PDA

View Full Version : BA flight and open cockpit window

Picl
24th Oct 2011, 21:38
Hi,

I am hoping that someone in the forum might be able to point me in the right direction with the following query (Mods - please move this thread if I have posted it in the wrong area, thank you!):

On Thursday 12th July 2007 I was travelling with BA from LHR to MUC at approximately midday (I can't recall the flight number, sorry). Our flight took off as normal but within minutes of take off it became apparent we were circling London. Cabin crew were then directed to their seats for landing and we were informed by the Captain that the cockpit window was still open and that they had been unable to close it. Our flight landed back at LHR within 5-10 minutes of take off. Once back on the ground, we were kept on the aircraft for approximately 3 hours whilst the problem with the window was fixed. The crew was also changed during this time and our flight took off without further problem.

I assumed that an incident such as this would have been reported and a report filed with the AAIB. I have tried to search on their website numerous times since 2007 (I know that some reports can take a long time to be publicised - I think what happened would be classed as a 'Serious Incident') but have not been able to find anything. Please could someone tell me if I am looking in the right place? If not, where should I be looking?

I know this incident happened in 2007 but it would be of great interest to me to read any report that was filed.

Many thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

A Comfy Chair
25th Oct 2011, 09:04
I would hazard a guess that a report from the airline would be filed, but no publishable report would have been made by the AAIB.

I also doubt it would have been classed as a serious incident if it occurred immediately after takeoff. If it opened up at high altitude you'd probably have a report to read ;).

Chuchinchow
3rd Dec 2011, 21:01
See http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/283785-g-busi-dv-window-opens-6000ft.html

crewmeal
4th Dec 2011, 14:03
At least it happened on ascent unlike the the BA 1-11 BA 5390 BHX - AGP back in 1990.

TopBunk
4th Dec 2011, 17:05
At least it happened on ascent unlike the the BA 1-11 BA 5390 BHX - AGP back in 1990.

Pray when exactly do you think that happened then? iirc, it was in the climb passing FL180 or 190. OK, so yes it was higher, but it was certainly still in the "ascent" phase.

crewmeal
4th Dec 2011, 17:40
Pray when exactly do you think that happened then?

I know it was in the climb. That's why I said ascent!

TopBunk
5th Dec 2011, 05:15
I'm so sorry, obviously my dictionary definition of ascent is different to yours:hmm:

Piltdown Man
5th Dec 2011, 12:02
an incident such as this would have been reported and a report filed with the AAIB.

I'm sure it would have been reported (via an appropriate system) but whether or not the AAIB would want to do anything with or not, is up to them. It's a fact of life in aviation that there several incidents of this type every day. The important thing is what is done to prevent their re-occurrence.

PM