PDA

View Full Version : A320 rudder, leg force for surface deflection?

Ragazzo
20th Oct 2011, 17:52
Flying the 320 series, I wonder how much force has to be applied by the leg on the relevant rudder pedal during the flight control check, or following an engine fail.
Any idea, reference?

PS
Right now havin' a problem with a knee, and I'd need the data for my doc :\

misd-agin
20th Oct 2011, 18:54
80 lbs. Page 18 of the following document -

http://www.avweb.com/newspics/AA_587_3-1-04.pdf

If the link doesn't work google - 'rudder breakout force' and select the 6th choice - American Airlines 587 Submission

Ragazzo
20th Oct 2011, 21:18
Thanx misd-agin, that was a quick reply :ok:

Effectively the doc states 80lbs for the 320 (though the report is for the 300, other types are listed on page 14).
I'm still not sure of the value though, as the 80lbs are at V1, 135kts in this case.

Using your googling idea also returned a document from Ural Airlines with an FCOM Bulletin now showing even less force required, e.g. 30daN = 67lbs on a diagram. Just spent some time perusing my 320 FCOMs for it, but nope...

Anybody with an A320 (or other "official") reference as to the force to be used during the preflight (usually during taxi) control check?

misd-agin
21st Oct 2011, 02:16
Lucky break that I saw your post right after you'd posted it.

Breakout force is the required to move the pedal away from rest.

I'm pretty sure that force required to move the pedals during the control check is similar to, or the same force required at V1.

At higher speeds, with rudder limiters working, the force and travel will be less on Airbus a/c(page 18/67, numbered page 14, Attachment 9).

Boeing's rudder forces(IMO a better, newer design 747 and subsequent) always require the same amount of rudder force and travel to get 100% of available rudder travel(attachment 10).

In any case with a bad knee/leg you need to be able to do the highest force.

Years ago a friend was required to do an entire engine out takeoff, traffic pattern, and then landing, with no trim to reduce the pressure. He passed(sweating like crazy). Coworker was given the same treatment. On downwind he couldn't hold the pressure anymore. He retried about a month later and passed. Same procedure at two different companies. Not sure if that's an FAA standard but both guys were given the same test by company instructors.