PDA

View Full Version : Go on then....think back to your first lesson!

tom775257
5th Nov 2001, 23:18
So, just for fun does anyone want to think back and describe their first lesson i.e. any comedy incidents or anything.
One of the senior instructors (ex airline skipper)took me out because he wanted to get back to basics after too much IR/ MCC teaching, so I had a one off lesson with him. Had a quick chat, looked at a cockpit poster, and away we went. Ok Tom...start the aircraft...now taxi the aircraft. Dont steer so much!!! so, we takeoff, at 500 feet. 'you have control, turn left heading xxx, 20 degree bank, maintain 85 kts climb. Me: I'll try my best. So sadly I roll out of the turn about 5 degrees too far, he wasn't a happy chap, and I continually got told to 'STEP ON THE BALL' OK...i'm starting to sweat and its fairly turbulent. Next tried straight and level, that was OK, then turns at 10, 20, 30 dgs. Next the stall recovery, after 30 mins flying...Now time for flying circuits! Have to join onto downwind at 1000 feet, but sadly loosing altitude. Instructor: 'Watch the VSI!! next he says 'Ok, turn to base, start descending, I will control the flaps, you control the throttle, aim to be at 500 feet for turn to final. At this points with the flaps lowered first stage, suddenly learn that flaps really do effect the way the aircraft flies! On finals there is a crosswind...Instructor: 'Keep the numbers in the same place in the windscreen, use rudder to turn into the wind....' Me: What about the ball' Instructor: ' Ignore the ball!
So he takes over on short finals, I release a sigh of relief, wipe the sweat from my forehead. We land, suddenly without telling me we were going to do it he puts on full power, pulls up the flaps and says 'you have control, rotate at 65 kts.' Ooohkay, so suddenly take off again :eek: and then get to fly the circuit again. Flew around to short finals, he took control, and that time that was the end of the lesson.
What can I say...I don't think I could have had a better first lesson. It got me hooked on flying, and gave me confidence to go into the following lessons without any apprehension, just a burning desire to continue flying.
Go on then, anyone else want to share their details??????