PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow - New Helicopter Crossing Procedures

Gonzo
21st Oct 2011, 17:20
Ladies and Gents,

As the title suggests, we are soon to publish a new helicopter crossing procedure for Heathrow.

We are trying to catch our regular military customers to ensure they have some exposure, and a Q&A session on them, rather than being faced with a new AIP chart on the day.

At the moment we're thinking:
Middle Wallop
Shawbury
Benson
Odiham

Are we missing anybody? Is there anyone/anywhere else in the military community that would gain from such a briefing?

Thanks for your time

Gonzo
Heathrow ATC Ops.

high spirits
21st Oct 2011, 17:33
All of the SAR bases especially wattisham. Plus yeovilton and culdrose.

Blue Bottle
21st Oct 2011, 17:46
Northolt !

Gonzo
21st Oct 2011, 18:23
We were planning to hit the SAR units by email/electronic copies of the brief, rather than in person. If they're CAT A/B traffic etc then the waves would part and they'd get straight across, so Heathrow transits would be rare. We were aiming for our regulars really.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Navy helicopter cross the field.

In saying that, if anyone has contacts in applicable Squadron Ops etc and is happy to PM me, I'd appreciate it.

high spirits
21st Oct 2011, 19:36
Are any of the helilanes changing, or just H'row? What are the changes? Playing chicken with speedbird xxx was always good fun. Especially holding between runways!

BEagle
21st Oct 2011, 21:20
Are we missing anybody? Is there anyone/anywhere else in the military community that would gain from such a briefing?

SF

Gonzo
21st Oct 2011, 22:01
Beags, we're covering that off already.

jamesdevice
21st Oct 2011, 22:10
do the French & Belgians need to know for those times when their SAR aircraft come across? Or do they never get that far?

proudfishead
22nd Oct 2011, 04:08
I can assure you that the brief would be appreciated at both RNAS Culdrose and Yeovilton. I've done the heli lanes five or six times this year, including Heathrow crossings and know that it's something frontline NAS' are encouraged to do. Feel free to PM me if you want contact details for the relevant points of contact at both air stations.

Gonzo
22nd Oct 2011, 07:21
Thanks, PM sent.

We're also preparing a magazine type article....We know about Air Clues, are there any other military publications we should approach?

Jamesdevice, we'll run this out to the Irish Air Corps whose SAR helos have been known to come into London. Never seen anyone else.

LXGB
22nd Oct 2011, 07:54
The Apache Sqns at Wattisham as well as the above mentioned SAR Flt?

ShyTorque
22nd Oct 2011, 22:21
How about the bloke who tried crossing today at 3500 feet in radio silence? :E