PDA

View Full Version : Your experience before your self spon type rating

TFR
14th Jul 2001, 17:34
Don't want to re-open the debate as to the pros/cons of paying for your own type rating but specifically would like to know from those of you out there who did it, were you

[list=1] Low hours new CPL/IR (like me) and did it to help get that elusive 1st job? Experienced and did it to enhance your licence in order to target specific carrier(s)?[/list=a]

Answer 1 or 2 please but any other comments about prior experience also welcome of course.

TFR

Manflex55
14th Jul 2001, 21:41
Here we go again,

A Type Rating is USELESS unless U have TIME in the plane. It only shows that :
1. U have so much money U dunno what to do with it
2. U may B able to understand the systems of an a/c
What it does NOT show is whether U're a good pilot, ie whether U can actually fly the a/c safely.

If U want to increase your chances to B hired, build some hours in any a/c (preferably a ME), but don't waste your time & money.

I used to work for a US Part 135 company based in FL & one day we needed a Citation F/O (TR not needed to fly in the right seat). The choice was between a type-rated guy with 5 hours on the a/c & a non type-rated guy with a bunch of turboprop hours. Both did a 30mn flight with the Chief Pilot, the turboprop guy was hired. Of course he didn't know the a/c systems, but his general handling & his landings were far better than the other one.

MF