PDA

View Full Version : Lufthansa 747-4

Enji
24th Oct 2011, 02:52
Hi there,

Just booked flights from FRA-BKK with Lufthansa on the 744.

My question is - is there any personal IFE on the back of the seats? I've searched youtube and couldn't find any recent videos. Checked online and from reading at first, it looked like there was no IFE at all apart from one of the TVs you share with about 100 others. Came across something else after that suggested some of the 744s got upgraded.

Anyone able to help me out? A 10 and a half hour flight without any personal IFE will be a hard one being that I'm not normally able to sleep when flying. :O

Appreciate any help

ZFT
24th Oct 2011, 05:45
What would you have done paxing just a few short years ago pre personnel IFE?

It seems travelers have forgotten those wonderful lightweight, invaluable carry on items - books.

Hartington
24th Oct 2011, 10:34
Surely these days PTV is passe. Everyone takes Kindle/iPad etc.

paulc
24th Oct 2011, 11:12
Hi,
seat guru shows 747-400 with personal TV others and shared tv so I guess it might depend on which individual aircraft you get on the day. Either way do not expect it to be on a par with VS or EK.

Rush2112
24th Oct 2011, 12:05
I recently took LH SIN-CGK, 747-400 and it had no IFE. It was fine for a short haul flight but we have become spoilt!

PAXboy
24th Oct 2011, 13:22
Seat back IFE is fine - until you discover that you've brought the wrong glasses, with the right ones in the hold!

Last long haul (12 hrs) I either had to lean forward to see it in focus, or sit back and listen to the blur. Fortunately, my iPod and magazines did the job!

Haven't a clue
24th Oct 2011, 15:52
I've given up on IFE. I have yet to find a system which does a movie justice. I'd rather wait until they are released on disc and watch them on my home cinema set up where the picture is clearer and the sound (damn great subwoofer) is fantastic. Oh, and occasionally go see a film in the cinema too.

iPod plus book(s) for me. Even on long haul daytime flights. And an opportunity to think.

ExXB
24th Oct 2011, 20:00
iPod plus book(s) for me. Even on long haul daytime flights. And an opportunity to think.

iPad and the Kindle App for me. Saves a tonne of weight too!

Rush2112
25th Oct 2011, 00:57
And an opportunity to think.

People seem to have largely given up on that - whenever I use public transport here, I am quite happy to sit and daydream without the need to stroke my i-whatever, jabber into my phone or play with a laptop. Maybe people cannot think these days. Sometimes I take a regional flight and I take a book and my iPod but cannot be bothered with them, I'd rather just sit and ruminate. I must be getting old...

PAXboy
25th Oct 2011, 02:34
Well, Rush2112, since I'm not getting old (Obviously!) I can say that as an ever younger man - I too like to ruminate whilst aloft. Watching the world roll by (unless long ocean crossing) is always fascinating and watching the clouds, other hairy planes flitting about, all is restful and condusive to thought and :zzz:

Rush2112
25th Oct 2011, 03:39
I think it's a modern trend PAXboy - or perhaps an Asian thing? - taking away the need to think. I was just out to another building here in Singapore for a meeting and the lift has CNBC Business News TV on it, so now you don't even have to think in the lift for 30 seconds, someone else is doing it for you!!

Skipness One Echo
25th Oct 2011, 09:03
I look out of the window a lot. I don't see too many deserts, mountains, valleys, icebergs, islands or similar in the office.

Tolsti
25th Oct 2011, 09:54
it appears that the FRA - HKG does have PTV.... fingers crossed for BKK as well

Lufthansa Boeing 747 - 400 New Interior with personal IFE - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LswbU9mfM1Y)

Espada III
25th Oct 2011, 11:25
On a Lufthansa 747-400 last night (TLV-FRA) and the seats are thinner and more comfortable and the seatback IFE is fine, but fairly generic.

I spent the whole four hours chatting with a lovely female German scientist in the next seat and the time just 'flew'.

aerolearner
25th Oct 2011, 18:56
About a month ago I had a trip FRA-RUH-FRA on LH 744.
The FRA-RUH leg was on D-ABVU: no personal IFE, just the overhead screens. There were rather large IFE boxes under some seats, restricting legroom (take note of that!).
The return flight RUH-FRA was on D-ABTK: personal IFE and no boxes under the seats. It was a night flight, so I must admit I enjoyed the empty row more than the personal IFE! :zzz:

BR,

aerolearner

Mark in CA
28th Oct 2011, 09:48
Too bad LH don't use their A380 on that route. even in economy, the IFE was very nice, lots to choose from, including three external cams.

JamesGBC
29th Oct 2011, 01:17
Shanghai to Frankfurt not sure which model 747 but No IFE no personal fresh air vent, Flight was booked same day so no discount fare. Seats were however recardo so very comfortable but boring 11 hour flight.

Enji
29th Oct 2011, 14:00
good to see that i've created somewhat of a discussion! :O

when I first booked the ticket, I was completely surprised since it was £575 from EDI to BKK. I would never have imagined to get a Lufthansa ticket for that kind of price and I actually thought it was a bit of a luxary airline going by the previous prices I've seen (at least double for the same route)!

very surprised that they are probably going to be using a banged up, old 744 for that route. From what I've read as well, it's normally pretty packed!

although I havn't flown yet, I feel like in a few months I should be posting the reply above by AdamFrisch.

Voodoo 3
30th Oct 2011, 14:45
Haven't a clue,

Emirates A380 business is the answer. Huge TV, superb picture and not just a great big headset but noise canceling to boot.

Oh yeah, and when the movie finishes, pop back to the bar for champagne and canapés!!

Haven't a clue
30th Oct 2011, 18:49
Voodoo 3 many thanks for that tip. Sadly my first flight ever with Emirates (early next year) is on a combination of B777 and A330 'cos it suits me to go from LGW. So it will be the iPod/book again, and, as both out and back are daytime flights, lots of time to ponder....

Espada III
30th Oct 2011, 19:52
Check on seatguru.com for the best seats. If there are no bulkhead ones available, go for the rows 54 and 55 seats A or K (I think), only two seats (not three) there is a nice gap between the seat and wall to stow your bag.

Voodoo 3
31st Oct 2011, 04:49
HAC, I don't know where your journey properly begins but if you're going from LGW, then LHR isn't a great deal further round the M25 if you want to go double decker to DXB.

As you say though, there was a time before IFE but appears that we have all become a bit spoilt with it now. Sadly, I think that now includes me......!

Mr Mac
31st Oct 2011, 13:24
Voodoo
Could not agree with you more about A380 (ICE and earphones), although bar can be intresting in unforseen turbulance (I think), therefore have not used that service much. Have noticed that you seem to get quicker service on 777 than 380 and have been told I am not the only one to comment on this as passenger crew ratio better for PAX on 777.

Will be on 380 next week along with Mrs Mac (for once) who is very much looking forward to trying out the bar and maybe even the shower God help me !!.:bored: