PDA

View Full Version : Police lose UAV .... UK

nellycopter
1st Nov 2011, 18:27
Police lost control of the £13,000 UAV while operating it from the Riversdale Police Social Club on a “routine training exercise”. The drone was lost on a Wednesday afternoon at the club, which is used for police functions and celebrations.

Mmmmmmm no doubt this post will get added to the uk police helicopter cuts thread ?

bolkow
1st Nov 2011, 19:26
Is there a reward?

TRC
1st Nov 2011, 19:49
The original thread title suggests that they let it go deliberately..

mickjoebill
1st Nov 2011, 22:42
Fire brigade in Australia has crashed one, TV crew lost one when it ran out of power over water

Early days....

Mickjoebill

Agaricus bisporus
2nd Nov 2011, 00:58
operating it from the Riversdale Police Social Club on a “routine training exercise”.

Or perhaps showing off giving it a wazz in front of their mates at the social club...

That sounds suspiciously like the euphamism "Structured Patrol" that the unit I worked for called the endless jollies for their mates so they could go and take photos (with the unit's cameras) of their houses, their neighbours houses and their parents/friends houses. And get them developed and printed in the police lab too.

Routine training exercise. I wonder.

krypton_john
2nd Nov 2011, 02:19
Maybe they were seeing how many pints they could consume while still keeping the shiny side up.

SASless
2nd Nov 2011, 04:18
Would not just a contingency plan suffice for this?

Must one achieve such reality in every training exercise?

Yet one wonders....did they buy this particulara UAV with the intention to lose it in order to carry out the training evolution?

Coconutty
2nd Nov 2011, 08:02
Is this OLD ( February 2010 ) News as per :

http://www.pprune.org/6002170-post17.html

and

BBC News - Police drone crashes into River Mersey (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-15520279)

..... or have they gone and done it again ? :eek:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

Thomas coupling
2nd Nov 2011, 09:11
The plot thickens:
The drone was lost during a "police function" at the club. I believe it conveniently fell into the river and hasn't been retrieved?
The operator has been reprimanded...now why would that be then? Surely not because it was being used for NON police work???

They finally had their cum uppence. This 'toy' was a complete waste of public money, it being so restrictive in its use. Probably why they brought it out of storage for this function, so they could stay current on type:=

The police don't insure. They take the risk onboard themselves, so don't see how they got their money back from the insurance company, do you?

EESDL
2nd Nov 2011, 11:19
driving without insurance......................must be Liverpool based ;-)

Vizsla
2nd Nov 2011, 11:22
The civvy version without the blue paint and blue strobe is only £1100.00

Thomas coupling
2nd Nov 2011, 13:06
The platform costs: £13000. The FLIR camera onboard was extra at 1.6 million:eek:

MightyGem
2nd Nov 2011, 15:22
Is this OLD ( February 2010 )
Yes. Not quite sure why it's back in the news just because it's been decided not to replace it. :confused:

nellycopter
2nd Nov 2011, 18:38
It's on Helihub as just happened,
Maybe they have only just got round to posting this....

Anyhow, it gave us somet to talk about.... (again then......)

Blue Thunder
2nd Nov 2011, 20:20
Agaricus bisporus,

Your chaps must have trained at the same place as my chaps!
If the sun was out a photo training jollie was always a good excuse to take in the sights and get some pics of their mates house. :cool:

Re the toy that crashed in the river, the pc who was playing with it will no doubt have been promoted by now.

You know how it works, a nod here, a wink there ;)

500e
2nd Nov 2011, 21:39
Old model ?.
Makes way for Upgrade.

PANews
3rd Nov 2011, 16:31
Same old, same old. I guess that one reporter [one without a product specific memory] came upon some new [Police Authority?] report that mentioned the 2010 event and ran it and then everyone went into copycat mode.... its been everywhere.... Daily Telegraph, Sun, BBC, Liverpool Echo.... but which went first....