PDA

View Full Version : Start training beginning of next year, any last thoughts/advice?

saunj11
29th Oct 2011, 18:48
I'm 18, finishing up school end of next month, and then come next year I am going to be going to Flight Safety Academy. Plan is to do their F-1 visa training course, and hopefully get to do some OPT after to build hours. After this I will go on to do maybe a part time degree through one of the colleges over there.

System Error - FlightSafety Academy (http://www.flightsafetyacademy.com/fsa/2dd77098-86e7-7a68-c3d6-000069c1c215/cm/v/15127/M-1%20or%20F-1%20Visa%20Flight%20Training.pdf)

Just wanted to get some opinions on what you guys think of my plan? Am I the right age even to start doing this? From what I have seen, most people training at flight schools are in their 20's +. Reason I worry over this is due to employment issues , but I really don't see no harm in starting early?

Lastly, has anyone here got any comments about the flight school I have chosen? Their seems to be limited info around the net and even on these forums, mostly out dated. They seem to be a HUGE company, so im not sure if i should even be concerned.

Am about to send through the financial bits, pay the deposits etc and from then onwards there is basicly no return. Just need to book flights over and get on my way.:ok: Appreciate any helpfull comments:)

Poeli
29th Oct 2011, 19:12
what is your backup plan if you don't find a job as a pilot? Do you have a degree you can rely on? How will you pay back the loans? How will you live? All things to think about! Why do the flight training first and then the degree and not vica versa? (I'm not saying it's wrong, but I'm doing it the other way).

saunj11
29th Oct 2011, 19:27
As far as I see it, many degree"s these aviation colleges are offering are worthless, they are just something to put on the C.V , because airlines want to see some college experience? Am i correct in saying that. What can one do with a degree in aviation? Im talking bout an associates or bachelors where the student will major in "commercial aviation". Not a degree like Aeronautical engineering. If and when I do my degree, I will go for something like you say that will provide me with a stable back up. Law or Engineering.

Parents have agreed to pay for training. As far as living, they offer housing, if there is none available at the time, I have looked at other places.

Why do the flight training first? Well I cant really answer that , I have just thought that it would be better to get through everything, take a shot at getting a job (Flight Instructor) and then do a degree part time. That way you building up hours while doing your degree. I understand that chances are very slim at actually getting employed at present, but its worth the risk. And as far as visa/employment issues go, I will be able to get permanent residency in the states through my brother when he gets citizenship (Expected 2013) Either I will stay over there or come back and try my luck back home.

Understand what you saying though, I would really like to get the crappy part over first it makes sense (Getting the degree) But im kinda going for the deserts first;)

saunj11
30th Oct 2011, 05:17
Thanks SoCal for the post! Yeah I understand that OPT is not guaranteed, and realize as well that chances of actually being taken being an international student is very low. As far as the residency goes, looked over that as well , I am really willing to wait it out, studying back home would not be a problem. I have looked at the processes for license conversion as well. But basically I want to end up in the US , eventually. I have heard somewhere on pprune that you went to the states from another country ( correct me if I'm wrong) Do you mind telling me how you got in? Are you on a HB-1 or have you got residency/citizenship. I know that they are so sticky over there with immigration, interested to hear how others got in working within the aviation sector.