PDA

View Full Version : ADF fixed card - Troubles...

Enzo_flt
22nd Oct 2011, 14:12
Hey guys,

after the atpl, i went to Montpellier (south of France) to do my cpl & ir-me.

i started few weeks ago with the ir and now i'm flying on a single engine to do all the base of the ir (vor, adf, holding, vor app, ils app and so on) and then i'll switch to the multi.

i didnt have any trouble on sim (fnpt2) with the adf because it was with a movable card but on the single engine aircraft, we've an adf with a fixed card and no briefing on it...:bored:

i understood that to find your qdm (well, france habits...), you have to add your mag hdg + relative bearing.
so if i'm on hdg 270 and the adf shows (with the north up) 330 it means that: 360-330=30°, 270-30=240, i'm on qdm 240.
so far, i think it's right, huh ?

but in flight, my cfi asks me for e.g...we're on qdm 210, bring me to the qdm 260...
so as i learned, qdm are increasing, so i'll turn to the left, 30° left on my actual hdg so 210-30=180°, so i'll fly on 180.
The question is: what bearing should I have on my ADF fixed card to know when i'll be on the qdm 260 ? :zzz::ugh:
i'd like just the method because my cfi is confusing me when he explained me :O

the same about the QDR. :ugh:

you are on QDR 310 and you wanna go to the QDR 280.
QDR 310 => 280 : The QDR are decreasing, i leave the station on my left so i'll turn on my left now (because it is QDR), 30° of my final wanted QDR, so 280. 280 - 30 = 250°
i'll then turn to the 250° on my di in order to intercept.
but after that, I'm lost to know what bearing should i have when i'll be on my QDR 280.

one more thing, do you use that ( adf - hebergeur d'image - Casimages.com - (http://www.casimages.com/img.php?i=111022051438906932.jpg) ) to add or substract what is written on the adf to your mag hdg ? or you always add (according to the formula)

thank you guys for ur help if you can make it clear for me :)

enzo

Enzo_flt
22nd Oct 2011, 14:50
thanks for your help.

i did that to find qdm and i understood that, to mentally transfere the needle on to the di but the thing that i can't understand, is to know, what bearing should i have to find my final qdm (like on the example that i've written) (from 210 to 260), can't catch that.
maybe there is a method, a trick or something else to help me ?

thanks!
enzo

Lightning Mate
22nd Oct 2011, 15:06
i'd like just the method because my cfi is confusing me when he explained me

Then go somewhere else! The job of ANY flying instructor is to explain - not confuse!

Retired QFI & IRE.

Enzo_flt
22nd Oct 2011, 15:09
i'd like to...but spent already money. i think the job of a cfi is to explain you and if you don't understand, try to explain you in other ways...well.

if somebody can help me...i'll appreciate it.

Lightning Mate
22nd Oct 2011, 15:21
If anyone here is telling you how to obtain a QDR from an NDB the ignore them.

As an ATPL radio navigation senior tutor I can assure you it is not possible. Ask your CFI to explain that!!!

I'll now sign off and watch the rest of the garbage "expert" advice come flooding in.....................

Goodbye.

Enzo_flt
22nd Oct 2011, 15:47
Thanks da-20, i'll try to working it out like you explain me.
lightning mate, thanks for your answer but you know, it is good to post, but as you are an atpl rad nav senior tutor, with all my respect to you, instead of to complain, you could help me (and other people who don't undertand that), it would be useful, otherwise, it's useless.

Thanks da-20 once more!!! :ok:

Lightning Mate
22nd Oct 2011, 16:31
Enzo...

PM for you.

slav4o1
23rd Oct 2011, 17:08
I suppose you are doing an IR-ME? If so I assume when starting on a single for IR is just to get the basic scan going and some tracking - the real exam you will do in the twin where you have HSI/slaved ADF (just like in the FNPT2). So in this case do not worry too much when flying the single.
Anyway I was taught a very simple method of QDM/QDR tracking. When tracking QDM (or going to the beacon) if the needle is right of your QDM turn right to get it back, if it is left of the intented QDM turn left to get it back. When tracking away from beacon (QDR) it is the opposite, you monitor the tail , and if it is right of the intented QDR turn left and vice versa. I hope this helped

Enzo_flt
23rd Oct 2011, 18:16
Hi,

Thank you for answer.
you are right, i'm doing the basic and some tracking on the single and then, i'll switch to the multi but they want you to be perfect on the adf fixed card (on the single) because on the multi, it is like the fnpt 2, movable card.
so, for the qdr, if let's say, i'm on hdg 250 and the tail needle is 050°, then i've to turn left to 200 and i'll be on qdr 200, that's right ?
thanks for the trick you gave me, i'm sure it will help me ! thanks once more !!

Rat Catcher
24th Oct 2011, 08:20
A very experienced pilot who was giving me instruction towards my IR using a fixed card ADF gave me a piece of invaluable wisdom...
If all else fails, look at it from gods point of view...
Look at the situation from above, draw a picture if necessary, where you are, where the beacon is and where you want to go...
Bon chance!:ok:

Enzo_flt
24th Oct 2011, 11:37
Hi,

thanks so much for your help and information.
i'm gonna try that if i still have problem on that.

thanks !!!