PDA

View Full Version : New threat from Assad

Finningley Boy
30th Oct 2011, 14:30
Assad: challenge Syria at your peril - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/8857898/Assad-challenge-Syria-at-your-peril.html)

Are Obama, Cameron and the like indicating any intention to have a try at protecting Syrian Civilians now? Possibly emboldened by their recent success in Lybia?:confused:

FB:)

NutLoose
30th Oct 2011, 14:34
After what happened to Gaddaffi prior to his death, can we not get Corporal Jones off Dads Army to produce a video saying "you won't like it up 'um" and email it to him?

Finningley Boy
30th Oct 2011, 16:48
Nutloose,

It would need to be recorded in Arabic, or something like that, of course. I can't see Jonesy, for all his military exploits overseas in the Sudan etc, being too conversant?:}

This means it could end up as a red rag to a Bull, as the inept translation actually says; up yours and like it!:eek:

FB:ok:

VinRouge
30th Oct 2011, 19:34
Good to see Assad is being a good sport with Movember!

jamesdevice
30th Oct 2011, 20:36
Assad isn't making a threat.
He is simply making the very salient point that if his Ba'athist regime is overthrown, it will be replaced by Islamic fundamentalists, and will generate yet more recruits for Al Quaeda

OafOrfUxAche
30th Oct 2011, 20:45
I heard he has WMD which could be deployed against Europe within 40 seconds...

Finningley Boy
30th Oct 2011, 21:12
I heard he has WMD which could be deployed against Europe within 40 seconds...

Surely minutes sir?:confused:

FB:)

jamesdevice
30th Oct 2011, 21:19
Strangely enough, Syria was one of the middle east countries which never attempted to purchase war gas or nuclear materials from any of my former employers. Nor did the grapevine suggest anyone else was supplying., or that they had a local production capability.

Sir George Cayley
30th Oct 2011, 21:51
The worst case of a UK government using the army to kill its own tax payers I can think of was the Bloody Sunday Massacre in the Bogside, in which 26 died.

Compare this with Syria where reportedly 4000 have died in this Arab spring.

I've read reports that previous uprisings have been put down with even more bloodshed, between 10,000 and 25,000 people reported killed or injured.

Just put that in a European context. Even 400 people killed by the state for protesting in anywhere within a greater Europe would be cataclysmic, let alone 4000 deaths.

It seems like the west is inured to large numbers of dead when it happens east of Rome, yet these are people like me and maybe you who are absolutely determined to see change for the better.

The threat of Islamist Fundamentalists filing any power vacuum is a good scare tactic not apparently borne out by events across the rest of Arab north Africa.

Sir George Cayley

Parapunter
30th Oct 2011, 22:01
He is simply making the very salient point that if his Ba'athist regime is overthrown, it will be replaced by Islamic fundamentalists, and will generate yet more recruits for Al Quaeda I'm not so sure about that. We haven't seen it elsewhere in the Arab spring & that is down to the message Al Qaeda send out. Arabs want freedom, security & prosperity on the whole - hey, they're just like us! Al Qaeda offer a hair shirted vision of society & Unending emnity to the west. It's been shown that it's not going over well in places where one would expect the forment to prove quite fertile.

Assad is playing the cards one would expect from a dictator under pressure. No one has a crystal ball, not even Assad.

rh200
30th Oct 2011, 23:32
The threat of Islamist Fundamentalists filing any power vacuum is a good scare tactic not apparently borne out by events across the rest of Arab north Africa.

And the Al Qaeda flying over the court house in Bengahzi is?

These people are not stupid, they put on the face they want you to see until its to late. NTC may mean well, but they are nice looking front men, nothing more. Egypt is walking a fine line at the moment, and its not over there by a long shot, he's hoping it will end nicely.

Buster Hyman
31st Oct 2011, 01:41
After what happened to Gaddaffi prior to his death, can we not get Corporal Jones off Dads Army to produce a video saying "you won't like it up 'um" and email it to him?
...and, once he's caught, Cpl. Jones will offer some sage advice; "Don't tell em yer name Assad!"

ORAC
31st Oct 2011, 04:35
Strangely enough, Syria was one of the middle east countries which never attempted to purchase war gas or nuclear materials from any of my former employers. Nor did the grapevine suggest anyone else was supplying., or that they had a local production capability.

Operation Orchard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Orchard)

Syrian Chemical Weapons (http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/syria/cw.htm)

Syrian Bio-Warfare (http://www.newenglishreview.org/Jerry_Gordon/Syria's_Bio-Warfare_Threat%3A_an_interview_with_Dr._Jill_Dekker/)