PDA

View Full Version : Doubts in the back of my mind

STRINGBAG
20th Mar 2001, 16:50
I Have wanted to be a professional pilot for a long time.At 34 Started flying again and took the navs at 36,worked very hard but did really poorly in them.I am 38 now and want to have another go at the JAA exams but have doubts about whether i will make the grade and get a flying job eventually.However i can't just walk away.
Is there anybody who started late and struggled a little but got there in the end,who could quell these doubts of mine.

smallfish
20th Mar 2001, 20:11
Try a fresh approach, do something different to last time and you may crack it. Full time course or something?

Chirpy Pilot
20th Mar 2001, 21:40
Justkeep working at it. Like you, I did as well and now rewarded with my first job. Makes all the hard work worthwhile

Flypuppy
20th Mar 2001, 23:39
There may be more in the same position as you than you realise. So dont be disheartened. Dont give up. If it is what you really want to do give it another go, and another.

Fokjok
23rd Mar 2001, 00:16
Most importantly, get some top quality training, from Cabair perhaps (yes, I know the usual Cabair whingers will respond - but the pass rate is very impressive, and it's money well spent).

If you can, do a full-time course. Immerse yourself in it. However you tackle it, do LOTS of preparation. Know the Trevor Thom books or equivalent back-to-front, and study your old notes as much as possible, before starting the course.

Stay focused, and if you need help, ask for it. You can even ask here if you need to. Out of interest, where are you geographically? Depending on this, others may be able to step forward with further assistance....

STRINGBAG
23rd Mar 2001, 02:27

STRINGBAG
23rd Mar 2001, 03:04
Thanks everybody for the advice and encouragement,alot of positive ideas and useful tips so far .
I am based in Manchester, and i must confess FOCKJOCK it was a case of not really knowing where to seek advice last time when needed. Struggling on alone, and although this was not the only cause that prevented me from performing better,i do believe it was a contributing factor.

HugMonster
23rd Mar 2001, 21:54
I echo those who suggested you do a full-time study course.

Do some research around the schools - I did all mine at PPSC, and absolutely no complaints at all.

If you're dedicated to it, then dedicate yourself 100% to it. It doesn't work with much less than that! :)

Good luck!

By the way - there are plenty of pilots out there who started when older than you - no barrier at all.

robione
23rd Mar 2001, 22:00
YEP thats correct.Started my ATPLs at 40,just got my shiny new JAR/CPL/MEP after a long struggle.Im 42 soon to be 43.