PDA

View Full Version : one too many ??

easondown
25th Feb 2002, 02:35
As a resonably new first officer, I was wondering if someone more experienced could possibly answer a question based on a well known "possible" scenario :

You are down route and it is time to leave the hotel and you meet all of the crew at the hotel reception, but the captain is no where to be seen. He arrives 20 miutes later. The FO and some of the crew suspect he has had a few "refreshments" from the mini bar in his room - how should the first officer handle the situation ?

SixDemonBag
25th Feb 2002, 04:00
Forcefully state that it is criminal to pay those over-inflated prices for little bottles of alcahol and that it would be in the intrests of the crew to all call in sick and head to the nearest pub. Insist that it is his shout.

Herod
25th Feb 2002, 20:15
I presume that you are asking a serious question, so an attempt at a serious answer. You really have to prevent him from getting anywhere near the aircraft. If possible, take him to one side and tactfully suggest that calling in sick might be a good idea, probably taking the line that he must have had some dodgy food last night. Don't mention the booze, it's a legal minefield at this stage. If you have an experienced senior cabin crew, she may be able to put it better than you. Failing that, I'm afraid you really have to shop the guy, nasty as it sounds. You have a duty to the passengers and your employer, not to mention little things like the authorities and your licence. Good luck if it ever happens, not a nice position to be in.

ornithopter
25th Feb 2002, 20:59
Tell him/her that you will call in sick if he/she doesn't. Say that you will tell them why you are calling in sick (if you are not believed). It saves your neck and those of your passengers, and is quite discreet. If the Captain is in a position to affect your future employment, then feign a tummy bug and call in sick anyway - have a quiet word with the company afterwards. Difficult situation that I hope I never come across, but that was the advice we were given by an experienced bloke in HPL lessons.