PDA

View Full Version : Do we actually FLY or guide the a/c through the SID and STAR?

meatlover
29th Oct 2011, 17:56
Hi all,

I have a few questions if someone can take the time to answer.

According to what I read lately, non of the Pilots have to do any holding patterns anymore, no such thing as flying the SID or STAR, but it is all set up on the FMS and the aircraft does it for you.
How true is this?

A friend of mine who just underwent his TR and is now online said that in all his training so far he hasn't had to ONCE actually guide the aircraft through a STAR to any of his destinations, but the aircraft just does it for you until you are radar vectored, which is the only time you will guide the aircraft where to go.
Is this true?

Input is appreciated.

fireflybob
29th Oct 2011, 19:09
Until the FMC fails (and it can do!) then probably yes.

flyburg
29th Oct 2011, 19:10
I don't understand the question! Are you implying we don't fly Sid and stars and holdings or are you implying we don't fly them by hand or are you implying we don't fly them without the use of navigational equipment and fly them raw data?

dhardesthard
29th Oct 2011, 19:19
Holding patterns may or may not still be required depending on traffic, weather or as required by ATC.
STARS and SIDS are all pre-programmed but the crew still have to check them for validity and accuracy and sometimes have to alter the constraints (crossing speeds, heights, times).
Most airlines encourage the use of the automation especially in the terminal area so the autopilot is on most of the time.
Whether you guide or fly the plane, it is the same thing to me.
Your friend has over simplified his training as I am sure that his simulator training involved lots of system failures and manual flying.
His line training would have been a bit easier as it is generally a normal operation seeing that you are burning expensive gas and have real passengers on board.

grounded27
30th Oct 2011, 00:31
Monitor, if need for adjustment guide, when the previous fails fly.

Cardinal
30th Oct 2011, 22:01
We're permitted to (and do) handfly RNAV SIDS. STARS too, if you wish. Our lot has an enlightened automation policy.