PDA

View Full Version : Virgin LGW-LAS

smallpilot
28th Oct 2011, 12:07
Travelling on VS LGW to LAS next week. I assume its a 747-400?
In economy, what can I expect in terms of meals / entertainment etc ?
I think its a fairly long flight, approx 10 hours? First time I've gone direct, have always changed in the East Coast previously, soany ideas what the routing will be?
Thanks in advance for any tips/comments.

Pilotinmydreams
28th Oct 2011, 15:34
No idea about an answer to your question but are you off to the Sema/Apex show? I'm off there and leaving Sunday a.m. al-be-it with American via Chicago.

PAXboy
28th Oct 2011, 23:44
As you are asking these questions in here, I presume that the carrier's web site does not list aircraft type, or meal service or have any special pages about IFE, such as what films are showing?

(http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/)

Pilotinmydreams
7th Nov 2011, 12:45
Just thought i'd report back now that i'm back from las Vegas.

American Airlines website (and the booking) showed we'd be on a 777 for the hop to the U.S. I was disappointed that it was in fact a 767 which didn't have individual entertainment screens - that said it was fairly easy to see the screen from wehre I was sat. The leg room however was appauling for a reasonably long flight. The 737 that took us from Chigago to Las Vegas has far more room and a more comfy seat.

The meal was actually really nice although my chicken and rice only had 2 bits of chicken :-) The meal on the way back was cheese ravioli and was also rather nice.

The Cabin crew were excellent both ways, and in particular Belinda (I think that was her name) who confiscated our bottle of Southern Comfort (I had no idea we aren't allowed to take our own alcohol on to drink but in hindsight it's obvious why not!) but did so in a pleasant manner and joked about it with us and passengers sitting near us - saying that the Pilots had drunk it all. She didn't have to give it back at the end of the flight but did so. If ever there was an example of how good in flight service can be, she would be it. If you happen to read this Belinda (apologies if I got your name wrong) thank you for a very pleasant flight from your 'troublesome British alcoholic passengers' :-) and thank you for my AA sticker.

The only complaint I have - and i'm pretty sure it would be nothing to do with the airline - is that my suitcase was opened somewhere on the return journey and the small present that I bought for my wife removed. Not sure really if i'm able to do anything about that but if anyone reads this and knows to whom I should complain then please let me know. Also, both wheels were smashed off the suitcase which just reaffirmed how bags are handled at airports!

smallpilot
17th Nov 2011, 15:10
my experience for what its worth...
We all had to check-in again at LGW regardless if we'd done it online or not 'as it was a different aircraft' according to the check-in girl... ended up being given different seats, not great. Outbound delayed by 2.5 hours as well.
Surprised to find the a/c was configured as 454 seater, all economy on main deck, prem economy upstairs, dont think there was any upper class at all. Capt told us we had 438 aboard, was certainly full in our section. 31" seat pitch on an 11 hour flight isnt the most comfy in a 3-4-3 across config, felt more like a holiday charter to the Med.

Food - the bangers + mash on the way out was edible, same couldn't be said for the curry on the return flight. The later outbound 'snack' of a flattened sausage roll was also inedible. Also not happy that they announced alchol would no longer be served about halfway through the outbound flight 'due to the excess amount consumed and we have run out.' It was clear the same few people were constantly re-visiting the galleys and getting all the drinks, maybe the crew could of either stopped serving the same greedy few earlier or come round with a second for the rest of us before supplies ran low?

IFE - Virgin, AT LEAST LEAVE A MAG OR HAVE A GUIDE FOR US! none of the seats in our row on the way back had a mag so it was hit + miss what we were watching. Did ask the cabin crew twice who promised to get a mag but neither time came back. Surprised all the films played on one loop, I've been on other carriers where you can pick + choose what you want to watch and when. Several Pax complained their screens didnt work. Also handsets weren't detachable from armrest sides (really awkward for changing channels etc). At least we didnt have to pay for headsets which was good.

Flights both ways smooth and made good time, crew were efficient + friendly, not their fault they have to server up cr*p food or the IFE probs.
Vegas itself was awesome as ever. Do the crews still party at the Palms rooftop bar? I'm sure its one of the better stop-overs for them!

thanks.

Wycombe
17th Nov 2011, 15:40
The LGW-based 744's do have an Upper Section, but it is small, at the front of the main cabin. The new 330's don't have Upper at all at present, which is long story (covered by many other threads on here)

I've flown to LAS (earlier this year), and have previously done trips to UVF and MCO on the VS LGW "beach" fleet. I've also done trips on the LHR-based 744's and 346's to SFO and LAX.

The LGW fleet has lagged behind in interior fit and IFE for several years, but the good news is that the 744's (aside from 1 that's being retired I think) are about to go through an upgrade programme to add the latest AVOD (the same system on the new 330's) and the leather Premium Econ seats that the LHR fleet have had for a couple of years now.

Good news for the legions of people that VS carry from LGW (and MAN, GLA that use the same aircraft on rotation).

Cyber Bob
17th Nov 2011, 15:52
I believe the IFE retro fit commences Spring 2012 with all of the 'Beach fleet' receiving the new AVOD system, new seats and other enhancements. £30m worth of investment

frequentflyer2
17th Nov 2011, 16:00
We're due to fly LGW to BGI with VS on April 26, returning May 6. We're booked in Premium Economy. Any chance the flights will be operated by aircraft with the new interiors?

spannersatcx
17th Nov 2011, 16:08
We're due to fly LGW to BGI with VS on April 26, returning May 6. We're booked in Premium Economy. Any chance the flights will be operated by aircraft with the new interiors?
I would very much doubt it.

Cyber Bob
17th Nov 2011, 16:19
On occasions 744's from the LHR fleet operate ex LGW and they already have the reconfigured seats in W. There might be a chance of this happening if the retro fits commence around the time of your trip to BGI - but only a slim one at best.

frequentflyer2
17th Nov 2011, 19:08
Oh well. Fingers crossed. So long as it gets us there, and we don't end up being downgraded which apparently happens at times.

22/04
18th Nov 2011, 15:32
One thing you can be pretty sure of the cabin crew will do their best for you- I still think VS cabin crew take some beating

A shame that sometimes they are let down by what they have to work with.

Drinks have never run out on an LHR flight (although champagne has). Do the crew have less loaded or are drinking levels higher on these flights?

Hunstanton
24th Nov 2011, 22:39
Oh well. Fingers crossed. So long as it gets us there, and we don't end up being downgraded which apparently happens at times.

Really? I've never heard of that happening. Surely if you have paid for the seat then you are entitled to the level you have paid for.

:confused:

Hartington
25th Nov 2011, 22:45
Downgrading is unusual but it is not unheard of. As long as airlines practice overbooking there will be some risk that a passenger may need to be moved from the class they paid for.

ExXB
26th Nov 2011, 00:54
Downgrading is unusual but it is not unheard of. As long as airlines practice overbooking there will be some risk that a passenger may need to be moved from the class they paid for.

Regulation 261 (applicable to ALL flights from EU airports and to ALL flights to the EU for EU carriers) provides that 75% of the fare should be refunded in case of downgrading. Of course, as is the case of much of 261, there is no definition of 'the fare'. i.e. does it include taxes (it shouldn't, but any class difference should be refunded), fees (not third party imposed fees for security, airport, etc) and charges (it most certainly should include these - in particular fuel surcharges). Is it 75% of the fare for the entire journey, including sectors flown in the proper class? Is it 75% of the fare on the sector concerned, which could be more than the fare actually paid (if travelling via a higher rated point) ? :ugh:

You can expect the airline to interpret this to their advantage, unless you are a premium cardholder. If you happen to be Gold on BA, expect to be treated like dirt - as I was when they attempted to downgrade me from First to Economy enroute at BKK on a LHR-SYD flight.

Also to whom should the refund go to? The purchaser (i.e. your employer) or you? :confused: