PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Jettison 744 With FLAPS DRIVE EICAS

skippy777
23rd Oct 2011, 03:58
Can you Jettison Fuel if you have a FLAPS DRIVE EICAS, with leading edge or trailing edge Flaps "failed" between 1 and 5?

Most manuals state that you can't if in transit, as the airflow changes significantly due to Leading edge group 1 retracting (or extending) and therefore running the risk of fuel contacting the trailing edge of the wing.

What if they are just stuck and not in transit?

Any thoughts, experiences?

By George
23rd Oct 2011, 06:21
I would say yes, or Boeing would have a note in the QRH. "Flaps Drive"on a heavy T/Off, thats a long wait to get back to 285,000kg for a return. If not and something else nasty was happening, land overweight, but again knowing how Boeing designs checklists, if it was a problem they would tell you. Interesting question though. Due to time contraints all my Sim departures have been not above 285 ton, any dumping uses up too much time. They love to fail the outboards leaving that nice pitch up tendency.

Willit Run
23rd Oct 2011, 13:27
I think I would disagree with George, in that the intent of the limitation is to not dump fuel with the flaps between 1 and 5; whether or not they were jammed or in transit. However, seeing as how you would have probably declared an emergency, you can do pretty much whatever you like, though, you will have to explain your actions.

I think this is a sim instructor scenario. Not sure if Boeing thought it was ever likely to happen;ergo, not worthy of a special procedure.
Just my sunday morning opine.