PDA

View Full Version : FOUR Spitfire programs today!

PPRuNe Pop
22nd Oct 2011, 12:05
The First of the Few. How it was born 13:50 on BBC 2 (sorry for late input).

Spitfire Women. The brave ladies who delivered them. 18:45 BBC2

The Spitfire: Britain's flying past. John's Sergeant's joy of them. 20:45 BBC2.

First Light. Drama documentary of Geoffrey Wellum's book about his time as a Battle of Britain fighter pilot. 20:30 BBC 2.

PPP

xenolith
22nd Oct 2011, 12:08
Tissues please!

A2QFI
22nd Oct 2011, 12:23
With great respect to our learned mod, there is a typo! First Light is BBC2 from 2230 to 2350.

Willard Whyte
22nd Oct 2011, 12:27
The Spit also features heavily in James May's Toy Stories at 17:25 on BBC2.

Dad's Army are also collecting for the Spitfire Fund in 'The Godiva Affair' at 20:15, again on 2

BEagle
22nd Oct 2011, 12:52
Thanks, PP - the DVR is busily recording The First of the Few as I type!

NutLoose
22nd Oct 2011, 16:35
And don't forget Sunday too

BBC - BBC Two Programmes - Operation Jericho (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b016n2zz)

Actor and aviator Martin Shaw takes to the skies to rediscover one of the most audacious and daring raids of World War Two.
On the morning of 18 February 1944, a squadron of RAF Mosquito bombers, flying as low as three metres over occupied France, demolished the walls of Amiens Jail in what became known as Operation Jericho

Along with the films "We dive at dawn" and "In which we serve" there is a documentary about the first sub against sub battle

17:55–18:45

Timewatch
2006-2007, The Hunt for U-864 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00794pp)
Drama documentary of the only recorded case of two submarines duelling underwater. (R)

BBC - BBC Two Programmes - Timewatch, 2006-2007, The Hunt for U-864 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00794pp)

jamesdevice
22nd Oct 2011, 17:43
A couple of years ago I made a total tit of myself with a "Spitfire Woman"

I was asked to fix a computer at the home of a 90 year old little old lady. Somehow the conversation drifted to the subject of cars, and I made the comment that the MG ZT she had parked outside seemed a handful for someone of her age.
"Shows how much you know" she replied. "I used to race F1 cars (in the UK) with Jim Clark and Sterling Moss, AND rally with Pat Moss. AND I flew Lancasters and Spitfires during the war....."
At this point I apologised profusely and tried to dig myself out of the hole in the floor.
As far as I'm aware she's still alive - at least she still has a listing in the phone book

Kengineer-130
22nd Oct 2011, 18:52
I had the pleasure of meeting some of these amazing ladies at Lyneham a few years ago, they were invited to the occifers mess to give an afternoon talk. Amazing think they were just thrown into different types of aircraft with a "notebook" giving them the figures to fly to with no other training! :eek:..

Lima Juliet
22nd Oct 2011, 20:16
I had a delightful afternoon with Diana Barnato Walker, one of the ATA girls, at an airshow in the aircrew tent between 2000-2003 (can't remember which one). She was an amazing woman who sadly died in 2008.

She was kind enough to send me a signed copy of her book after our encounter called "Spreading My Wings" - a reccomended read.

http://www.transair.co.uk/products/images/large/bk_SpreadingMyWings.jpg

LJ:ok:

Tankertrashnav
22nd Oct 2011, 20:35
If I hear John Sergeant referring to a Focke-Wulf 190 as a Fokker again I fear for my TV set! Grrr - couldnt somebody have sorted his script out for him? And a Spitfire is not a "plane" - double grrrr!

Still, while Sergeant talks b***cks, it's good to hear Geoffrey Wellum and the others talking sense :ok:

A2QFI
22nd Oct 2011, 20:46
I am watching today's programmes. The ATA ladies were a feisty collection of pilots. One of them had 75 aircraft types in her logbook. Respect!

alisoncc
22nd Oct 2011, 21:42
Have "Spitfire Women" on a DVD - self burnt, and have watched it a few times. Just think of the courage it needed to fly an unarmed Spitfire along the English South coast during WWII, at least the guys could shoot back if they were intercepted. These ladies had no chance. Unbelievable bravery. Each one deserved the highest commendations.

Green Flash
22nd Oct 2011, 23:05
Well, that's the first time I've seen First Light.

Utterly brilliant.

Willard Whyte
22nd Oct 2011, 23:28
I had a delightful afternoon with Diana Barnato Walker, one of the ATA girls, at an airshow in the aircrew tent between 2000-2003 (can't remember which one). She was an amazing woman who sadly died in 2008.

Ah, daughter of Woolf, 3 time consecutive winner of Le Mans in various Bentleys from '28 to '30.

jindabyne
23rd Oct 2011, 11:50
Tanker

We'll be damned as old-duffers dear chap. An excellent tribute to the aircraft, except for that girl's blouse Sergeant!!

PPRuNe Pop
24th Oct 2011, 07:33
A2QFI.

So sorry. Too much haste to get it on board. I hope no-one missed it as a result. :O But........BBC iPlayer will have on I am sure.

PPP

PhamousPhotographer
24th Oct 2011, 14:37
Another WW2 location for Henry Lardner-Burke's Mk IX. St Angelo, Enniskillen, 25th May 1991 and the Battle Of The Atlantic airshow, attended by the late Mark Hanna's OFMC collection. Mark's 15 minute display looked deceptively simple – a 50ft pass along 15/33, with a steep climb out, half-roll off the top of the loop and dive back to 50ft – but was incredibly evocative, with the note of the Merlin echoing off the Fermanagh hills. An indelible memory. Has anyone a video of that day?

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx299/PhamousPhotographer/Image0125-05-1991PhamousPhotog.jpg

The shot looks east along the original main runway, with the now-demolished WW2 tower beside the Enniskillen to Irvinestown road and the comms mast of Angelo FOB just visible on the left of the frame. Rwy 33 threshold is beyond the Spitfire.

Good to see Rodney Scrase representing 72 Squadron on Flt Sergeant Sergeant's show as well.