PDA

View Full Version : Aeros time in logbook

Parson
1st Nov 2011, 14:13
I have some aeros time, under instruction. Given that there isn't a test to pass or rating to be gained, does this go down as PU/T or P1S?

thanks

DB6
1st Nov 2011, 15:44
If given by an aeros instructor - i.e. you paid dual rates - then P u/t. Same as any dual instruction. No need to record it separately unless you want it to count towards e.g. AOPA aeros certificate. May change under EASA but I would't plan anything on what those arseholes may or may not do.

foxmoth
1st Nov 2011, 17:48
May change under EASA but I would't plan anything on what those arseholes may or may not do.
There is a very strong belief that they ARE going to bring in an aeros rating so might be a good idea to show it properly, just in case!

BillieBob
1st Nov 2011, 22:50
There is a very strong belief that they ARE going to bring in an aeros ratingRather more than a 'strong belief', it's a certainty. Part-FCL has been adopted by the european parliament and, assuming that the whole corrupt edifice doesn't fall around our ears in the meantime, is due to become law in April (well, July in the UK) next year.

However, that has no effect on the way that time under instruction should be logged, whether paid for or not, which is most certainly not as P1S!

BEagle
2nd Nov 2011, 09:04
I recommend that you keep a record of any 'aerobatic flight time' in your logbook - it will count towards the 'grandfathering' which we are agreeing with the CAA for the part-FCL 'Aerobatic Rating'. Note that's 'flight time' which includes either the confidence manoeuvres (such as accelerated stalls, recoveries from the vertical, max rate turns etc) or actual aeros. It does not include time spent taxying or take-off, climb, transit or approach and landing times.

One piece of €urobolleaux we're trying to get binned is the stupid requirement to have achieved 40hrs PIC since licence issue before you can hold an Aerobatic Rating.

3 Point
2nd Nov 2011, 20:32
Hey Beags,

How much evidence will one require to establish grandfather rights? Will one be able to teach aeros based on grandfather rights?

eg as a current unrestricted FI, ex mil Chipmunk and FJ QFI and current DA holder with aeros display approval do I need to do anything to keep doing what I'm doing now?

Thanks for any advice.

3 point

foxmoth
2nd Nov 2011, 21:18
Quote:
There is a very strong belief that they ARE going to bring in an aeros rating
Rather more than a 'strong belief', it's a certainty. Part-FCL has been adopted by the european parliament and, assuming that the whole corrupt edifice doesn't fall around our ears in the meantime, is due to become law in April (well, July in the UK) next year.

However, that has no effect on the way that time under instruction should be logged, whether paid for or not, which is most certainly not as P1S!

The way things change in aviation I did not want to go any stronger than "strong belief"! And my remark about showing it properly was to reinforce showing it as Aeros instruction.

BEagle
2nd Nov 2011, 21:36
3 point, any FI who does not have a 'No aerobatics' restriction will, we are assured, be granted an Aerobatic Rating and 'grandfather' instructional privileges.

3 Point
2nd Nov 2011, 22:33
Interesting! So an FI who has never flown aerobatics will automatically be able to teach them - is that really what you mean.

It truly is a strange and wondrous thing this EASA!

Happy landings

3 point

foxmoth
3rd Nov 2011, 03:35
3 Point - I had to read Beagles post twice to get the correct meaning - if you DO have the "no aeros" restriction then you will not get the right to do so, it is only if you have had the restriction removed you will get the grandfather rights!

Dan Winterland
3rd Nov 2011, 06:20
''One piece of €urobolleaux we're trying to get binned is the stupid requirement to have achieved 40hrs PIC since licence issue before you can hold an Aerobatic Rating.'' '

What a nonesencical regulation. You could include Aeros as part of a slightly extended PPL syllabus and send people flying solo aerobatics before they have their PPL, quite easily. It would make them far better pilots. Let's face it - the RAF have been doing it since 1918!

Parson
3rd Nov 2011, 11:38
Thanks all for your replies re logging time - I see I've inadvertently opened a debate!

Mad Girl
3rd Nov 2011, 13:47
What a nonesencical regulation. You could include Aeros as part of a slightly extended PPL syllabus and send people flying solo aerobatics before they have their PPL, quite easily. It would make them far better pilots. Let's face it - the RAF have been doing it since 1918!

I had about 15 hours aeros (2 hours spinning) before I'd finished my PPL. (Bog standard civvie street student pilot, no military background)

So...some of us "were" doing aerobatics before they had their PPL.. ;)

3 Point
3rd Nov 2011, 18:54
Beagle and foxmoth,

Yep, now I read it again I see what you meant Beagle. The double negative had me!

Happy landings to all.

3 Point

FatFlyer
9th Nov 2011, 20:31
Back to the original question, It might be worth looking up when you may log time as P1/S (PICUS)?
Apart from on a multi crew plane(airliner), It is "during a test for the grant or renewal of a licence or rating"
I know of people who have logged P1/s for things such as club PPL checks, and had the hours rejected by the CAA when trying to claim the experience as P1.