PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 162 Hour Building

DecendNow
25th Oct 2011, 09:14
I have been thinking about doing some hour building during my next holiday to Florida. The place I was thinking of doing it with are getting a number of 162s. Given money is always an issue I was thinking of building some time on this cheaper machine.
I have a JAA PPL and was wondering if anybody can see any issues with this from a log book point of view? I believe it’s classed as an LSA in the US and, although I’ve done a bit of Googling, I’m not sure what it’s classed as this side of the pond.
I’ll apologise in advance as sometimes, when you ask a question like this, someone points you to an obvious section of LASORS or similar. I’ve done a bit of a search and couldn’t find anything obvious! J
I don’t want to do a bunch of hours and then find I can’t use them towards a CPL. Anyone have any thoughts?

SEP Flyer
25th Oct 2011, 10:29
In a similar vein, I asked if I could do some hour building in an ultralight (in an Ikarus C42 or Zenair CH701) towards the hours required prior to doing my IMC, as the hiring costs are so much lower than hiring a C152. As the CAA consider this a 'simple single engine aircraft' then the hours will not be counted. This can be found on page 285 in Lasors.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Oct 2011, 12:54
I think that this should be fairly straightforward. If it wouldn't meet the JAR microlight definition - MTOW below 450kg and stall below 35kn CAS, you should be okay to use the hours.

G

McGoonagall
25th Oct 2011, 13:06
MTOW 599kg.
Stall 40kcas.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Oct 2011, 14:26
MTOW 599kg.
Stall 40kcas.
= not a microlight under JAR.

Therefore the hours count for a JAR CPL, or PPL/CPL recency.

G

DecendNow
26th Oct 2011, 19:04
That tends to confirm my thinking but always worth checking. I winder if EASA will have an impact? Cheers all.

rtl_flyer
27th Oct 2011, 15:10
I was flying a C162 last week nice a/c.

However I don't think renting a C162 will be cheaper than a C150 as they are 'new' and need to be paid for.