PDA

View Full Version : FOUR Spitfire programs today!

PPRuNe Pop
22nd Oct 2011, 12:05
The First of the Few. How it was born 13:50 on BBC 2 (sorry for late input).

Spitfire Women. The brave ladies who delivered them. 18:45 BBC2

The Spitfire: Britain's flying past. John's Sergeant's joy of them. 20:45 BBC2.

First Light. Drama documentary of Geoffrey Wellum's book about his time as a Battle of Britain fighter pilot. 20:30 BBC 2.

PPP

Lightning Mate
22nd Oct 2011, 14:49
The First of the Few

Just watched it. No mention of Mutt Summers though - the first one to fly it.

JEM60
22nd Oct 2011, 16:01
Miss 'Spitfire Women' only if you are doing something extremely important. Record it. It is a remarkable, wonderful programme.

treadigraph
22nd Oct 2011, 21:56
And I've just got home from a day's boozing and missed the bloody lot - hope Iplayer comes up to scratch tomorrow at least for the first two which I haven't seen.

aviate1138
23rd Oct 2011, 04:51
First of the Few is available on YouTube - the whole movie! iPlayer is greyed out

The First Of The Few (1942) - YouTube

Seen it so many times but watching again right now - 05:50 UK :)

Flying Lawyer
23rd Oct 2011, 14:09
'Spitfire Women' is an outstanding documentary. A fitting tribute to some truly remarkable women.
It's available on iPlayer at the moment: BBC iPlayer - Spitfire Women (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tw1m1/Spitfire_Women/)

The only comment in the entire programme that jarred was when the young historian, describing Diana Barnato-Walker as posh, added "posh as in Becks". :rolleyes:
The only thing posh about Mrs Beckham is her former stage-name and the only thing she has in common with DB-W (or any other women of the ATA) is being female.

I watched 'The Spitfire: Britain's flying past' when it was first broadcast a few weeks ago.
Interesting programme, but I thought it was extraordinary that they should make a documentary centred on MH434 without mentioning Ray Hanna.
He operated MH434 for far longer than it was in military service - and his displays made it the famous aircraft it now is.
Very odd.

SincoTC
23rd Oct 2011, 15:36
Agree with flying Lawyer's comments about the use of "Posh" and the comparison of DB-W with Posh Becks :D!

Equally mystified about the omission of Ray Hanna in the story of MH434 :\ !!

Just watched it. No mention of Mutt Summers though - the first one to fly it.

Agree with that too! Also, although mention was made of the loss of Samuel Kinkead, I don't think that there was any mention or credit given to Sidney Webster, Richard Waghorn and John Boothman, who actually won the three events and so the Schneider Trophy outright!!

I forgot to say that they are all well worth watching :ok:

beamender99
23rd Oct 2011, 19:44
And I've just got home from a day's boozing and missed the bloody lot - hope Iplayer comes up to scratch tomorrow at least for the first two which I haven't seen. The good news is that Spitfire Women is on YouTube.
It is split into 6 parts each of 10 minutes.

Spitfire Women - Part 1 - YouTube
Spitfire Women - Part 2 - YouTube
Spitfire Women - Part 3 - YouTube
Spitfire Women - Part 4 - YouTube
Spitfire Women - Part 5 - YouTube
Spitfire Women - Part 6 - YouTube

And a bonus programme
Spitfire Documentary BBC - YouTube

Krystal n chips
24th Oct 2011, 04:40
The programme is worth watching irrespective of how many times it is repeated..which is a testimony to the content overall and the very charasmatic women involved.

I did like the lady who, after being ordered to apologise, commented " after the war, I will knock your teeth out "...no doubt uttered with some intent as they say...:)

I have a question however which others may be able to answer.

Given the variety of types they ferried, was the Sunderland amongst them ?

I ask because (a) ferrying a multi-engine type solo is complicated enough and (b) having recently seen the example at Hendon for the first time, and become fascinated by the type, the prospect of ferrying one solo must have taken a considerable amount of skill and airmanship.

DHfan
25th Oct 2011, 17:37
I've read some books about the ATA, mostly by past members. Unfortunately I haven't read any recently so my memory's a bit rusty.

IRRC, all aircraft were divided into 7 groups or classes, ranging from trainers and light single-engined aircraft in class 1, up to class 7 which was flying boats. Once qualified in a particular class, they were expected to fly any aircraft in that class with no further training. Very few pilots qualified for flying boats and I don't think any women did. I think flying boats were mentioned in Diana Barnarto-Walker's book but I can't remember the details now. I also think they had a flight engineer but I'm not certain.

aviate1138
26th Oct 2011, 05:25
I was told by Anne Welch that Joan Hughes had only had a problem with the Sunderland because the out of trim forces were just too much for her [she was so tiny that she could fly the Demoiselle in "Magnificent Men..." All the men were too heavy!]

That famous picture of an ATA pilot by the main wheel of a Stirling is Joan Hughes.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k548/k4kittycrew/stirling99.jpg

STIRLING AIRCRAFT SOCIETY • View topic - ATA Pilot Joan Hughes (http://sas.raf38group.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=364)

Krystal n chips
27th Oct 2011, 05:26
My thanks for both replies...:ok:

I would support the perception that a flight engineer would have been essential for the Sunderland given the complexity of the cockpit.

As an aside, I have a lovely note from Anne Welch, pointing out.... in no uncertain terms.... that "we are flying gliders, not BAC 1-11's ! ".....this in respect of the barograph calibration I submitted for my Silver "C" many years ago...the calibration coming via a somewhat non standard source at Filton...:D