tracking

Heli_Fella
2nd Nov 2011, 21:15
I've been tasked with finding a suitable system to track our helicopters from the office and also have the ability to communicate via txt or voice.

We need to be able to see where each heli is at any given moment so we can allocate an urgent task to the closest one for instance.

I have read about a few systems like the Blueskynetwork, Spidertracks or the GeoPro messenger.

I would also like to know if anyone has experience with bluetooth adapters to link a mobile to the aircraft intercom without the need of removing our helmets to answer the call, such as the bluLink adapter.

Any info, suggestions greatly received.

ec155mech
2nd Nov 2011, 21:29
the company I work for uses skytrac which can be intergrated as a panel or as a loose box you have in the cockpit during flight. does text msgs and you can follow them online. showing speed, track, alt, and you can put custom waypoints in as well.SkyTrac.ca - Home (http://www.skytrac.ca/pg_Home.php)

9Aplus
2nd Nov 2011, 22:47
yxMSbU6g04k
we are just adjusting this one for heli use :)

Gordy
2nd Nov 2011, 23:40
Cell phone with Google latitude.

wigglyamp
3rd Nov 2011, 06:06
Sky connect iridium phone with tracker option and an MMU2 cockpit dial-pad to allow text messaging as well as to select phone number for voice calls. Aviation approved and already doing what you want on some UK air ambulance aircraft.

gittijan
3rd Nov 2011, 06:10
Also look at SKY CONNECT. GPS tracking, text on the the display and IRIDIUM phone through the normal aircraft headset. Also up to 10 pre programmed messages and telephone numbers can be set. It also allows you to generate histories of the flights if you want to see where your pilots have gone sightseeing (or lost).

skadi
3rd Nov 2011, 08:24
Maybe this:

eae electronics (http://www.eae.de/en/gesch_av_helicomm.html)

skadi

Thai Pom
3rd Nov 2011, 08:45
We have used SkyTrac and Sky Connect with equally good results.

Flying Bull
3rd Nov 2011, 09:19
Hi Heli_Fella,

we use HeliMap with HeliComm from eae - link posted before
or download their broshure

http://www.eae.de/pdf/helicomm_en.pdf
http://www.eae.de/pdf/helimap_en.pdf

Works quite well and all you need is an internet computer with the software installed, to track the birds, see where they´re going (destination from helimap is displayed) and send them messages.
Its all done by so called SBM (short burst message), which reduces the amount of traffic via the Iridium phone.
Helps quite a lot if you work very low, where normal transmissions won´t reach you.

Grretings Flying Bull

Heli_Fella
3rd Nov 2011, 10:19
Thanks folks,

@Gordy ~ we work in remote locations around England & Wales, so can't purely rely on GSM comms as we rarely have signal.

To make the solution a little cheaper I guess we could opt for the message / tracking then clarify the task via GSM / intercom. However i'd prefer to have it all via one box of tricks.

Can't decide whether to have a handheld device for both crew members (usually 2 of) or a built in system. With a handheld even if we are away from the heli we can still communicate.

Etouffee
3rd Nov 2011, 17:45
We have had great success using SkyConnect hardware and SkyNet AIS software. The SkyNet software is a very nice upgrade from the stock SkyConnect Mapping.

We have several alerts custom built into the system mostly dependent on our business rules.

We are very particular about knowing what the pilot intent is and then seeing that it is being followed. We use our own radio repeater network as well as the Sat phone and Text messaging quite extensively.

By implementing text communions we have reduced our radio calls by over 80% which has really helped.

We follow about 90 aircraft daily and handle an extensive amount of message traffic from several locations around the globe.

Our aircraft have to have the ability to change plans in flight so this system has been built to handle that as well (which is one of the biggest problems you encounter with this type of software)

It's not cheep to implement but if you need the versatility SkyConnect hardware with SkyNet software may be what your looking for.

I am not a salesman or do I work for either company but if you want to talk to one send me a PM and I can get you their information.

BTW long time lurker, first time poster :eek: