PDA

View Full Version : faa regulations versus payload offered

dakota_bandit
2nd Nov 2011, 07:17
Hello all,

This is my first post so please be gentle ;)
I'm currently working overseas on a rotary project in somewhat austere conditions where 'hot and high' conditions exist on a daily basis.
I have been through the charts for payload, taking into account DA etc etc, that in my experience, should be offered and the ones that are being offered are vastly different in terms of being alot higher then i would safely say the machine should be carrying. The operator is saying that it is calculated correctly and it even got to the point where they then only offered a standard payload for each destination regarless of the amount of pax/cargo carried, height, temperature. my concern is that they should be doing a weight and balance sheet for each destination and taking the weight accordingly to conditions.

Another question is that they are certified under part 135 with afew sub sections thrown in for good measures, now my understanding of the FAR's is that once the helo carries more than 10 pax it automatically comes in to part 29 and OEI comes into place, which would automatically bring the payloads down to a safer figure.

what are the boards feelings on this?

Shawn Coyle
2nd Nov 2011, 11:52
I don't know of any helicopters that have more than 10 seats that aren't Part 29 (or it's older equivalent).

You should be aware in those conditions that the HV curve is a limitation, and that this will seriously affect your operation.

Also, there may be WAT charts in the limitations section that are (obviously) limitations.

On the other hand, one of the reasons why more payload than expected might be carried is because the engines are above spec engines, and dispensation for this has been given.

Unfortunately, all too often the performance charts (and sometimes limitations) are ignored. Good luck sorting it out!

SASless
2nd Nov 2011, 12:31
Using a precalculated Weight and Balance for standard loads in exactly the same conditions is not a problem. Using a formated Load Calc where one chooses the parameters and then selects the precalculated loading is a quick and efficient way of doing your preflight load determination.

That being said....the handy aid you are using should have been calculated upon the data provided in the RFM....using Factory Charts and complying with the appropriate FAR's. Part 135 Op Specs in your Ops Manual should also provide some input for loading and restrictions to operations.

Ask Carson Helicopters about bogus Load Data and what happens when one gets found out following a fatal crash! A very good pilot died in that crash because he had been provided dummied up loading data for use in his calculations.

Don't be bashful if you think you are being forced into a dangerous box. You have to be alive to spend all that money you are making!