PDA

View Full Version : moving to QATAR

Deconneur
31st Oct 2011, 15:04
Few question here.

-- Starting training next month. Wife will join in September with Kids.
Will Qatar let me go back to home Country to travel back to Doha with wife and Kids? Or Wife and Kids have to travel by themself?

-- Can I get a car loan from Qatar or do i need to get one from bank and at what interest rate?

skya320
31st Oct 2011, 16:16
No leave available during training. You must be done before you can have any leave. But if it happen to be your days off and they are kind enough to give you exit permit then you can go pick your family up.

Car loan with Banks only not with company. Interest rate varies with bank. HSBC offer 6% interest rate now. Goodluck:ok:

imnotwhoyouthinkiam
31st Oct 2011, 16:27
Can you please elaborate on the EXIT PERMIT! What on earth is this, do you need permission from QR?

BTW..what is the policy on staying in Qatar during days off, are you allowed to jet set out to another nearby country, or do you have to stay there?

skya320
31st Oct 2011, 16:36
As an employee in the State of Qatar you need and exit permit to leave the country. Yes, no freedom. Your company must approve for you to leave the country even if it's your days off. Two options. Single exit permit or Multiple Exit Permit.

Multiple Exit Permit can be obtain with an approval from the company and you have to pay QAR 500 (USD 136.98)

As for your family, they are free to enter and exit the country anytime they please after RP (residence permit) has been obtain.

Welcome to the Middle East. It's another world. :ugh:

imnotwhoyouthinkiam
31st Oct 2011, 17:26
Wow, I don't think other Middle Eastern companies have that. Especially not for pilots. How long does the multiple exit visa last for. Is it hard to get? I mean I'de assume its a blanket restriction for all companies and QR has no problem issuing one, right :sad:??

Deconneur
31st Oct 2011, 17:36
Thank you for the info Sky320.

Deconneur.

skya320
31st Oct 2011, 17:45
Multiple Exit permits last for 1 year. Not difficult to get, but you have to fill some forms and wait for Management to sign and approve then you will get your multiple exit permits after paying QAR 500 (Process usually take less than a week for paper work, but for the permit itself you get in on the spot after paying)

Capt Krunch
31st Oct 2011, 18:16
Multi exit permits are only given to Pilots and upper Management types. Cabin Crew and other employees are not allowed and will not be issued Multi Exit permits. all others will only receive single use exit permits.

the ability to have multi exit permits are given to very few companies in Qatar.

keep in mind when given a multi exit permit the company reserves the right to suspend the privilege.. meaning, if your a bad boy the company will and can block or suspend your exit permit, Thus you will not be able to leave the country.

dynamicd
31st Oct 2011, 18:33
More on the Exit Permits Please,

Is a pilot able to apply and pay for the multiple exit permit immediateley upon taking up unemployment, i.e starting training? Or is there a waiting period before the benefit kicks in.

I must say it wont be nice to not be able to leave the country if you wish to on your days off.

Suppose its a for the company to make sure people dont jump ship without paying trainining bonds, loans etc.

AD-4
31st Oct 2011, 21:57
What they don't tell you is that if you resign and your Multiple Exit Permit is still valid, YOU MUST PAY 500QR to have it cancelled before they'll let you leave the dump! Just another case of stealing from the expat.
I'll stand corrected, but as far as I'm aware, Qatar and Saudi Arabia are the only countries in the world requiring exit visas.
Find a job somewhere else!

330airbus
31st Oct 2011, 22:37
Get the multiple exit permit, 500QR for the whole year, and leave anytime you wish(when you have a few days off).
Does this sound right?

I don't see where the problem is. :cool:

WELCO
1st Nov 2011, 09:29
Just another case of stealing from the expat.

Now that's really funny!
How about the tax free income?!
May be you are talking about Multiple Incidents of Stealing because you were not paying attention?:suspect:

jibba_jabba
1st Nov 2011, 11:13
Geez,

every time I read something here that makes me question heading over!

Sounds like one is almost better off working for Jetstar with all these hidden little traps and disciplines!?????

Dubaian
1st Nov 2011, 13:01
I'm just SLF but I can tell you that Exit Permits apply to everyone working (legally) in Qatar - not just employees of State organisations. The private sector is hit too. AFAIK the only other countries which apply similar restrictions are K.S.A. and Iran.

Good employers can get them instantly via an on-line process. It's no big deal even if you don't have a multiple exit permit. The key words are 'good employers'.....

loc22550
1st Nov 2011, 17:45
And having a multiple exit permit is considered here as a ""privilege""!!!
The privilege of being free to leave the country whenever you want...:ouch:

Deconneur
2nd Nov 2011, 03:23
What is transport allowance?
Is it for home to airport transportation or else?
Just curious!
Deconneur

jibba_jabba
2nd Nov 2011, 05:29
If I have it right, transport allowance is

1500 Riyal/month for FO
1000 Riyal SO/fast track SO

Non Zero
2nd Nov 2011, 12:13
Is a pilot able to apply and pay for the multiple exit permit immediateley upon taking up unemployment, i.e starting training? Or is there a waiting period before the benefit kicks in.

...after 3 month from DOJ you are eligible to request multiple exit permit and it last 1 year. But things may change ...

imnotwhoyouthinkiam
2nd Nov 2011, 13:47
But as for the single exit permits, do you get them faster? Or do you need to wait just as long?

blusky75
2nd Nov 2011, 23:06
someone said that it s possible to request the multiply Visa after the training...what doesn it means? after the line training? joining on T7..how long will it take?

thanks for any answer!

Capt Krunch
4th Nov 2011, 03:33
But as for the single exit permits, do you get them faster? Or do you need to wait just as long?

Single exit permits will take up to 3 working days to get after approval. Problem is. They are valid normally for 1 exit within 7 days, if not used by then it becomes invalid. If for some reason you get a ticket go thru immigration but refused at the gate due to load restrictions or anyother reason.. Because you have already passed immigration your exit permit is considered used and becomes invalid for any other exits despite the fact you actually didn't exit.
Only 1 exit permit is issued at any given time so you would then have to reapply.

blusky75

Anytime you hear.... After training... It most always means after final line check. There is no telling on a time frame, some go thru in 2 to 3 months and some take greater than 6 months.

blusky75
4th Nov 2011, 14:22
Capt krunch

Thanx for the info. So in case the training takes several months, is it not possible to come back home for few days at all or they let you go?

Non Zero
4th Nov 2011, 16:22
someone said that it s possible to request the multiply Visa after the training...what doesn it means?

Before the multiple exit you need a residence permit, which it might be as long as 2 month! And NO, without exit you cannot leave the country.

Carjockey
5th Nov 2011, 14:57
I believe that the majority of expats who take up employment in Qatar do not really understand the nature of the place, and do not realise that they will essentially be considered as 'slaves' by their employers.

If you are considering working in Qatar, you’d better make sure that you understand and are prepared to comply with all contract terms to the letter before you accept any contract.

Make no mistake, Qatari employers will hold their expat employees strictly to their contract terms, regardless of any other considerations.

Qatar does have a 'labour law', but conveniently (for them!), this law does not apply to Qatari government employees, and all companies operating in Qatar have a strong connection with Qatari government bodies.

You should understand what that means…

As far as I am aware, Qatar has some of the most restrictive laws of all the Mid East/GCC countries regarding exit visas for expat employees, in particular the issue of multiple exit/re-entry visas.

Some examples: Any expat working in Saudi Arabia can obtain a multi exit/re-entry visa through his sponsor/employer without too much trouble, once he has obtained his resident's permit. He just has to pay the visa cost to his sponsor/employer.

In the UAE, once a resident's permit is obtained the holder can exit and re-enter the UAE freely, provided that the holder does not spend more than six months out of the UAE during the RP's validity.

Can the holder of a Qatar residents permit obtain exit/re-entry visas so easily? Well I suppose it depends on who you know, but not many Benny…

Compared to other GCC countries, Qatar has a lot of catching up to do.

Beware!

CJ.

inner
5th Nov 2011, 17:00
Normally i don't mind to work overthere. But the exit visa is THE thing that afraids me the most. As long that is not more flexible i'm reluctant to apply.

Recently i heard the story of a Belgian who was stuck overthere. Belgian authorities did everything to get him out without any succes. Final result was that he had to escape with help of friends.:sad:

blusky75
5th Nov 2011, 17:32
Perhaps he had some issues with the authorities?! Should be a reason for that

inner
5th Nov 2011, 19:22
The only thing i know that there was a dissagreement between him and employer. Employer refused to sign for exit visa. So yes, it can happen!

Jet Ranger
6th Nov 2011, 22:22
They want to be sure that you dont have some un-closed loans of something like that , before you leave the countrey ... first, before exit, you have to make them sure that you are not obliged for something ...

that is the reason

imnotwhoyouthinkiam
7th Nov 2011, 02:32
Jet Ranger, that doesn't make sense, almost all of us are going to have loans, most people in this day and age have loans, with cars, credit cars etc.

And then add on top of that that most of us will be bonded. So are you saying we can not leave for 4 or 5 years until we pay off our loans?

I think it has more to do with whether your company trusts you or not. if you have threatened to leave or seem to be on your way out then the company has the opportunity to block you.

Tritzo
7th Nov 2011, 21:55
its more about if you took loans in qatar, especially company loans (some companies give you a better rate than a bank) then they dont want you to just disappear...
usually your exit permit will not be denied. you apply for vacation and additionally for an exit permit. not a problem at all. as both goes on one request. so for you its just one tick mark in another box on a request sheet. if you need to go during off days, fill out a request form and mark the tick under exit permit and enter the leaving date.
this is just a method for the company to have control. you go and work there, so you are being guest not local. as pilot and if you read the above, you just apply for multiple exit permit every year and thats it - done. if thats the only thing that bugs you, check out the webpages online where you can listen to all the phonecalls anyone made in qatar... thats how it is. accept it or leave it. therefore the crimerate there equals almost 0.

and to your question. as soon as you finished your probation period you get you can request the stuff...

in short: qatar = you live there to work, not to enjoy the country. good pay, new aircraft, international crews, uprising company, as good as no hr.
in my opinion some ppl are in need to experience the culture instead of blocking straight away. it can be interesting.

rsajlk
7th Nov 2011, 22:50
Good post Tritzo..With my permit, I average from 2 to 3 trips home for a few days off in a month aside from my scheduled layover flights. No problems whatsoever. Whats to beware of. Keep your nose clean, as one would do in any other country, and all runs smoothly.

WELCO
8th Nov 2011, 07:14
Hey folks... There is absolutely nothing to worry about with regard to the exit visa. I used to live there for many years and I had no trouble at all getting the exit visa, for either myself or my mates there. Remember that a respectable and big employers like QR wouldn't get you in legal troubles unless you ask for it! Well, things may go wrong sometimes with some people! But if you dig deeper, there must have been something wrong as well that they've done. So just make sure that you don't walk in the dirt... Life then would be easy!

Good luck.

blusky75
8th Nov 2011, 09:15
finally someone thinking positively who makes people less worryed joining QR!!!

Homo Ludens
8th Nov 2011, 14:29
Guys,
I've been here 6+ years already, and not a single problem leaving the country on days off.
Consider the 500 QAR for the multiple exit permit as an investment for a piece of mind.
Just the simple fact that you have it and can go anywhere you please on your day off (even if you don't actually do it) is priceless!
More to the point, you'll be required to get the E-pass, to be used at the e-Gates, which saves you a lot of hastle going out or comming in the country, and ALSO requires that you hold a multi exit permit.
And to wrapt it up - RELAX! Normal people live here, as everywhere else (and some qiute crazy ones, also as everywhere else)!
Cheers!
H.L.

stop, stop, stop
9th Nov 2011, 18:00
Gotta say...no trouble leaving at all! Got four days off....so headed back home this evening. No hassles....

Please don't make this out to be more than it really is, just because it is different to how you are used to. Most people dislike things they don't understand.

SSS

salsaboy
9th Nov 2011, 19:45
Hi all,
On a slightly different subject... I am moving out in January and have had all the recommended jabs for living in Qatar, but was advised that as I would be travelling into yellow fever areas etc that I have that... As well as rabies and hepB too.
Do Qatar Airways do these for us? Or do they pay for these?
What has everyone else done?
Cheers
(see you soon!)

40&80
9th Nov 2011, 20:07
Good to see you are treating your health with respect.
I got Hepp. and was off for six months and damn near died before the days of the Heppie jab.
Mates got malaria big time and neither of us were ever really 100% the same health wise after those.
Allow for 6 monthly dental hygiene cleaning.... as a private patient down route...flying rosters in the past made it impossible for Gulf based pilots to keep or make dental appointments with the company dentist.
I understand today poor dental hygiene is considered a risk that contributes to potential future heart problems...and you do not need these.

stop, stop, stop
11th Nov 2011, 15:33
Do Qatar Airways do these for us? Or do they pay for these?

I'm affraid the first answer is No. Not sure about the latter.

The medical insurance (Alliance) is very good, but I haven't checked to see if this will cover jabs/boosters etc....

My advise would be to get this all done before you come....I would guess that the insurance won't cover it, but I'm not certain.

SSS

Homo Ludens
11th Nov 2011, 17:55
I had the Yellow fever shot last year, before we started flying to GRU and I did this in Doha.
The shot itself was free, I just had to pay like 10 QAR ( less than 3 USD ) to get the "passport" - a little orange booklet, in which they put an entry with a signature and a stamp to sertify I've got the jab. It's not Qatar Airways, it's a goverment Agency.
And Allianz was not even mentioned.
Cheers!

White Knight
11th Nov 2011, 20:58
keep in mind when given a multi exit permit the company reserves the right to suspend the privilege.. meaning, if your a bad boy the company will and can block or suspend your exit permit, Thus you will not be able to leave the country.

So who in their right mind?????????????????????????????????????????

And it's 'you're a bad boy' not 'your':\

skya320
11th Nov 2011, 23:58
Vaccination are covered by Allianz. Or you can get some free vaccines by the company doctor/nurse behind Qatar Airways Tower. They will also issue Immunization passport for you to keep.

inner
13th Nov 2011, 15:57
Hi

Question to the singles out there. I'm wondering what are you doing when you are off? Is there enough to see and to do, or is it pure boring? And is there some social life between the crews?

Tx

jibba_jabba
13th Nov 2011, 22:19
from what I understand, single life is ok, but not great. Better in Dubai, but that is only 40 min away!

So question really does beg for how much time you actually get off to enjoy being in that area!?

jibba_jabba
14th Nov 2011, 02:26
Mods! clean this up!

Aileen Johnston,
please be aware that this defamatory statement can land you in alot of hot water legally, so if I were you I would not post again and report this abuse to actual authorities and/or leave to a safer environment.

Airforce1
14th Nov 2011, 09:09
I agree Jibba Jabba,
Most people cant even post here to look for jobs yet some new PPRUNER arrives with some childish vendetta to post an exact same script on every Qatar page!!
we work hard in the aviation industry to find jobs, and if u lose a job due some slander on a forum website, Just Not Right...
:*

indianace
16th Nov 2011, 05:08
as per all my earlier post.qatar is a safe and nice country to stay.infact its probably the safest country for kids and family.qatar airways as well is a nice airline to work for with good salary,tax free and brand new planes to fly.the cost of living is high..but so is many other countries in this world.
medical care is good with many hospitals and allianz take care almost every sickness.education is world standard and the current education fund from the company covers up to 3 kids.
the country and the company has many rules...as long as just follow them..do your roster and go back to your family,then no one will have any problems..many pilots here more than 10 yrs service..and i myself approaching 8 yrs without any problems.exit permit is not a problem..just apply online and its done OR get muti exit for qr500 ( only for pilots ).
off days you can commute and i personnally see many pilots commute back home every off days.
for all those planning to join..my view...its a nice place and just go ahead and make the move..its a fast growing airline and not affected by the global financial crisis...cheers

fishbath21
16th Nov 2011, 05:48
Hi guys,

I will be joining Qatar soon. Just want to ask a question which I need to know. On my day off if I want to leave to my home country, do I have to pay anything fir my ticket on QR fleet? Second, are u on stand by seat? Third, can I go as much as I want or they will say "hold ur horses buddy" 

Thanks

Capt Krunch
16th Nov 2011, 08:37
do I have to pay anything fir my ticket on QR fleet? Second, are u on stand by seat?

You can either pay full fare or get ID50 - ID90 tickets from staff travel, even if you ride in the jumpseat its a Y class seat fare. Yes all staff tickets are standby space available sub-load tickets.
Third, can I go as much as I want or they will say "hold ur horses buddy"
The ID tickets are unlimited for you and your immediate family (spouse, and kids up to a certain age). and a doubt you'll ever hear anybody around here quote that phrase let alone call you their buddy :E

330airbus
16th Nov 2011, 08:45
Capt Krunch,

Are siblings entitled to tickets?
How many leave tickets do I and each one of my family members get per year?
I believe all these entitlements start after 3 months of completion with QR is that right?
Before that 3 month period, bringing a sibling or a parent, I would have to pay full fare?

Thank you.

Non Zero
16th Nov 2011, 09:47

sorry dude but which part of unlimited you don't get?

330airbus
16th Nov 2011, 09:55
Non Zero,

No problem.
I actually meant the annual leave tickets, not the ID tickets.
My current employer gives me and all my direct family members 3 tickets a year.
Confirmed and free.

blusky75
16th Nov 2011, 14:14
i think u can get id tickets after the probation period ( 6 months)

Capt Krunch
16th Nov 2011, 17:10
Are siblings entitled to tickets?

Unmarried Crew
Parents: 1 set of ID90 and ID50 each, for each parent per calendar year. (unlimited ID tickets on partner airlines)
Siblings: 1 ID90 and 1 ID50 ticket per year,(total) Irrespective of the number of brothers and sisters provided they are registered on the company records. meaning, that if you have 2 siblings, one can get a ID90 and 1 could use the ID50.. if you have a 3rd or more siblings.. they are out of luck.

Married Crew
Parents: 1 Ticket for each parent, ID90 or ID50. or 2 tickets for 1 parent per year. (unlimited ID tickets on partner airlines)
Siblings: 1 ID90 and 1 ID50 ticket per year,(total) Irrespective of the number of brothers and sisters provided they are registered on the company records. again, if you have 2 siblings, one can get a ID90 and 1 could use the ID50.. if you have a 3rd or more siblings.. they are out of luck.

Spouse and children under 18 years of age are entitled to unlimited ID90 and ID50 tickets on QA and its partner airlines once you have completed 3 months of service with the company.

funny thing is. we get 2 leave periods per year (21 x 2) but only 1 annual leave ticket per year for you and your family.

Before that 3 month period, bringing a sibling or a parent, I would have to pay full fare?
Thats right.

Sephore
16th Nov 2011, 18:03
hello,

how many days before you date of join are you suppose to come, I mean receiving your ticket ?

Can you from day one use your 150kg of fret allowance ?

Thank you.

imnotwhoyouthinkiam
17th Nov 2011, 07:33
If one has no siblings is it permissible to nominate other family members? Close relatives, friends etc. I mean those two extra sets of tickets for siblings are just that, two extra, so why limit them to only siblings?

I always found the buddy ticket policy a much better one.

Jet Ranger
19th Nov 2011, 19:33
How much does it cost if you want to rent a house for family living (2 kids) in Doha, per month ? Is that problem or ...

cbern
23rd Nov 2011, 03:39
Hello everybody,
I'm thinking about moving to Qatar..My wife and my daughters are afraid about life for them in an "arabic" country..like Qatar..they wonder if girs and women are treated like in Riyadh or Jeddah..It will be a more or less "european-style" life for my family or it would be a nightmare??

(My daughters are about 16 yo..)

Thanks

..Quagmire..
26th Nov 2011, 22:26
Been here 4+ years.

There are some really dumb rules here. And boy do these people like to follow these dumb rules. The multi exit visa is one of many classic examples. Just go with it.

If I am interpretting it correctly..... (as I haven't given it much thought)

On being "sponsored" your sponsor decides if YOU need to seek his permission to leave the country or not. (you could specify this for your wife when you sponsor her!) Qatar airways requires that pilots do. (i.e. a SINGLE EXIT Permit is required each time you leave Qatar).
However, you can pay 500QR (Er, why you have to pay?) any now you can come and go as you please, any time, as if there was no such thing as an exit permit!
Oh, and also (as previously mentioned) Qatar airways now require that all pilots HAVE to have a multi exit visa! So, it's bizarre and stupid. On one hand they want you to seek permission to exit the country and on the other hand they require you to have a multi exit visa so that you don't EVER need to ask their permission to leave the country! Welcome to Qatar. Basically, think of it as a 500QR tax you pay it each year.

Not too much critical thinking goes on here. For example, they haven't realised that when you go to work on a jet, you usually leave the country - but you didn't get your sponsors permission. (i.e. cabin crew). So an exit visa is totally useless anyway. So why have it? Hmmmm.... good question.....Answers on a post card please..... But wouldn't it save hundreds of thousands of dollars if the scheme was scrapped?....Hmmmmm....yes. So shall we scrap it....Hmmmm.....well I've checked my manual and it doesn't mention that so I don't know.... But do you think that would be a good idea?.....Hmmmm..... I'm sorry sir.....I've told you already it doesn't say in my manual...... But surely you can think for yourself can't you?.....hang on sir, I need to go and check with my boss to confirm that.........my boss says it says nothing about that in his manual either sir.....please come back tomorrow...... :ugh:

The whole country functions by moving one bit of paper from one desk to another, getting a "permission", stamping it, then passing it back to the first person. (I know, it's 2011, why not do it over the Internet?). Usually though these two desks are about 10 miles apart and it takes 2 days for someone to be bothered to sign it, unless you gently remind them that it's ok to stamp it while you watch them!

Any permission is basically a formality. Nobody checks anything, they just write a letter, or stamp something, it's just paperwork for the hell of it. You need "permission" (or letters of "no objection" - ha ha, that's the same thing isn't it?) to get car loans, liquor licences, bank loans, RP renewals etc, etc....

It's all silly and a waste of time and pointless, but it makes someone somewhere FEEL like they have a hold over you (when really they don't) but just go with the flow.

The long and the short of it is they don't want you to run off with outstanding loans, so you have to get permission to leave the country first - but that doesn't really work for pilots and cabin crew as discussed above with my attempt at humour!!!

I'm sure someone will "correct me" and point out lots of sensible reasons for exit visa's. (like: it's always been like that, or it stops bad people from doing bad things or because I read it in my manual)

Once you understand all that you can get over it and have fun.

at least you can buy pork here now. With NO extra paperwork too :D:ok:

loc22550
27th Nov 2011, 07:05
You mean unlike the liquor licence we don't need a "pork licence" to buy pork in Doha...?:ooh:

Dubaian
27th Nov 2011, 07:06
at least you can buy pork here now - from precisely one outlet (so far) - the same folks who also monopolise the liquor supplies. But hey it's better than nothing. Progress I suppose.

loc22550
27th Nov 2011, 07:17
I already saw an article in the newspaper,indeed some "conservatives" are complaining that pork is sold in a muslim country.
well i guess when they will realise that they can make good business out of it(like the liquor shop), they will keep quiet...

Dubaian
27th Nov 2011, 07:44
cbern your wife and daughters will not be treated here as they would be in KSA. No need to cover up with black abayas. Normal clothing is fine in public. Bikinis and mixed bathing permitted. Your wife could also get a driving licence.
The girls may not have so much fun as they could have elsewhere in the Gulf - they won't be allowed to drink in bars for example until they are 21. ID is checked - thoroughly. Not so many places to go or things to do...
But there are many expat families who are quite happy here. It aint the best place in the world but there are many worse.

..Quagmire..
27th Nov 2011, 19:30
Well, you need a liquor licence to get into the booze shop and if you have a liquor licence then you don't need an extra "pork" licence. But if you don't have a liquor licence then you need to get one if you wanna buy pork!

Obviously you have to control this dangerous pork eating business, or there'd be thousands of "Pork Junkies" roaming the streets spaced out on scratchings.

Also there is gonna be a pork shop at the outlet on the pearl sometime soon.

Something perverse in me wishes that I had a card that said "Bond, James Bond - Licenced to carry pork".

A funny conversation overheard in QDC.....(to a local pushing a trolley fill of Jim Beam and 5 cases of Stella)
"So did you manage to get any pork then today?"
"Of course not....I'm a Muslim".....(looks horrified as he pushes off his trolley load of Jim Beam and Beer)

Dubaian
28th Nov 2011, 05:54
Yesterday's offerings in the QDC Pork Shop - frozen, unsmoked, Danish back bacon + frozen Linconshire sausages (which list water as the 2nd ingredient in the contents.) That's all, folks.
Not worth the drive out there.
Salami is 'promised' for today, insha'allah. I asked about the possibility of fresh pork? Answer came there none.:ugh: What little they have is however pretty cheap.
Good news to residents of the Pearl & West Bay - the Carrefour Express in Lagoona (between the Zig-Zag Towers) is open. And very nice it is too. But like all Middle East Carrefours a pork-free zone.

Axum
28th Nov 2011, 06:21
Hi guys, just a few questions about accomodation:

Where would be the area of my company provided appartment?
May I refuse this and have housing allowance to rent by myself? (Similar to EK)
May I buy an appartment?

Dubaian
28th Nov 2011, 06:33
Axum I can only answer your last question. Yes - on the Pearl.
As the largest urban development project in Qatar, covering 985 acres and as the state's first development to offer freehold to non-Qataris, a world of opportunities is available for both individual and corporate investors. Residents have been moving in since the fall of 2009. At full build out, there will be approximately 41,000 residents living at the Pearl-Qatar, along with guests and visitors at the five star hotels and retail shops. More here The Pearl - Qatar (http://www.thepearlqatar.com/main.aspx)
I just live there - I'm not saying buying property in Doha would be a good idea.

..Quagmire..
28th Nov 2011, 20:29
I initially thought it was a good investment on arriving in Qatar but think again.

My strong advice: Please, please, please don't buy any property in Qatar. Ever. Especially the pearl. Why? Let's look at the pro's and cons.....

I hope this helps you to make an informed decision.....

Pros:
1) Can drink in the restaurants (same as if you just drove there).
2) Pork and booze shop coming.
3) Nice area of town.

Cons:
1) Quality is really bad.
2) Hard/ impossible to re-sell.
3) It's way overpriced.
4) The cooling bills are a mess and a nightmare. Astronomical.
5) It's not freehold - it's all on a 99 year lease. (It's in the small print in Arabic - it refers you to some appendix xxx, sub chapter yyy, of law zzz - Believe me, this is true - confirmed by Local Lawyer) but as it's written in Arabic, 99% of people don't know about that, or worse, if they have bought there - deny it to perpetrate the myth (for resale reasons :E)
6) The law is always against you. Always in favour of the local freeholder.
7) No properly defined Property laws / precidents. Full of holes.
8) Unless you buy in cash then you have to take a mortgage and the 6% interest they quote you will be more like 10% when you use a western calculator! :rolleyes:
9) If you lose your job and default on the mortgage, you can't leave the country till its paid off. They cancel your RP and (multi) exit visa, as you no longer have a sponsor you can't get a job, as you don't have an RP. So you can't pay. Or leave.
10) Regarding the above, obviously you have to pay insurance to the lender against defaulting on the payments. If you default, though somehow it's never covered!
11) You have to start making loan repayments from a set date EVEN if it isn't built or inhabitable for 2-3 years later. So you may have to pay rent AND a mortgage on 2 places simultaneously when you can't even live in it. Or sell it, as who's gonna pay a mortgage on a place you can't live in yet? :confused::eek:
12) If you want to leave in an emergency (or just leave), you can't sell for less than the developer is selling units for in that tower, whilst he has units left to sell. i.e. you can't undercut the good old local. Also, they like to keep a property or 10 empty and on sale at a high price to try and keep prices artificially high.
13) There are plenty of places empty on the pearl, as the locals want high rent, and so do the expats that bought (although eventually they realise that they have to accept much less or get nothing - the expats that is.) the locals don't care, they just leave them empty, money isn't a factor. Most of the locals would rather wait with it empty for 2 years to get 15,000QR per month for an apartment than drop the price to 10,000QR and have it fully occupied for 2 years. They have no financial common sense. For them this is better, as they are getting a "higher rent" and not loosing face by reducing the rent. :oh:
14) Quite a few construction companies went bust, so those towers won't get built - will people get their deposits or payments back? Can you guess the answer to that?

If you can accept all this risks then go for it. :suspect:

Personally, I wouldn't touch it with yours!

Axum
29th Nov 2011, 06:32
Thanks for the info.
Anyway I just wanted to buy a re-sale ap. somewhere else, but if no freehold no business.

..Quagmire..
29th Nov 2011, 19:08
Not sure there is anywhere else you can buy yet. Well not genuine freehold anyway. Lusail is promised in the near future but not built yet.

Good luck. Post back if you find anywhere that is freehold that you can buy. I'd be interested to hear if it can be confirmed as a genuine freehold. But I doubt it.

You will most likely have to rent an apartment or villa like the rest of us. Expect to pay between 8,000 - 15,000QR depending on location and quality. Which can vary in appearance but will still be thrown together by the same low skilled "Chimps". expect every water joint to be leaking when you move in, half the tiles to be chipped and cracked, scratches and dents on everything, 1/2 inch of sand throughout, the a/c not working and there to be only one or two electrical sockets in each room; Probably both really close to each other on the same wall :rolleyes: If you only have half of these problems, you are doing really well.

Good luck.:ok:

jibba_jabba
30th Nov 2011, 03:35
can we expect the QR company apartments to be the same quality??

mustique1
30th Nov 2011, 05:42
Are there any Kiwi or Asssies working at QR that I can ring on the phone and have a chat with.
Thinking of making the move as Air NZ is not happening. I have a wife and 3 kids to consider and just want to have a chat to someone about stuff.

Cheers

Axum
30th Nov 2011, 18:03
Post back if you find anywhere that is freehold that you can buy.

Found this :
"GCC nationals may buy residential real estate anywhere in Qatar but they are not permitted to sell it in the first 4 years after purchase. They cannot take out a mortgage loan on the property unless it is in one of the areas designated for foreign investment i.e. the 18 leasehold areas or the 3 freehold areas.
Resident expatriates of all nationalities are entitled to buy freehold or leasehold property in the designated areas. "

test4echo
27th Dec 2011, 21:52
If you could do your move over again what would you bring with you to Qatar?

What does it cost per month to rent a car until established?

Should I buy a phone in the US and bring it with me?

What is the best calling card or plan to secure both for relatives in the US and for me once I arrive?

I am single and a FO so if I am put in company provided housing will it be possible at some point to move out of this provided housing?

How are college classes? Do they exist? Or is everything on-line?

I understand that we are paid in local currency into a local bank account. How easy it to transfer money into my US bank account to pay stateside bills? Also what are the fees?

If you get married to someone from back in the US and you want to bring her over is this an easy task? If not what are the pitfalls? Other than getting married ;-)

I thank anyone with meaningful and insightful feedback.

Black Pudding
28th Dec 2011, 11:29
If you could do your move over again what would you bring with you to Qatar?

Nothing, everything you need is here. Make sure you have a good laptop as you need one.

What does it cost per month to rent a car until established?

1750 Ryals a month which is about 500 dollars. I have been hiring for over a year now and see no reason to buy.

Should I buy a phone in the US and bring it with me?

Buy a phone when you get here and then buy a pay as you go sim card from Qtel when you arrive. Its easy and simple. You could call the US from it as well. Just make sure you have Skype on your laptop and at home for your bride to be and family to keep in touch

What is the best calling card or plan to secure both for relatives in the US and for me once I arrive?

See above

I am single and a FO so if I am put in company provided housing will it be possible at some point to move out of this provided housing?

You can apply for the allowance, but may take a while. You get it in order of who has asked and going down the list of whose next. You could move out to somewhere you want to be. Best advice, is do nothing for a year until you know if you want to stay long term. What's the rush.

How are college classes? Do they exist? Or is everything on-line?

Yes they exist, You can do CBT on your laptop in your own time or go to the classes rostered for you

I understand that we are paid in local currency into a local bank account. How easy it to transfer money into my US bank account to pay stateside bills? Also what are the fees?

I am with IBQ bank and get 2 free transfer a month. I have to pay recieving charges for my bank bank in my home country.

If you get married to someone from back in the US and you want to bring her over is this an easy task? If not what are the pitfalls? Other than getting married ;-)

Some love it here and some don't. You hear more from those that don't like it as all they do is moan and slag the place off. I would say more like it here than hate. My wife is very happy. You and your good lady will make lots of new friends and its a safe place to be. Best thing to do is get out here, get line checked then plan to get married and get your lady out here. Its very simple. Lots of wife's out here and most having a good time.

Anything else you need to know, just ask

tdk90
28th Dec 2011, 23:06
What would the company accommodation be for a married new FO with 2 kids? Villa like Emirates or more of an Apartment? Or is just an allowance and you find your own? Does the company pay utilities? - Thanks

stop, stop, stop
2nd Jan 2012, 19:14
Company accommodation can vary depending on what you are used to in your home country.

F/o's get apartments (usually 3 bed, but sometimes 2). Capt's get 3 or 4 bed Villas.

Utilities are paid for...upto 300 QAR a month. Personally I need about 400 QAR on average to pay all bills a month.

You can get out of Company Accom...but like has been said before...you go on a waiting list and......wait! At the moment I think people wait about 4 weeks to get the allowance...but this could increase to over a year.

Renting here is pretty easy, the places are big but not well looked after. Expect to get on your knees and scrub if you want a clean house....We found our grout was actually white...even the landlord didn't believe it!! Still..in my opinion getting your own place is a must, if you want to spend any time here.

Soap Box Cowboy
2nd Jan 2012, 20:52
So I understand single f/o's get shared housing even after training?

Soap Box Cowboy
3rd Jan 2012, 06:59
Are fast track SO's also considered under this shared housing? If so at what point can a fast track get his own place. As I understand FO's get their own place according to standard1013.

Black Pudding
3rd Jan 2012, 11:09
Guys, chill out. Second Officers share. Fast Track Second officers dont. This is how I see it and once you line check, everyone is a First Officer and as far as I know, get there own place. Training is very slow at the moment so I have not heard of any sharing still sharing as they are still in training and not line checked yet. Correct me if I am wrong.

Relax everyone, chill out.

Wear your hat, jacket and shoes when your suppose to and be stable by a 1500 feet, oh and dont drink the day before duty. How simple can this be.

jibba_jabba
4th Jan 2012, 06:15
For information about Qatar laws etc use these links:

Qatar Government website:
Topics - Hukoomi - Qatar E-government (http://portal.www.gov.qa/wps/portal/topics)

Australia smart traveller Qatar info:
Travel Advice for Qatar - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Qatar)

TwoTone-7
4th Jan 2012, 09:46
Black Pudding is incorrect.

Fast Track SO also share.

Get your own place once you complete Final Line Check. I think it's 42 Sectors.

ps No drink 12 hours prior.

Black Pudding
4th Jan 2012, 18:02
TwoTone-7

I wasn't aware of any fast tracks sharing. Thanks for putting me right there.

One9iner
5th Jan 2012, 17:55
Hi,

Not QR related but more to do with re-locating to Doha... Can anyone give me an idea on the best way to hire or lease a vehicle on a long term basis in Doha. I've searched the web and can only find either the standard avis/hertz weekly deals or very expensive daily hire rates for premium cars.

I'll be looking to hire anything from a nice golf / bmw / 4x4 depending on prices.

Any info on prices or companies who advertise on-line will be a great help.

Regards

1niner

salsaboy
9th Jan 2012, 20:26
Oasis Cars - Rent A Car (http://www.oasiscars.net/Rent.aspx)

worth a look, I'm sure there are others too.

Dubaian
10th Jan 2012, 09:20
Lot's of local car rental operators but the smaller ones don't have web sites. Check out the local English language papers when you get here. There are deals to be done - esp for long-term rentals.

One9iner
10th Jan 2012, 17:19
Great,

Many thanks for the info!

1niner

skya320
12th Jan 2012, 05:40
Al Muftah Rent a Car

Al MUFTAH-RENT A CAR (http://www.rentacardoha.com/)

You can choose, book, and check price online.

jupilair
12th Jan 2012, 22:45
New & Used Cars in Qatar | (http://www.qatarsale.com)
You should be able to find your happiness with this website, you can find all the renting companies, the prices and the pictures of the cars to rent...You can also check the second hands cars to buy...So far if you are looking for the best long term leasing try the Teyseer group, good leasing and condition for QR crew...
Anyway take always your ID with u as you can always find unexpected deal for QR crew...;-)

Airlifter
13th Jan 2012, 23:55
Long term car rentals...

Welcome - Strong Rent A Car (http://www.strongqatar.com/)

360BakTrak
14th Jan 2012, 09:51
Used Strong, but very poor customer service when I returned a car after a 6 month rental. Tried to sting me for a fair whack of money for a few minor scratches on the bumper skirt that you couldn't even see! Considering this is Doha, the car was in showroom condition when it went backl!!! I won't be using them again. Plus, rumour has it their prices have gone up by a fair amount............

falcon2000easy
16th Jan 2012, 00:23
Hey folks,

Any Canadians over in Doha, flying for Qatar? If any of you wouldn't mind pm'ing on how you like it. I'd sure appreciate it. There's a lot of different nationalities on this forum, and I'd like to get a Canadian perspective.

jibba_jabba
16th Jan 2012, 07:35
Canadians are quite adaptable :)

Mate, its the desert, and you guys have nothing like that in your country! So basically, I met one of the recruiters and he was canadian and he has been there a long time, and he obviously likes it, so like anyone who goes there its going to be about your ability to have rational expectations and a good attitude to make it work, otherwise you will jnust find reasons to hate it and make yourself miserable.

I am sure its no fantasy land but its quite tolerable and I have heard that from a few different nationalities.

jibba_jabba
16th Jan 2012, 07:44
Question to those in Doha/Qatar:

1) Best mobile carrier; Qtel or Virgin? (include the plan your on please)
Consider making calls while overnighting in other countries and while in Qatar itself. Also international rates. Any hidden traps to them?
I already have my own phone to use, which will require internet access (smart phone)

2) Best TV and broadband plan?

3) Best Bank? And what account seems to be popular for expats?
Consider including credit cards and purchases from overseas as well.

Anything else that we may need to know about setting ourselves up when we hit the ground in Qatar?

:ok:

Black Pudding
16th Jan 2012, 08:39
1) Best mobile carrier; Qtel or Virgin? (include the plan your on please)
Consider making calls while overnighting in other countries and while in Qatar itself. Also international rates. Any hidden traps to them?

Qtel is the best regarding coverage in Doha. I can also make calls with it from around the world. I have pay as you go and is very simple.

I already have my own phone to use, which will require internet access (smart phone)

Ask about that in a Qtel shop when you get here

2) Best TV and broadband plan?

Depends where you live. I have 8GB through Qtel. Best to enquire when you get here

3) Best Bank? And what account seems to be popular for expats?
Consider including credit cards and purchases from overseas as well.

IBQ and I use my credit card to pay for hotel bills down route. I send money back to my home using the on line internet account, could not be simpler

360BakTrak
16th Jan 2012, 11:57
I agree with Black Pudding; plus with IBQ you get 3 free international transfers a month, and with the Platinum credit card you earn 2% back on everything (was 5%.....was quite lucrative when putting school fees through the card!!).

With PAYG on QTel you can buy 'bolt-ons' for inetrnet or whatever. Or, if you have a Blackberry, you can get their Blackberry service pack for 15QR a week which is automatically deducted from your balance. I've been here 18 months and still on PAYG. I have 4 gig broadband here with QTel (not as cheap as UK) but no TV package. I tend to use a VPN and use BBC iPlayer, etc, for that. Depends how much TV you watch I suppose, we don't watch much.

falcon2000easy
16th Jan 2012, 14:35
Thanks Jibba Jabba, I'm pretty open to new and different things after working up in the frozen north with the Innu and Inuit, to living and flying in the Caribbean.

I have a really good job here and was wondering if its worth the move. But I can only decide that.

blusky75
6th Feb 2012, 13:02
hey guys...is qatar still providing for the accomodation or now they just give the allowance? I heard from a friend of mine that he got 1 month in hotel then the allowance to find a place....how long will it last this procedure?

patagoina
10th Feb 2012, 20:37
I am having a difficult time finding a place to shoot a passport photo with a blue background let alone having 24 of them made. Also they want 12 with white background. I guess the question is, is there time and a place to get taken upon arrival? I remember when I lived is the ME before there were plenty of places with all of the background colors.Thanks

pilotcpb
10th Feb 2012, 20:58
i took a blue bed sheet to the photo lab and had them shoot in front of that, give it a try! i was told you need them right when you arrive so you need to get them before you leave for qatar.

salsaboy
11th Feb 2012, 09:11
I took some wrapping paper to the booth before I left the Uk...

Some of the other guys got them done in a photo shop when they got here which used 'photoshop' to change the background colour, which looked much better than mine!

blusky75
21st Feb 2012, 16:30
did they start again to provide for the accomodation?

F14
21st Feb 2012, 17:44
Word from the big thread was that Qatar Airways leased the new Barwa City development last summer, for just over 7 billion Rial's . First phase is finished Sept 2012. Eventually it will hold 25,000 people.

So I guess this could be why they have told people to take housing allowance.

RSaltre
23rd Feb 2012, 19:12
Went to a few of the sites listed on here and was shocked to find out how expensive it is to rent a car in Doha... Am i missing something???? $1,000/ month for a Ford Explorer???? Seriously ?? How about leasing a car instead??? Or buying one?? Any input would be greatly appreciated

blusky75
23rd Feb 2012, 22:23
i found this website: Oasis Cars - Used Car Showroom (http://www.oasiscars.net) for a long rent a "normal" car costs between 250 and 350 eur (330-470 USD)...

Homo Ludens
24th Feb 2012, 07:14
Long term car rental makes sense only if it's a small car. One of these will take you back
approx 1400-1600 QAR/month, which is what you get from the Company as a transport allowance. I know people who's done this for years.
If you buy a Ford Explorer with a car loan from a bank ('lease' it, as they say in Europe), you'll pay may be 3500 QAR/month (approx 1000 USD) and it'll be yours in 3 years.
You do the math!
Cheers!
H.L.

40&80
24th Feb 2012, 17:00
Hope they fly better and do the math better than they spell accommodation.:D

Non Zero
24th Feb 2012, 23:32
Buy it's better ... long term (3 -4 years)! If less ...rent... u save money!

80-87
25th Feb 2012, 03:03
Rent...No conditions..you can give the thing back.

If you decided to 'depart the fix', you can leave in the middle of the night and owe nobody anything.

If you own the car..you just lost your loot!

jibba_jabba
26th Feb 2012, 20:37
For all those who have not heard bad news after a few Weeks, chances are you are in.

Once you get your offer letter and sign and return the contact, then it still may take a couple months at least before you get a start date. BUT, I would strongly suggest that you stay to prepare for the move either once you get an offer letter or for more security (and less time) shewn you get a start date.

Selling things you don't need, getting rid of clothes you never wear, booking storage space, selling car, gaining advice from your tax department, packing up rooms, canceling services (internet (do this last), utilities, etc), insurance (personal, kids, health, licence, house).

There are plenty of moving checklists on the internet, they are a good template to start with.

But definitely start as early as you can. I did all this in a small amount of time and it was a nightmare. That will teach me to be nice to the company I used to work for and work my holidays before I left! And give yourself at least two Weeks off before you start! You well need it to tidy up little things and communicate with QR/HR.

The hardest part for me is working out what to take and getting it to aQR port !
Excess baggage charges will sting you. But in my experience I will nearly be hiring the 50kg mark with two large bags and carry on.

Can anyone who just joined give some advice on what they would suggest to bring to survive the first week in style?

thanks!

blusky75
5th Mar 2012, 18:51
Could someone already working in QR suggests me which is the best area to look for a flat? any name? residence where to rent a flat full furnished?

thx!:ok:

jibba_jabba
6th Mar 2012, 11:33
Area guide:
Areas and suburbs in Qatar (http://www.expatarrivals.com/qatar/areas-and-suburbs-in-qatar)

Housing is here but it is an effort to get it. Best bet is to jump in a cab and get them to drive you areound to the areas so you can look for yourself.
Also, walk around as much as you can, if you see a sign or a place you like ask the security gaurd if you can look in the for lease unit/villa.

Black Pudding
6th Mar 2012, 13:43
Best bet is not to worry about it until you get here, then ask others who you meet here. You may even end up sharing for a few months with someone you meet that starts same time as yourself. Hire a car when you arrive, best way to get around.

captmav
16th Mar 2012, 15:40
I've seen plenty of accomodation on the internet, but it does seem a little pricey. Anyone know if it is common to make an offer on the rental price or is the stated price concrete?

Flytdeck
18th Mar 2012, 22:31
You might consider taking a monthly room rental at the Ezdan Suites and Hotel. It is a 10 - 20 minute ride to the airport (25 - 30 QAR depending on taxi metre or private taxi). Ten minute walk to the City Centre Mall that has lots of restaurants and a well stocked grocery/department store.

This place is a bit worn around the edges, but clean and, if not on the construction side, quiet. Rents go from 4500 QAR for a small, hotel type room and up. 7500 QAR will give you a studio with kitchen, dishwasher, and washer/dryer, dining room table for six, sitting area with two comfortable chairs and a table, desk, TV, and king size bed. Rooms are serviced twice a week. Price includes cable internet that is high speed enough to carry Skype except marginal after 1700 and on Friday/Saturday.

Facility includes a descent fitness area, steam room, large pool, surprisingly well stocked corner grocery store, two restaurants and a fast food take-out, and parking for one vehicle.

The allowance is 10,000 QAR for F/O and 12,000 QAR for Captain so once out of the hotel, the difference between rent and allowance accumulates in your pocket.

The Ezdan is really for temporary lodging while looking for a permanent place to stay. Remember that they will require one month for security deposit, and first month rent so you will need the cash up front. They will operate on a longer lease or month to month, your choice.

Location is quite good. Twenty minute walk to the Sheraton. Ten minutes to the Corniche. Fifteen minutes to Fudruckers. A simple solution for those arriving to have some breathing space to look around though I think living there long term might be somewhat depressing.

Guiraca_Caerulea
19th Apr 2012, 14:22
Hello,

Before applying and then in anticipation of moving to Doha this summer, have trawled through as many threads as I could find. A couple of questions still lurking around that I'd be grateful if someone could answer:

-Siblings/close friends travel; having a twin sister, I cannot imagine her only coming to Doha once or twice (using my current understanding of the family travel benefits) on an ID90/50. Is there a way that I can purchase cheap(er) tickets for her? Or other close friends who may wish to visit?

-International mobile data use; This will be my first airline job. I quite fancy being able to send a whatsapp/iMessage saying I've arrived safely wherever / if I have a day off not in Doha, be able to Skype, etc. I have had a look on the Qtel and Vodaphone websites, but can't see anything about international data rates. What do most people do?

-How much money would people recommend taking out there originally? To me it seems like there are a lot of things to organise/pay for. I can see that it's possible to have an advance on your salary, but is it really feasible to live on the reduced salary for the couple of months following that (transport I think is my biggest concern as the SO transport allowance doesn't seem to cover Oasis' cheapest deal)?

-Is the transport allowance in with our salaries? That way the money could be used on taxis? Are the taxis reliable enough?

-After the first three days, what do we DO whilst we wait on our RP's? Conscious that it will be boiling hot and I'll most probably be skint!

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer.

Best wishes,
GC.

Iver
20th Apr 2012, 01:28
I found an interesting video about life in Qatar - although it was made for medical doctors considering moving there - still, it would be relevant for pilots with families. The villas in the video seem nice:

Living in Qatar - YouTube

jibba_jabba
20th Apr 2012, 08:55
Hello,

-Siblings/close friends travel; having a twin sister, I cannot imagine her only coming to Doha once or twice (using my current understanding of the family travel benefits) on an ID90/50. Is there a way that I can purchase cheap(er) tickets for her? Only direct family members get any discount.... and only after 3 or 6 months its done through a qr website.... dont stress. Or other close friends who may wish to visit? No way for you to do this for friends.

-International mobile data use; This will be my first airline job. I quite fancy being able to send a whatsapp/iMessage saying I've arrived safely wherever / if I have a day off not in Doha, be able to Skype, etc. I have had a look on the Qtel and Vodaphone websites, but can't see anything about international data rates. What do most people do? Your thinking about it all wrong. Q-tel HALA (prepaid) sim available and top ups are easy. You then buy a 'addon' data pack for data usage.... easy. Like anything, international mobile data rapes your wallet. Their are other business/plans for that, but dont forget alot of places have wifi in the hotels. Dont stress about it. Hala call rates are cheap from Doha and average prices from roaming.

-How much money would people recommend taking out there originally? To me it seems like there are a lot of things to organise/pay for. I can see that it's possible to have an advance on your salary, but is it really feasible to live on the reduced salary for the couple of months following that (transport I think is my biggest concern as the SO transport allowance doesn't seem to cover Oasis' cheapest deal)? Yes you can live on the money. But start saving! initially best to have a handy 5000EUR or US minimum. better if you have 10k. YOU WONT NEED IT ALL, but i say that as some peoples tastes are different and the place can be as cheap or as expensive as you make it.

-Is the transport allowance in with our salaries? That way the money could be used on taxis? Are the taxis reliable enough? Yes 1000 Riyals, it in your contract! taxis are fine, you will get used to it in about a month, but expect to be taken for a ride price wise in the mean time :-)

-After the first three days, what do we DO whilst we wait on our RP's?
You will be doing courses! but some pep.ople are really busy some have alot of time inbetween, its variable. So be flexible. THERE IS HEAPS OF REDTAPE AND ORGANISING FOR YOU TO DO IN THE MEAN TIME SO YOU WILL NEED ALL THE TIME YOU CAN GET FOR RUNNING AROUND AND WORKING OUT HOW THE PLACE FUNCTIONS! Conscious that it will be boiling hot and I'll most probably be skint! Yes, its the desert

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer.

Hope this helps; These questions have been answered alot in other threads and the search function should help you out. take some time to dig for the knowledge as it is here already!.

Guiraca_Caerulea
20th Apr 2012, 14:51
Jibba_jabba,

Thanks for clarifying on a couple of things that have been alluded to in various places.

GC

Caged
20th Sep 2016, 13:40
Hello,

Just a quick question if anybody can help me out. I heard a lot of new joiners are being given company accommodation in Barwa City. Any info on this at all as I have only ever heard of Ain Khalid Gate or Holiday Villas as being main areas for housing. Is this near the airport, schools etc? Is it a decent area?

Thanks