PDA

View Full Version : Aerial Baiting.....

Biggles266
23rd Oct 2011, 12:21
Hi guys and gals, I'm trying to find out about aerial baiting in Oz.
I've had a look around and can find plenty of info on the practice and rules of baiting but no employment info.
Appreciate it if anyone knows how or where one would find out about fixed wing pilot employment for these positions?

Many thanks in advance!

osmosis
23rd Oct 2011, 21:05
Wouldn't Air Ag operators be the first place to start?

Biggles266
23rd Oct 2011, 22:38
I did look into air ag ops but I don't have a tractor endo and it's rather expensive to do one.
I was told there are quite a few mobs who were doing it on 210's and 182's however this was 10 years ago I guess....

metalman2
24th Oct 2011, 00:01
A mate of mine is doing ag work up at griffith, he was doing aerial baiting a few months back ,,,,he was hoping ,with practice, to become a Master Baiter but I haven't heard if he got a grip on the technique. not sure of the outfit he was with but I doubt there's to many ag ops around the area
cheers:D

185skywagon
24th Oct 2011, 00:58
Biggles, pm me.

under the wire
24th Oct 2011, 01:27
After drawing the short straw last year to fly around in the cherokee 6 with a tub of raw meat soaked in 1080 it bewilders me that anybody in their right mind would want to do this by choice. Took me 3hrs and 10lts of disinfectant to get rid of the putrid smell.
Give me wires and trees anyday.:yuk:

osmosis
24th Oct 2011, 02:00
It CAN be as gruesome as dropping kangaroo heads out through the floor of a 180 but it can also be as simple as dropping carrots out the hopper without the previously mentioned unpleasantries.

Neville Nobody
24th Oct 2011, 03:23
he was hoping ,with practice, to become a Master Baiter but I haven't heard if he got a grip on the technique

Metalman, great quote :8

There are problems associated with becoming a Master Baiter, the shortness of vision can be overcome with corrective lenses. It's the constant shaving of palms that's the real hassel.

No doubt you have an AG rating Biggles? There's a blurring of requirement with the likes of survey work and baiting that some are doing without an AG rating. Flying heavily loaded aircraft low level should REQUIRE an AG rating.

185skywagon
24th Oct 2011, 03:47
Spot on Neville. The Dept keeps allowing some to operate under exemptions from 137. :-(

Xcel
24th Oct 2011, 11:08
Helimuster NT did it in the past if your after someone that far north!

Super Cecil
26th Oct 2011, 22:28
Just out of interest did Helimuster use AG rated pilots?

multime
27th Oct 2011, 03:29
Legally dropping of articles falls under AG catergory and yes Helimuster did and still do aerial baiting mainly in house for Heytesbury Pastoral company in a C206. Majority of baiting used in WA contracted to a C210 operator (Bob Rolands) out of Esperance. However Tropicair in Carnarvon had the bulk of the work many years ago, not sure who has the northern contract these days. I,m sure C185 has the eastern knowledge and great reputation. Two rounds of baiting from kalgoorlie to broome, under the WA ag department. Be prepared to live in a swag for 6 months a year, wake up with snake tracks all around you untill i requested a camp bed, smell like the perviable as you will go weeks without a shower. Most pastorilists won,t let you anywhere near the homestead if they have pets or working dogs. Yes it is gruesome, horse or donkey meat being the most maggott effected green slime i have ever dry reached over.
Charactor building.:E

PA39
28th Oct 2011, 06:08
We used to do it for the NPWS in NSW in F/Wing. Try them, however i think it was a matter of who we knew! :hmm:

tinpis
28th Oct 2011, 06:42
In the 60's did a bit of poisoning for deer in the Radiata forests near Rottenrua
Involved a non baited carrot drop then a week later same with a dose of 1080

FJ44
28th Oct 2011, 08:34
Super Cecil Just out of interest did Helimuster use AG rated pilots?

Not when I was there.
Unless the few valuable hours you spent trying to teach me enough not to kill myself count!?

Pilotette
30th Oct 2011, 09:54
Definitely character building...maggot blown Roo meat isn't for the weak stomached but once you've got your own system going it's not that bad. Best $6 I ever spent was on a tub of Vicks vapor rub. :ok:

halas
30th Oct 2011, 11:06
20 years ago at VRD we had a 206 with a special rear door, the whole interior lined with black plastic with two half 44's full of horse and donkey injected with 1080. Each station owner would come along to point out the dams to be done and some poor rousabout would sit down the back in 40 degree heat chucking it out, and spewing every so often!

Those were the days!

halas