PDA

View Full Version : Pilot saves lives in plane crash drama (seriously)

Ovation
28th Oct 2011, 07:16
Source: NT News 28/10

PILOT SAVES LIVES IN PLANE CRASH DRAMA

THE pilot who successfully crash-landed his plane at Jabiru Airport keeping his passenger safe said he was just doing what he was paid to do.

Jason Botten , 31, of Gunbalanya Air Charters successfully made the emergency landing on the plane's belly when the nose wheels did not come down.

He described the steel-on-tarmac slide down the runway as a "rougher than normal landing."

Mr Botten said the plane vibrated violently as the nose dragged the length of the runway before coming to rest.

Mr Botten, a co-pilot, 24, and a passenger, 29, all walked away shaken but uninjured.

"I was just doing my job. I don't want to be made out that I am some sort of special bloke. I was just doing what I am paid to do,"

CIVIL aviation authorities yesterday began an investigation.

Engineers inspected the wreckage of a twin-engine light aircraft.

The Cessna 310 crash-landed at Jabiru airport, 220km east of Darwin, on Wednesday about 6.30 pm.

The plane was on its way to Maningrida from the outstation of Manmoi when it was diverted to Jabiru for the emergency landing.

Contrary to earlier police reports there was just one passenger.

The pilot and his passenger escaped unhurt.

zanthrus
28th Oct 2011, 08:25
"Steel on Tarmac"

Thats why it crashed!

Really if a C310 were made of steel it wouldn't fly at all.

Idiot press.

sixtiesrelic
28th Oct 2011, 09:23
Nose wheels??? Gawd aren't they precious.
They perhaps COULD pull up a photo off the net before making up their stories.

Plow King
28th Oct 2011, 10:23
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/athomp23/296331_10150345748481186_643071185_8902590_1909021968_n.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/athomp23/294563_10150345743991186_643071185_8902579_1479971451_n.jpg

Desert Flower
28th Oct 2011, 11:52
I see he didn't jettison the tip tanks to reduce the fuel load in case it caught fire! ;)

DF.

Hasherucf
28th Oct 2011, 13:34
That just ruined a very nice paint job :(

Two_dogs
28th Oct 2011, 14:00
What a shame to see such a tidy looking machine in this predicament. :{

I have always had a soft spot for the C310, as it was my first twin endorsement. A very nice aircraft to fly with good speed, range (with nacelle tanks), and docile handling, despite my inability to complete two consecutive nice landings!:*

Condolences to the owner and the pilot; but never the less, a successful outcome which could have turned out very differently. Hopefully a couple of new props and engine bulk strips will see this fine aircraft back in the air again.

Regards,

Ejector
30th Oct 2011, 15:39
He did a bloody good job keeping it almost on the centerline.

m.r.a.z.23
30th Oct 2011, 23:12
Paint job only a few months old!

When did Jabiru get runway markings/a centreline?

Fratemate
31st Oct 2011, 02:06
My only question would be why didn't he shut down the donks, once he had landed and while the nose was still capable of being held off the runway? I know it's still going to require inspections, testing etc but reducing the shock-loading on the engines and damage to the prop tips is possible, even if the nose landing is not preventable.

I know I'm 'armchair experting' and there may be very good reasons for not doing so. I'm just interested what they might be for my own, continuing, education.

Capt Fathom
31st Oct 2011, 02:20
why didn't he shut down the donks, once he had landed and while the nose was still capable of being held off the runway

Maybe he probably did! The airflow would keep the props turning for a while!

You wouldn't feather the props. A blade could dig in and take the engine clean out of the mounts. That would be a mess!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
31st Oct 2011, 03:33
Slight drift.......

Many moons ago at SY, a 'CSIRO' 310 did a 'planned' wheels - up on the grass.
The aircraft at the time had two bladed props.
As there was no doubt plenty of distance available, the pilot switched off both, then feathered both, then used the starter motor to align the props 'horizontal' prior to the landing.......

The result, some skin damage to the belly and a 'lost' ADF antenna or two.....

:ok:

Jamair
31st Oct 2011, 04:25
My Aztec POH actually recommended that engines be shut down and props aligned.... but FWIW, the repairs are the insurers problem, you would look pretty silly doing a stall-spin-crash-burn-die on short final because you were concentrating on minimising the repair bill rather than landing safely.

BULLDOG 248
31st Oct 2011, 04:26
Anyone remember the Hazo's C310 with unlocked nose leg???? 2 utes and a long bit of rope did the trick:D

Fratemate
31st Oct 2011, 04:31
I'm not saying he definitely didn't shut them down and I'd be very pleased to hear he did but looking at those tips and the extent to which they are bent backwards, my extremely limited accident investigation knowledge would suggest he had power on when they touched the runway. He still did a good job but I like to hear stories like Ex FSO's, where less damage is done and skill and airmanship really shine through :ok:

PLovett
31st Oct 2011, 05:15
I stand to be corrected but I believe that the props being bent rearwards indicates that there was no power being delivered at the time of contact. The props bend forwards when they contact the ground under power.

Looks a nice paint job (was) and did enjoy flying the C310 (great load and range - especially with VG kit installed) but not as much fun as a Baron. :ok:

Fratemate
31st Oct 2011, 07:05
I think you're right, PLovett, if there is a goodly amount of power applied at the time e.g. take-off power but in the low power cases e.g. at idle, I believe the forward speed of the aircraft overcomes the relative 'forward speed' of the prop tips (combination of tip speed and prop pitch relative to the ground it is striking), which it obviously doesn't with lots of power on. So with lots of power on the might bend forward but with little power on (but power, nevertheless) they usually(?) bend back. I think I know what I'm trying to say but, as ever, happy to be proved wrong by those in the know :)

solowflyer
31st Oct 2011, 07:20
Would of loved to been a fly on the wall when uncle Luther got the news his pride and joy is sitting on its nose. Bet the words being used would of made a sailor blush.

Stationair8
31st Oct 2011, 10:27
Full marks to PLovett.

The Hazo's C310 saved by a quickthinking engineer, the trusty work ute, the owner's Ford Fairlane and some rope. Bet on-one was wearing a safety vest, or did a safety impact case for that party trick. Should be some footage of that somewhere, it made the Channel 9 news.

Manmoi must have been improved over the years, it was pretty marginal in the C207 or C210. Is the wrecked C210 still at the end of the strip?

AussieNick
1st Nov 2011, 02:18
yep, not much left now, but its still there.

strips 1000m now, easy for the 206s and the 310