PDA

View Full Version : Emirates with a record

TheColonel
24th Oct 2011, 05:05
hello ppruners,

question regards to employment with emirates if you have a criminal record from back when you were an 18 yr old kid??

Is there no hope? Has anyone ever been employed by emirates or any middle east carrier with a record ??? when in the recruiting process do they check your background?

thanks for any feedback...

Metro man
24th Oct 2011, 06:50
You will need to declare any conviction as lying on an application is grounds for instant dismissal, even years down the track. Expect records to be thoroughly checked after what happened in 2001.

What you actually did may have some bearing on the decision. Was it more serious than a fight in a pub ?:hmm:

Luke SkyToddler
24th Oct 2011, 07:55
Depends what country you're from ... a lot of countries have a Rehabilitation of Offenders act or something similar that automatically wipes your criminal record clean after so many years. In the UK / Australia / New Zealand it's normally 7 years. There are obviously some crimes that do not qualify to be removed from the record.

But I would imagine, if you furnish a clean criminal record certificate from the police, there really is no way they can check up because it's removed from the system forever.

You would need to be careful though, for example if it was something to do with drugs, and you tried to travel to the USA during that time and they refused you entry because of your criminal record, that will be in the Yank system forever, regardless of what your home country did with your record. A cousin of mine had that problem, he did something silly when he was a teenager, he's now a respectable and successful hospital surgeon, but he can never travel to the USA, even though it's been decades since his record was "wiped clean" in his home country.

TheColonel
24th Oct 2011, 09:18
Thanks for the response.

Yeah its a minor offence that happened at age 18 and is now "spent"

Dont know if i have to mention it to employers since its Spend and essentially off the record now, not sure how much they find out when doing a police check...

TheColonel
24th Oct 2011, 23:45
Anyone know in that case, if anyone has ever been hired as an FO in EK with a record?

Not after names or circumstances, just if its possible and what EKs stance is on it.

Cheers!

Landflap
25th Oct 2011, 09:05
If it really was "minor" and "spent", declare it if you have to. Mention it if it comes up. Selection Boards love honesty. If it is a disqualifyer, you are better off coming to grief now rather than later if it ever re-surfaces.

lnavvnav
25th Oct 2011, 14:17
Spent is spent. In other words you've already done your time. If you mention it on your application I doubt you will proceed any further.

I wouldn't mention it and if it ever came up (which I highly doubt) then deal with it then. If they've spent thousands on training you and you've been a good honest worker for the previous so many years I doubt they'll sack you over a minor altercation with the law over 10 years earlier!

Only my two cents worth! :)

poss
25th Oct 2011, 18:48
Just a thought but perhaps you could use it as an opportunity to show growth and development from the offence.

TheColonel
25th Oct 2011, 20:27
Thanks guys.

Yeah thats exactly what i thought, if i tell em i have a record, that will be the end of that. I was just hoping someone would prove me wrong, but i doubt it.

Spent is spent. Whole purpose of it being spent is so it doesnt interfere with ya life down the track.

Cheers guys.

yardman
29th Oct 2011, 18:28
Say nothing. If you do you're history.

TheColonel
2nd Nov 2011, 08:12
On that note, could someone tell me when in the process of applying to emirates, the background check is done?

Appreciate it