PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL or ICAO ATPL - which way to go?

FlyingDumbells
1st Nov 2011, 10:55
Hi guys,

I am Irish and completed my flight training in Australia and have a CPL and MECIR. I have yet to do my ATPL subjects as I have been giving great thought about weather I should even get an ATPL from an ICAO country as I can't seem to find a job for the past year with my low flying hours, but then again maybe i am more marketable with the ATPL subjects done.

I have been thinking of doing the 14 JAR ATPLS and converting my license over. What do you guys think would be the better option? My main goal is to land a job somewhere! A lot of the time nationality comes into play for these cadet schemes and it leaves me frustrated with my ICAO license :ugh:, like why did I even train in Australia if I can't work there or better yet why do they even offer training to different nationalities...

Anyways I want to get this show on the road this decade and I do not mind paying for type rating if it gets my foot in the door to make a start. If i went JAR I am thinking possibly Ryan Air or something. I remain indecisive with regards to what qualification (JAR/ICAO) I should get the ATPL in....help.

Bealzebub
1st Nov 2011, 12:59
You dont have an ICAO licence because there is no such thing. Presumably you have an Australian licence. Australia (and almost every other country and supranational authority on Earth) is a member of the ICAO.
If you want to work in Europe, you will almost certainly need a JAA or (EASA) licence.

It is a very steep uphill struggle and you need to get yourself licenced in the area where you can be considered for work. There is a lot of very well qualified competition in the marketplace.

If you are Irish, and unless you have the right to live an work in other territories where you envisage a future requirement, then common sense would suggest you set out obtaining a licence that is required and issued in the EEC.

From the ICAO website:
ICAO does not issue any licences. Licences issued by ICAO Contracting States on the basis of Standards and Recommended Practices of Annex 1 – Personnel Licensing, are habitually called ICAO licences. This has led many to believe that there is a specific ICAO or international licence. The fact is that there is not one single international licence issued by ICAO or any other organization. States issue their own licences based on national regulations in conformity with Annex 1 specifications and validate licences issued by other Contracting States on the basis of bilateral or multilateral agreements or the fulfilment of nationally legislated requirements.

FlyingDumbells
11th Nov 2011, 14:52
I have an Australian License. I am open to working in any country that there is work. I was wondering if I would be better off getting a European License as I am Irish. It is still possible for me to work in Asia with my license if there were jobs available.

I didn't really want to convert if there's not going to be any jobs still with a JAA license.