PDA

View Full Version : Differences between Soviet and Western aircraft types

N.Ch.
24th Oct 2011, 12:55
I am doing a research on training system differences between Soviet and Western aircraft types. I have a question for instructors who have trained Russian pilots. What were the main difficulties you have faced while training them? Pick at least 2 points and explain why you chose them.
1. English language
2. Mentality differences
3. Cockpit navigation differences
4. High university education has too extended learning program which does not concentrate on piloting
5. Just local market understanding
6. The lack of motivation
7. Number of cabin crew (as it is known, Tu-154 has 4-5 people crew compared to Boeing 737 2 people team).

B2N2
24th Oct 2011, 13:29
I have never flown any Russian aircraft but I have flown with one Russian student, but that doens't make me an expert by any means.
Under the "Russian" system (read up to 1982) pilots were selected, as in the "Party" selected who was eligible.
Almost all civilian pilots would be former military so in the civilian system they would still fly as such:
Commander, co-pilot, radio operator, Navigator/bombardier, Mechanic/Flight engineer. That makes a crew of 5.
The Eastern bloc airlines all used to be government or state airlines (flag carriers) which means cost was not really an primary concern.
Western airplanes went to a 2 man crew to get rid of one salary in the operating cost.
Russian is one of the official ICAO languages so English was not taught.
For Commercial flights to the West a radio operator who spoke English was used.

Genghis the Engineer
24th Oct 2011, 16:23
I am doing a research on training system differences between Soviet and Western aircraft types. I have a question for instructors who have trained Russian pilots. What were the main difficulties you have faced while training them? Pick at least 2 points and explain why you chose them.

I've trained one Russian pilot, who posts on here as UltraNomad - so you can always ask him his take on it. I've also worked in Russia, but it was a long time ago and whilst I was around aeroplanes, I did no flying.

1. English language
The man's a translator, I think his English may have been better than mine.

2. Mentality differences
Surprisingly non-procedural, needed help using checklists, making Captain's brief, using procedures rather than gut instinct in things like PFLs. I do wonder if this might be allied to the Russian preference for oral rather than written examinations in its education system?

3. Cockpit navigation differences
I perceived no issues that were different to a British pilot might have.

4. High university education has too extended learning program which does not concentrate on piloting
In general, I've found that Russians are better educated and value education more than Brits and many Americans. He was no exception.

5. Just local market understanding
Not sure I understand the question.

6. The lack of motivation
I've known very few people better motivated, and when I worked in Russia 20 years ago I also found the people I worked with had a level of passion for their work which was rather enjoyable.

7. Number of cabin crew (as it is known, Tu-154 has 4-5 people crew compared to Boeing 737 2 people team).

It was a Grumman AA5b - no cabin crew, we had to bring our own sandwiches!

G