PDA

View Full Version : I'm stuck...

Little Fly Girl
5th Nov 2001, 20:57
....with what my looming PPL RT tests (both practical and theory) will consist of!

I have been studying from the CAA RT Manual, but have noticed that this book contains an awful lot of procedures that I have never and don't think I will use as a PPL holder, eg IFR RT to/from major airports. Will I be tested on this kind of thing? I want to make sure I am fully prepared, don't want any nasty suprises! :eek:

All I have to go by so far is a basic checklist of 'Key Things To Learn' from my flying club, but it doesn't cover half of the subjects mentioned in mt RT book... I haven't got an RT Tape either, am I missing out much by not owning one?

Please help, any advice would be fab.... I'm desperate!!!

Many thanks in advance,

LFG :)

pugzi
5th Nov 2001, 21:16
To the rescue.......
Ok, you can now buy an interactive RT tutor with audio and graphics etc etc and a recording function, that covers VFR RT procedures even upto ATPL level.
There is a snag. You also have to buy the UK supplimental version because RT procedures here are different than ICAO. It wont take more than an hour or so to go through it, and its about 40 to 50 pounds i think. In the end you'll have to buy both, the ICAO full training version and the UK supliment.
Oxford, Pooleys etc etc sell them. Also just released is the IFR RT interactive CD ROM by the way. Honestly, it is good, i have a demo version, but then again it costs money.
Good luck.

Little Fly Girl
5th Nov 2001, 21:26
Many thanks Pugzi, but my test is friday!! (theory on wednesday...)

Do you have any idea about the layout, content, duration.... (anything) about the theory test? I am really not sure what to expect, and its probably a good idea if I do!! :p

Ta. ;)

pugzi
5th Nov 2001, 21:40
OOOOps.
You're in the poo. I cant help to be honest, I havent a clue. The JAA CPL ATPL RT exams yes, but not PPL, sorry.
Either that or go to Pooleys or Oxford tomorrow, buy the CDROMS and stay up all night listening and absorbing, it will get you through it, honest, but your short of time.
Just scratching around the office and found the JAA FCL 1 which means thats i have infront of me what you need to know, but i have no idea how they will test you on it.
Private messgae me, asap.

pipergirl
5th Nov 2001, 23:00
hi there
have sent yo some bits n bobs to ur email address...hopefully they will be of some help

:p

QNH 1013
5th Nov 2001, 23:25
Hi LFG,
CAP 413 covers everything you need and some more as well. You should be able to guess which bits you won't need e.g. you won't be asking for start and pushback with a training aircraft. You will, however, be expected to know the proceedures at an airfield with full ATC, i.e using callsigns GROUND, TOWER, APPROACH, (RADAR), (DIRECTOR). You will also need to know the difference between full ATC, AFIS (callsign ....INFORMATION), and AIR/GROUND (callsign ....RADIO).
You also need to know what has to be read back in full, a full list is in CAP413. The way in which numbers are pronounced when they are 3 or 4 digits should also be familiar, e.g. tree tousand fife hundred feet, not tree fife zero zero feet.
For the practical test you will have to ask for a MATZ penetration, and either give a Mayday call or relay a Mayday call. One of the things the examiner looks for during the practical test is that you don't press the press-to-talk button if you hear another aircraft give a Mayday call even if you have just been asked for a report. On hearing a Mayday, all other stations cease transmitting until advised by the controlling station. The exception is if the ground station obviously hasn't heard the Mayday (perhaps weak) in which case you relay the message.
I have done this for real and its much harder than you think. Write down everything important you hear before trying to relay it or you will make mistakes.
If you are nervous, why not ask the examiner if you can do a mock practical test first.

Good Luck.

Lucifer
6th Nov 2001, 01:07
Bit of a warning: when relaying a mayday, don't say what you thought was said if you missed a bit: if you missed a bit, only say what you heard and admit not all was heard (or ask mayday a/c to repeat)

str12
6th Nov 2001, 03:14
Hi LFG

Don't sweat the RT test, its not too bad at all.

It consists of a hypothetical flight from A to B via C and maybe D including a MAYDAY, PAN or relayed MAYDAY.

You will be expected to know proper RT procedure but the CAP publication covers all of it.

A good way to remember the info you will need to know is remember CPTLE

C - callsign and type (from XXX to YYY)
P - position
T - current time
L - level/altitude and QNH/QFE
E - estimated time (for arrival/next waypoint etc)

A shortened version may be requested if you are asked for a postition report.

Expect to do a MATZ penetration.

And remember to read back the correct information i.e. runway, taxi instructions, climb to flight level then turn...etc.

Top tip: Get a chart, plan a route and practise the RT you would need to use including the MAYDAY, MATZ penetration etc.

The dummy route will probaly include a change of altitude e.g. climb to 2500 ft after blah blah.

You may also need to cross and airway so know the request and Special VFR rules.

Also, remember that you may need to divert due to weather / mechanical problem so plan on calling an alternative airfiled and use their ATIS etc.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Str12

pugzi
6th Nov 2001, 12:49
Back again.
Ok Here goes. JAR-FCL Communication Objectives.
Use of AIP
microphone technique
phonetic alphabet
callsigns
transmission technique
DEPARTURE PROCEDURES
radio checks
taxi instructions
holding on the ground
departure checks
EN-ROUTE PROCEDURES
frequency selection
position, altitude reporting
flight info service
weather info
weather reporting
procedures to obtain bearing, heading and positions
procedural phraseology
height/range coverage
ARRIVAL AND TRAFFIC PATTERN PROCEDURES
arrival clearance
calls and ATC instructions during:
1. circuit
2. approach and landing
3. vacating runway
COMMUNICATION FAILURE
action to be taken:
1. alternate frequency
2. servicability check
inflight procedures according to type of airspace
DISTRESS AND URGENCY PROCUDURES
distress (MAYDAY), definition and when to use.
frequencies to use
contents of MAYDAY
urgency (PAN) definition and when to use
frequencies to use
relay of messages
maintainance of silence
calcellation of dirtress/urgency

Right then, thats the lot, good luck!!
I would suggest the distress parts are the most important.

Goodluck

;) ;)

Little Fly Girl
6th Nov 2001, 13:39
Thank You all soooo much!! You're all *superstars* and deserve a huge pat on the back, have some chocolate biscuits with your coffee.... You deserve it! :D

I'll let you know how I get on...

LFG

Quidditch Captain
6th Nov 2001, 14:10
I'm sure you'll be fine as the tests aren't too bad at all.

However..... I think you should give your instructor(s) a good kicking (metaphorically) for the obvious lack of help they have given you to prepare for this!

Rob 747
6th Nov 2001, 15:15
LFG

Where you doing it??
If you have the same RT examiner as me then im sure you will NOT fail!! :D

DONT PANIC!!!
Easy for me to say now

Its not hard as long as you read the CAP413.
I first had a written theory test.There was no pass or fail.Just as long as the examiner thinks you've done well enough.

The verbal was worse,but only coz i panic'd (spelling??). You will be given a piece of paper to study.It will have on it a very basic route egA-B-C MAYDAY or PANPAN.You will be expected to do the radio work for this route.
Then...........
You go in one room,the examiner goes into one next to you.Both rooms are connected by an intercom. You wear your headset he wears his.
Your intercom will have numbered buttons.You will have to press a button for each controller ie 'Contact tower on 119.4' You read it back then you press the next button on your intercom which will simulate you changing from one to the other understand???

Whenever you get stuck or your mind goes blank always use the word'standby'.
Standbye is your get out of jail card! :D :D When you say standby your examiner will know you understand how to correct a hesitation. Always try and keep pace with your examiner, he will not read the route too quckly as he knows you will nervous!
Thats it Just go through the route and youll be fine! Trust me i am a nobody! :D :D

Am i still on probation??

Little Fly Girl
6th Nov 2001, 15:51
I don't know about a metaphorical kicking CTM, my instructor's going to get the real thing tomorrow!! :p

I think you have well and truely excelled above 'Probationer' standards Rob747! Thanks for the standby tip.... could be very useful!!

Anyway, I'm sure it'll go okay as you say...

Cheers.

[ 06 November 2001: Message edited by: Little Fly Girl ]

topunicyclist
6th Nov 2001, 16:47
someone said above that you could plot a route on a chart and go through all the stages of the flight (taxi, take off, en route, possible diversion, possible mayday/mayday relay). Remember to keep quiet if a mayday is in progress (I did fortunately!).

Remember the examiner is not there to catch you out or even to make sure you know everythng down to a T. A few small minor mistakes are allowable I think, just make sure you know the items requiring read back (qfe, qnh, take off & landing clearances, circuit joining instructions etc). Also appropriate use of "WILCO" (will comply) and "ROGER" last transmission received) would be a bonus. E.g. TWR:"G-OP report right base". G-OP:"Wilco, G-OP".

FlyingForFun
6th Nov 2001, 17:24
Hi!

Loads of good advice about the practical, but really, don't worry. My examiner went through almost the entire test with me first, telling me what he wanted at each stage - it would be very difficult not to pass!

As for the written, it's really not difficult. Something that might help, though, is if you know anyone with an old copy of the Confuser. For some reason, the R/T stuff isn't in the latest version of the Confuser, but I managed to borrow an old version from someone, and it confirmed that I knew everything I needed to know before I went into the test.

Good luck!

FFF
---------

Rob 747
6th Nov 2001, 17:38
LFG

Aswell as Wilco,........Affirm is another good one instead of a plain old 'yes'!

Also if you say something wrong, just say 'correction' and say what you were supposed to say.Yet another 'get of jail' card! :p

We all make mistakes!

Probationer? Quite the opposite im afraid. Im the bad one here! :rolleyes: For all my sins I am no longer just another number!! :cool:

I have however repented of my sins to the chief dispatcher, and when he feels fit, i will be allowed off probation hopefully! :p :confused:

Edited for terrible spelling.

[ 06 November 2001: Message edited by: Rob 747 ]