PDA

View Full Version : to dump or not to dump

turn right heading 365
19th Mar 2001, 20:58
which aircraft are able to dump fuel these days, and for those (airliners) which can't, what is the reason, is it environmental or just one less system to go wrong?

Lucifer
20th Mar 2001, 02:40
Most which cannot land without exceeding their max. landing weight can dump otherwise there is no point. Next spotter question?

Deep Stall
20th Mar 2001, 03:07
I don't think the A330-300 has the ability to dump fuel and its MTOW is above its MLW. The A330-200 however has demonstrated a landing at MLW. Hope it helps a bit, and don't mind Lucifer, this is the place for spotter questions!!!!

F/O Junior
20th Mar 2001, 04:50
We can't dump fuel on our A330-200's but Airbus would offer this feature.
The aircraft is certified for landings up to MTOW, autoland is certified up to MLW, but has been demonstrated in flight up to MTOW; met. conditions CAT I or better.

HPSOV
20th Mar 2001, 10:38
I dont know why some aircraft do have it and some dont.
On our 767 fleet we have some aircraft with MTOW of 185,065kg, and MLW of 145,150kg which dont have fuel dump capability. Some with an MTOW of 172,365kg that do have it, some have a MLW of 136,000kg and some of those do and dont.
And to top it all off there is a mix of high (1200lt/min) and low (600lt/min) capacity systems!
I think the fact of the matter is that it is fairly safe to land an aircraft at MTOW, even though its not entirely legal!

turn right heading 365
20th Mar 2001, 17:48
Thanks HPSOV, F/O Junior and Deep Stall. No offence taken Lucifer, I usually manage to steer clear of you flying club types full of p**** and wind and no substance. I realise that aircraft with an MTWA/MTOW the same as the landing weight do not need to have this facility, perhaps I should have made that clear. The others seemed to get the point though.

Flap 5
20th Mar 2001, 23:43
The main reason for dumping fuel is in the event of an emergency. However as both Boeing and Airbus say that you can land at max all up weight (not greater than 300 feet per minute rate of decsent) there is not much point in having fuel dump.

Furthermore we have all done engine failures at V1 at heavy weights, so the go around is no great problem either (not easy, but that is why we practice).