PDA

View Full Version : GBA whoopsy

mattyj
22nd Oct 2011, 08:18
anyone know anything about this? Nosewheel collapse..before the fence?

Plane crashes in Waikato, 15 people on board | NATIONAL News (http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/plane-crashes-in-waikato-4480377)

codenamejames
22nd Oct 2011, 11:42
Doesn't look like it was one of the white 'fences' at either end, more like a slew into the Southern side of the AD.

It would have to be a decent rabbit hole to collapse a trilander nosewheel...

Look forward to hearing more

NoseGear
22nd Oct 2011, 18:32
Article in the Herald today.....

Mayhem as plane crashes - National - NZ Herald News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10761107)

REALLY love the bit about how the engines roared in reverse!!!:E:} I've got around a thousand hours in Islanders and for the life of me I never found the "reversers":p;) Maybe its a mod on the Tri beast version.....:E:E

Either way, glad no one was hurt. Perhaps it was a centre engine failure, the only indication is the little red light on the dash, which might be hard to notice in the latter stages of the take off.

Nosey

NZFlyingKiwi
22nd Oct 2011, 21:58
Not intending to downplay the situation but you've got to love how the media can make something like this sound like the air disaster of the century - if in doubt insert screaming passengers, aircraft plunging into things and pilots fighting with the controls etc. etc. :ugh:

aroa
23rd Oct 2011, 05:36
Thats a really good photo of the sort of aircraft "crash" I would like to be involved in. Still on the ground, nosewheel bent, NO injuries or fatalities.

Trouble with the media, 'chicken little' writers, panicky 'sky is falling' drama is supposed to sell papers ... but does nothing for the industry...or in a lot of cases the truth either.

Bunch of :mad:

nitpicker330
23rd Oct 2011, 06:41
"Engines roared in reverse"

Mmmmmmmm

hard_yakka
23rd Oct 2011, 07:17
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss329/kotukunui/IMG_0242-1.jpg

Just a quick update. The Trislander aircraft was flown out of Pauanui today. Damage must have been very minor...

mattyj
23rd Oct 2011, 10:56
Well! Nosewheel looks fine in that pic...?!

tail wheel
23rd Oct 2011, 11:41
Pity they moved it. Looks nice in that garden. Even the props are "symetrical".

A fitting tribute to John Britten and Des Norman's revenge on the Empire!

:} :}

scroogee
23rd Oct 2011, 20:35
Apparently those posts are only set into the sand- no concrete, so gave way easily. Notice at least one shrub won't need trimming this season...

From the 'granny herald' I think the screaming was from people on the ground, in the park just 'metres' (how many? 5? 5000?) in front of the aircraft (but it was still included in the headline because someone used the word screaming)

flytheline
23rd Oct 2011, 21:30
Yet another GBA accident.

When will CAA ground these clowns for good? Rae must have many friends in high places.

Young, inexperienced pilots flying for an outfit with a long history of poor practice. A flawed culture.

Trilander trying to T/O from 782m with heaps of fuel, 10 big guys, bags and 2 inexperienced pilots. 150m from the end tries to rotate, gives up, closes throttles and crashes. Pilot stupidity as a result of poor company culture. How long before they kill some pax?

2001 Double Engine Failure - Crash
2009 Throw a prop into the cabin - undetected corrosion
2009 Cherokee Six. T/O on one mag, early flap retraction, overweight - Crash
2011 Trilander - Overweight - Crash

framer
23rd Oct 2011, 23:18
Jeez thats a big call at this stage....got some inside information?
I would have thought 728 meters would be plenty for something that looks like that. Anyone who has flown them out of that strip know if you can get out of there max weight and no wind?

Aerozepplin
24th Oct 2011, 04:45
2009 Cherokee Six. T/O on one mag

Do you have a reference in the accident report regarding this? If you were aware of this fact did you contact the TAIC to provide the information?

Are you going to contact TAIC to inform them of you opinion or knowledge of this fact?

Young, inexperienced pilots flying for an outfit with a long history of poor practice. A flawed culture.

Are you going to contact either the CAA or the ministry to detail the nature of you concerns regarding this operator?

Unless you've put your troll hat on those are some pretty serious allegations. But hey, spreading some rumours on a forum will certainly help make aviation in this country safer right?
:mad:

Sqwark2000
24th Oct 2011, 08:25
There was only 1 company pilot on board, and they are experienced enough to have been recruited out of general aviation....

BR T winglets
24th Oct 2011, 10:56
wiki - Trislander - Capable of taking off from a 450 metre long landing strip, the Trislander can readily operate from unprepared surfaces.

Where do you sign up to become an experienced pilot? I would like to know it must be some magical process that doesn’t ever involve GA flying.

If the herald reports so accurately on aviation occurrences which they regularly do, what worth is it to read any other article they produce may as well read some tabloid women’s magazine, because it seems they will write anything to sell papers no matter how farfetched it is.

Trilander trying to T/O from 782m with heaps of fuel, 10 big guys, bags and 2 inexperienced pilots. 150m from the end tries to rotate, gives up, closes throttles and crashes. Pilot stupidity as a result of poor company culture.

- A very stupid pilot opting to abort the takeoff...
- Heaps must be a standard unit of measurement I am not familiar with.
- When did you dip the tanks and get your measuring stick out to find the point where the a/c started to brake?

well, You sound like you have all the facts and talked to all the right people, you must have been involved with a very thorough investigation into this incident.
Must be all true.:D

baron_beeza
25th Oct 2011, 17:53
Some pretty big calls in the discussion alright.

I actually wonder if some of these guys have actually flown a Trislander.. I mean if you can't even spell the aircraft name.

I have been involved with many around the world over the years, I always thought they were a very capable machine.

From what I saw of the pics I am not sure it is performance related... hardly hot and high like Lake Kariba for example.
Not hot like Vanuata or Kiribati. Possibly not even big pax like the slf from those areas.
As for the number of pax, I have seen the Trislanders in the Channel Islands operating with 18pob.

I forget the length of the strip at Koromiko but I have a suspicion that 780 metres would be considered a luxury by the Skyferry pilots.

The Herald reporter made a complete botch of his statements on it all. I do not intend to follow suit.

Having said that I think I see the incident for what it is. Aborted takeoffs and go-arounds are always going to involve a risk.

In the scheme of it all this may not have been a bad result. All safe with minimal damage to the machine.

I am sure we can leave the hysterics, mayhem, screaming, plunging, and other similar antics to those that seem to have no hesitation, or morals, in telling the world their version.

I personally have more issues with the standard of reporting than the incident itself.