PDA

View Full Version : Colonel Gaddafi is dead.

shawshank
20th Oct 2011, 14:15
Widely reported across all the media. Its all over, for the military at least.

Well done to all involved. Lets hope the recovery plot isn't too painful.

aw ditor
20th Oct 2011, 14:46
Back to El Adem?

SRENNAPS
20th Oct 2011, 14:47
Its all over, for the military at least.

hummmmmmm!! We will see:suspect::suspect:

Grabbers
20th Oct 2011, 15:01
Samxxv,

Stop by the Al Jazeera website (I went via Guido Fawkes' "order-order"). The video* there, whilst distasteful and gruesome, looks fairly convincing to me.

*Graphic content. No link so as not to inadvertently offend anyone.

BOAC
20th Oct 2011, 15:16
Quote:
Its all over, for the military at least.
hummmmmmm!! We will seehttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/cwm13.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/cwm13.gif

Indeed - that was just Round 1 I fear. Now we have the tribal infighting, a bit more corruption, jockeying for power and probably another unstable county. I hope I'm wrong but fear I am not.

Romeo Oscar Golf
20th Oct 2011, 15:29
Sadly BOAC I believe you are right. Gaddafi was a total sh*t but sometimes the sh*t you know is better than the stuff you don't.
Time to get out of Afghanistan as well...but I thread creep.

BEagle
20th Oct 2011, 15:53
From Reuters:

Muammar Gaddafi is dead, Libya's new leaders said, killed by fighters who overran his hometown and final bastion on Thursday. His bloodied body was stripped and displayed around the world from cellphone video.

Senior officials in the interim government, which ended his 42-year rule two months ago but had labored to subdue thousands of diehard loyalists, said his death opened the way for a declaration of "liberation" after eight months of war.

His body was expected in the long-standing rebel stronghold of Misrata, officials said as their Western sponsors held off from confirming that Gaddafi, a self-styled king of kings whom they had lately courted after decades of enmity, was dead at 69.

After Prime Minister Mahmoud Jibril confirmed his demise, the new national flag, resurrected by rebels who forced Gaddafi from his capital Tripoli in August, filled streets and squares as jubilant crowds whooped for joy and fired in the air.

In Sirte, a one-time fishing village and Gaddafi's hometown that grandiose schemes had styled a new "capital of Africa," fighters danced, brandishing a golden pistol they said they had taken from Gaddafi.

Accounts were hazy of his final hours, which also appeared to have cost the lives of senior aides. But top officials of the National Transitional Council, including Abdel Majid Mlegta, said he had died of wounds sustained in clashes.

FINAL HOURS

One possible description, pieced together from various sources, suggests that Gaddafi may have tried to break out of his final redoubt at dawn in a convoy of vehicles after weeks of dogged resistance. However, he was stopped by a NATO airstrike and captured, possibly three or four hours later, after gunbattles with NTC fighters who found him hiding in a drainage culvert.

NATO said its warplanes fired on a convoy near Sirte about 8:30 a.m. (2:30 a.m. EDT), striking two military vehicles in the group, but could not confirm that Gaddafi had been a passenger.

Accounts from his enemies suggested his capture, and death soon after from wounds, may have taken place around noon.

One of Gaddafi's sons, heir-apparent Saif al-Islam, was at large, they believed.
NTC official Mlegta told Reuters that Gaddafi had been wounded in both legs early in the morning as he tried to flee in the convoy which NATO warplanes attacked "He was also hit in his head," he said. "There was a lot of firing against his group and he died."

There was no shortage of NTC fighters in Sirte claiming to have seen him die, though many accounts were conflicting. Libyan television carried video of two drainage pipes, about a meter across, where it said fighters had cornered a man who long inspired both fear and admiration around the world.

After February's uprising in the long discontented east of the country around Benghazi -- inspired by the Arab Spring movements that overthrew the leaders of neighboring Tunisia and Egypt -- the revolt against Gaddafi ground slowly across the country before a dramatic turn saw Tripoli fall in August.

LIBERATION

An announcement of final liberation was expected as the chairman of the NTC prepared to address the nation of six million. They now face the challenge of turning oil wealth once monopolized by Gaddafi and his clan into a democracy that can heal an array of tribal, ethnic and regional divisions he exploited.

The two months since the fall of Tripoli have tested the nerves of the motley alliance of anti-Gaddafi forces and their Western and Arab backers, who had begun to question the ability of the NTC forces to root out diehard Gaddafi loyalists in Sirte and a couple of other towns.

Gaddafi, wanted by the International Criminal Court on charges of ordering the killing of civilians, was toppled by rebel forces on August 23, a week short of the 42nd anniversary of the military coup which brought him to power in 1969.

NTC fighters hoisted the red, black and green national flag above a large utilities building in the center of a newly-captured Sirte neighborhood and celebratory gunfire broke out among their ecstatic and relieved comrades.

Hundreds of NTC troops had surrounded the Mediterranean coastal town for weeks in a chaotic struggle that killed and wounded scores of the besieging forces and an unknown number of defenders.

NTC fighters said there were a large number of corpses inside the last redoubts of the Gaddafi troops. It was not immediately possible to verify that information.

(Writing by Alastair Macdonald; Editing by David Stamp)

But no doubt you conspiracy theorists will have him playing golf with Elvis, JFK and Lord Lucan....

Vortex what...ouch!
20th Oct 2011, 16:44
He certainly isn't dead. Let's wait for an Internationally certified DNA test (NOT CIA/British) on the provided remains. Guaranteed that his family/tribe have provided a murdered "lookalike" so that he can flee.

He can't hide for long though in this technological age. The financial footprint will discover enormous withdrawls - but not find the individual. Mossad will do that & finish the matter.

Nahh, the tosser is toast, and good riddance.

Capetonian
20th Oct 2011, 16:46
I hear he's expected at the G20 conference in Cannes next month.

TEEEJ
20th Oct 2011, 17:33
From Associated Press

French defense chief says a French fighter jet fired on the convoy carrying Moammar Gadhafi.

The Associated Press: LIBYA LIVE: Piecing together the day Gadhafi died (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g7ElXHq4NivdFd9UqvT2-lU-LJMw?docId=ba3b8676cb5f45f1b322ee7f6e743bc8)

TJ

Duncan D'Sorderlee
20th Oct 2011, 18:21
Of course, the death of Saddam led to peace and goodwill t'wards all men in Iraq. Or did it?

Duncs:ok:

Here's hoping that Libya sorts itself out in good time with no ethnic/religious massacres to come. Here's hoping...

airman13
20th Oct 2011, 18:41
I regret so much the death of those leaders who are loving their people, and are killed by the payed criminals.Rest in peace, dear colonel!

NutLoose
20th Oct 2011, 19:04
Ahh.... from a man being courted by UK Governments to a cortege and denouncement by the UK Government, such is the fickle manner of UK politics....

As for the way he died, well, one reaps what one sows and his hands were never clean, rather an apt way to go really.... hopefully he suffered as did his victims.............. Suprised a funeral is on the cards which could possibly make a focus for "pilgrimages" by those that supported him, a short sharp trip out to sea to join Bin Laden would seem a better fate...

Navaleye
20th Oct 2011, 19:59
For the people of Libya and the rest of us today can only be a celebration. I hope his sons meet the same fate asap.

I'm really looking forward to seeing similar pictures of the Iranian leadership.

it will come! can't wait.

Airborne Aircrew
20th Oct 2011, 20:06
I'm waiting for his arse to go on sale so I'll have a matching pair over the fireplace...:}

Navaleye
20th Oct 2011, 20:18
Reuters reporting that Gaddafi had several nasty accidents after capture including dragged through the street by a truck. Fantastic stuff.

500N
20th Oct 2011, 20:19
Navaleye

Re his sons, it might be nice to see them dead but I reckon the two worst one's need to squirm in a full public court and be tried - before being executed.

I just hope some of the other "senior" leadership is caught and tried.

Hopefully Libya quietens down now and they all get back to building the country.

Navaleye
20th Oct 2011, 20:31
Completely agree. A proper trial under Lybian would be very helpful. I know a factory that makes rope if they live that long :D

R 21
20th Oct 2011, 20:52
So when does the civil war start? All those various tribes, former regime and wanna be politicians jockeying for power.

Kreuger flap
20th Oct 2011, 21:50
I'm waiting for his arse to go on sale

I have heard that rock apes are happy to pay for a mans arse. Gay.

ZH875
20th Oct 2011, 21:57
Now Gadaffi is dead what will the NAAFI be called now?

On a more serious note, can we now send the Libyan Benefit err I mean Asylum Seekers home, as the Colonel is now no longer a threat to them or their extended families?

Airborne Aircrew
20th Oct 2011, 22:07
Kreuger:

I have heard that rock apes are happy to pay for a mans arse. Gay.

You shouldn't believe everything you hear...

You should also get back in touch with the real world... Search for "Saddam's arse for sale" on Google...;)

Navaleye
20th Oct 2011, 22:14
Yes of course the conflict is over and they should all be deported as soon as possible.

NutLoose
20th Oct 2011, 22:24
Airborne Aircrew (http://www.pprune.org/members/178466-airborne-aircrew)

I'm waiting for his arse to go on sale so I'll have a matching pair over the fireplace...http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

Or you could just polish the one to a mirror finish, then everytime you looked at it you would get two for the price of one......

;):p:p:p:E

Airborne Aircrew
20th Oct 2011, 22:29
Or you could just polish the one to a mirror finish, then everytime you looked at it you would get two for the price of one......

B-I-T-C-H...

Brilliant... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

jamesdevice
21st Oct 2011, 00:28
He's dead
Good
Nothing else worth saying

Buster Hyman
21st Oct 2011, 01:44
Poor guy. All those years running the show, and nobody thought to promote him from Colonel.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
21st Oct 2011, 08:25
Perhaps his role model was that bloke in the white suit who sells fried chicken.

Until the possibility of civil war is resolved, I wouldn't hold your breath on the refugees. When/if that does kick off, I wonder which side will get the most air support.

jindabyne
21st Oct 2011, 10:41
I trust that Blair will be attending the funeral?

NutLoose
21st Oct 2011, 11:27
This image if there is any justice will haunt him..........

http://images.scribblelive.com/2011/10/20/0d69c337-15cf-4d66-b003-9cdc48f9a4c8_400.jpg

NutLoose
21st Oct 2011, 11:36
Now the revolution seems to becoming to an end, the next phase is beginning....

Health and Safety phase part 1
Stray bullets

http://images.scribblelive.com/2011/8/30/cb2fa7e6-2364-42e6-8744-8099339c30b6_400.jpg

Part 2
Will included safe working practices in using ladders and the mandatory requirement for the useage of safety hats and tabbards...

:ok::E

from
This has been hung in Martyr Square, Tripoli, to remind rebel fighters not to shoot in the air while celebrating
by Press Association LiveBlog HJ8/30/2011 11:39:59 AM
*Live updates: Colonel Gaddafi killed - MSN News UK (http://news.uk.msn.com/live-updates/gaddafi-killed/)

Red Line Entry
21st Oct 2011, 11:43
Why will the photo haunt him? Libya was a pariah state that supported terrorism across the world, including in Northern Ireland. However, in 2003, Gaddaffi announced that Libya would renounce sponsorship of terrorism and would not seek to develop WMDs.

Against that backdrop, what did you expect the world community to do? To reject this move and keep Libya out in the cold, encouraging it to continue in its old ways? Yes, rapprochment was distasteful (just as it was with the IRA), but welcome to the real world!

I'm no fan of Tony Blair, but to critisise him for this indicates that some posters live in a utopian world that bears no resemblance to reality.

Archimedes
21st Oct 2011, 12:03
REL -you are, of course, correct in that pragmatism had to be the order of the day.

I suspect that the problem for many people may well be the enthusiasm with which Mr Blair approached bringing the late Colonel back into the fold: the then-PM always came across in a 'this is all terribly jolly and Muamar's such a nice chap, really' fashion, whereas one can imagine (say) Jim Callaghan being just as polite, but in a rather more detatched fashion.

You always got the impression that Blair would have happily sent Gaddafi a birthday card ('With best wishes from Tony and Cherie') - and who knows, he may well have done - whereas pretty much every (every?) PM since 1945 would've been perfectly courteous but not quite so ready with the enthusiastic handshake and ready smile.

NutLoose
21st Oct 2011, 12:06
Because the previous poster asked if he would be attending the funeral and I would think that with that image in mind he would not be very welcome, hence it would haunt him..... And as replied to your post, there is the, it is ok approaching and trying to bring him back into the fold line, but the image presents much more than that.....

jindabyne
21st Oct 2011, 12:23
Not wishing to enter a protracted debate RLE, I think that your appreciation of utopia in this instance is somewhat misplaced. And your parallel with IRA rapprochement is equally spurious. In his autobiography 'A Journey', it is interesting (and perhaps telling) that Blair makes very scant reference to Libya, and none to his relationship or dealings with Gaddafi. I agree with the two recent posters in that it is the image that Blair created which (to me) is offensive: I think his predecessors would have been far more discrete.

Lonewolf_50
21st Oct 2011, 13:02
The real fighting is about to begin, in Libya, or I miss my guess. Many spoils to be fought over, and the NATO air will drift away soon, leaving the ground wide open for all factions to fight.

This is hard to stop, unless NATO wants to get into "bombing the arsehole of the week" (to protect civilians of course :rolleyes::rolleyes:) which means that one by one, NATO will lose people to work with and influence in any way, shape, or form.

I hate to sound so glum, but I don't see anything but more blood letting, in fits and starts and bursts, for about the next year. :uhoh:

Until the next Caudillo (however you say that in Arabic) arrives on a horse. :p

BEagle
21st Oct 2011, 14:34
In his autobiography 'A Journey'....

I hope you didn't pay to read Bliar's version of Mein Kampf, jinda'?

:(

Red Line Entry
21st Oct 2011, 14:42
It's a fair point that there was a level of affability when Blair went to Libya that was unseemly. Maybe it was just Blair's automatic reaction to a camera!

reds & greens
21st Oct 2011, 15:08
He's endex - that's a dead Sirte.

jindabyne
21st Oct 2011, 18:02
BEags. Oh dear, I did! On the grounds that I could only slag the b*****d's literary drone off if I'd actually read it. The man, and his spouse, are beyond words, as they say. Why is it that I still cannot see him as anything other than a plonker of an undergraduate? And I like most undergrads! Agree, Lonewolf.

phil9560
21st Oct 2011, 21:23
Well I've watched the video and don't see much to admire about our brave rebels.In fact if they're Libya's future then its frying pan and fire.Or maybe I'm just a bit squeamish.

500N
21st Oct 2011, 21:44
phil

I think the Rebels have been pretty gutsy taking on Gadafi before NATO got involved. And even though they had "air cover" after NATO, still a good effort to do what they did with a lack of heavy weapons that a modern Army would use.

Also, wouldn't you separate the rebels from the NTC leadership ? Most of the Rebels would have jumped on the bad wagon and thought it a good chance for a Holiday and a shoot 'em up.

RookiePilot
21st Oct 2011, 22:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFvpfkUyBqE&feature=player_embedded

Makes for an interesting watch; an alternative opinion.

phil9560
21st Oct 2011, 22:29
Points taken.As I said maybe I'm too squeamish-I thought Saddam's dispatch was 'unbecoming' for example.However a sadistic bloodthirsty mob remains as such whatever context its placed in.

500 I agree many of the fighters will have come along for the ride.How many do you think will permanently lay down arms ?

500N
21st Oct 2011, 22:52
Phil
Personally, I always thought that if SOME of the Rebels got hold of him he would be killed without trial - the same for some of his sons. As it was, it proved true. I don't blame them and in some ways, it may be easier on everyone since the bloody leftist do gooders would have got involved if he went to trial.

I would have liked him to stand trial ONLY so we got some answers to certain things - Lockerbie, PC Fletcher, Semtex / Arms shipments, the IRA, German disco bombing and others, the remains of the US Airman still in Libya from the 1996 bombing. I still think he should have been hung or shot afterwards.

Considering the Rebels seemed to be reasonably co-ordinated at some points in the campaign, the media reports near the end seemed to be more a rag tag brigade and the leadership had stayed in Tripoli.

Maybe I just got different media footage or read the situation differently.

"How many do you think will permanently lay down arms ?"
All depends on how quickly the NTC gets it's ass into gear and starts running the country and enforcing the rule of law.

Not all will, that is for sure - the mountain people in the west (the one's who stormed Tripoli) I think might stay armed so they don't get walked over again like in the last 40 years.

They have had a while to get ready so hopefully the US, British and French have got some decent plans laid out that are already being implemented.
After all, they have had Tripoli for a while now.

I wonder if they will resurrect the Military and Police but with new commanders and get some sort of law and order going to stop any further violence ?

We don't need a Muslim / Islamic nightmare on Europe's doorstep, that's for sure.

phil9560
21st Oct 2011, 23:26
I've been on the road for the last week so my media access is limited.I agree a fair trial would have been the most favourable end.And the best example.

But undeniably 'interesting times' ahead for Libya.Fingers crossed !

Navaleye
21st Oct 2011, 23:41
I have to agree with the above. He has caused some much harm to all of us. He got what he deserved from his own people. No lawyers, no fees, just a carcass. Bin it and move on. Justice has been done. I think of the poor souls on PAN AM 103 and of Yvonne Fletcher and the many other un-named victims of this monster. He died the death he deserved.

SASless
22nd Oct 2011, 01:12
We don't need a Muslim / Islamic nightmare on Europe's doorstep, that's for sure.

Hate to burst your bubble....but that has already occurred....it is called the UK!

500N
22nd Oct 2011, 01:32
SAS

Yes, I know, it turned that way when I lived there although
at that stage I think it was mostly West Indians, indians
and Pakistanis (Birmingham mainly so maybe someone
can refresh my memory from the 70's).

NutLoose
22nd Oct 2011, 08:32
phil9560Well I've watched the video and don't see much to admire about our brave rebels.In fact if they're Libya's future then its frying pan and fire.Or maybe I'm just a bit squeamish

What do you actually see? you see a group of men pull him covered in blood to the front of a vehicle and onto the bonnet, and in reality that is all you see, though one person may of hit him with a pistol, the shot is also jerky and looped, but that is all it shows.

You do not know is how he got covered in blood in the first place, result of the air raid ? result of a firefight to get him out of his hiding place? all speculation really.

Now if you were taking someone down in a high risk area, you would tend to bundle him to cover also, would you not?. You are always going to get some tension due to what he has done to your friends and countrymen over the last few decades, years, days, hours and minutes too.

El Grifo
22nd Oct 2011, 09:58
Rose Tinted Specs there methinks Nutloose !!

I reckon his end was pretty well forseeable. They are a pretty savage bunch down there !

My only hope, that unlike the fiasco in Iraq, NATO at least has and End Game plan up it's sleeve, although I doubt it.

How many of the weapons will find their way into the hands of the "brothers"

Christmas and birthdays all rolled into one for they of the "one true god" I reckon :(

SASless
22nd Oct 2011, 11:37
Lounge Chair Expert again Grifo?

You create mass graves by killing your opponents and anyone who speaks ill of you....then get much the same treatment as all those dead in the graves...and the guy deserves anything but what he got?

What planet are you living on?

racedo
22nd Oct 2011, 11:39
How many of the weapons will find their way into the hands of the "brothers"

Christmas and birthdays all rolled into one for they of the "one true god" I recko

Think you are right but its not find more like already found as Israeli's have acted over last couple of months to reduce the supply but even they know it was too late.

Pandora's box was opened.

TEEEJ
22nd Oct 2011, 11:42
RookiePilot,

That is Lizzie Phelan. She also goes under her maiden name of Lizzie Cocker. She is simply a naive idiot who allowed herself to be manipulated by the Gaddafi regime and his ministry of information. All her reports were biased in favour of the regime. Essentially NATO was failing and the rebels were not making progress.

The Gaddafi regime couldn't believe their luck when she arrived in Tripoli. Wherever the Gadaffi press minders took her she reported in full support of the regime. She was even claiming that AH-64 Apaches were mowing down thousands of civilians in Tripoli.

She writes for the Voltaire Network and also Pravda. The voltaire network is run by Thierry Meyssan. Meyssan was the conspiracy loon who made a fortune from his book claiming that 9/11 was an inside job. Meyssan spent half his time in Tripoli claiming that he was going to be bumped off by CIA and MI6 agents posing as journalist in Tripoli. Phelan was also on speed dial for Russia Today reports.

An example of her naivety in Libya. An extremely naive individual who was stunned when Tripoli fell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tghoRiZ3ek

An example of 'fake footage' that these types of reporters actually believed took place. They claimed that the rebels in Green Square was actually a film set in Doha!

Al Jazeera’s fake Green Square « Stop War Crimes! (http://stopwarcrimes.wordpress.com/2011/08/22/al-jazeeras-fake-green-square/)

22-08-11 - Latest live from Tripoli with Lizzie Phelan : the Truth (Traduction Français English) - YouTube

NATO destroying Libyan education system 2 - YouTube

charliegolf
22nd Oct 2011, 11:56
The logical CG says that justice must be seen to be done etc.......

The pragmatic CG is happy that not a single penny or cent will be spent on months of expensive incarceration, guarding; and best of all no Shami lawyers wringing their hands and banking huge cheques.

One down, who's next?

CG

El Grifo
22nd Oct 2011, 12:06
Lounge Chair Expert again Grifo?

You create mass graves by killing your opponents and anyone who speaks ill of you....then get much the same treatment as all those dead in the graves...and the guy deserves anything but what he got?

What planet are you living on?

Hold -Up there Amigo. Who amongst us is not, when it comes to this particular subject.

I have no real argument with the way he was found and dispatched, not a soul can say it was not deserved. No idea from where you concocted that little idea !

End Game and dispersion of weapons was of more interest to me.

Jusy look at the debacle in Iraq after the "victory"

Navaleye
22nd Oct 2011, 21:00
Can't wait to see similar footage of Assad. Good luck to the Syrian people.

Fox Four
25th Oct 2011, 19:55
Maybe its a bit of payback for the crew of Karma 52.

U.S. Air Force Major Fernando L. Ribas-Dominicci, and Captain Paul F. Lorence.

RIP

El Grifo
27th Oct 2011, 18:46
Whoda thunk it ??

Colonel Muammar Gaddafi's Weapons And Missiles Could Fall Into Al Qaeda Hands Says Stuart Peach | World News | Sky News (http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16097594)

RileyDove
27th Oct 2011, 19:08
I think its also convienient for the West as some of the questions regarding rendition and who really funded the PA103 bombing will disappear from peoples memories.

500N
27th Oct 2011, 19:35
Riley

Who do you think funded the bombing and why ?

Airborne Aircrew
27th Oct 2011, 20:13
Who do you think funded the bombing and why ?

It reeks of CIA... Bush just wanted to start a war with Libya... :E

500N
27th Oct 2011, 20:28
Well it didn't start a war so that idea failed.

I could think of a heap of other ways to start a confrontation with Libya without bringing down a jet with an important CIA station chief on board.

And if it was the CIA, why did they cock up the timing of it ?
- or did they want it to crash onto the land and not into the sea
as it was supposed to based on the original time of flight.

maxred
27th Oct 2011, 20:30
Interesting AA. Has always been well discussed in the land of Conspiracy Theory.

Reckon the truth in this one will be well stranger than fiction:mad:

phil9560
27th Oct 2011, 21:42
Hasn't there always been the tiniest suspicion that maybe Iran was behind PanAm 103 ?

Airborne Aircrew
27th Oct 2011, 22:26
500 and Max...

I'm pretty sure that there wasn't a Bush in the White House when PanAm 103 went down... It was Ronnie Babe IIRC...

The :E implies the comment was possibly a little deceitful... ;)

PS: The ;) means that I'm winking at you... Just so you know... :ok:

PPS: The :ok: means I see everything as "OK"... :)

PPPS: The :) means I'm happy... :cool:

Dare I go on? :}

MTOW
27th Oct 2011, 23:28
Hasn't there always been the tiniest suspicion that maybe Iran was behind PanAm 103 ?I've been led to believe that those in the know were pretty certain that it was Syria, but Bush #1 needed Syria on side for Gulf War One, so realpolitik intruded and Col Gaddafi became the unfortunate pick a patsy.

I'd be guessing that quite a few people high up in the West are breathing a sigh of relief that the good colonel isn't around to set the record straight in quite a few areas in any trial he might have been forced to endure. I'd also be guessing that french, German, US and UK (at the very least) teams are in Tripoli right now sanitizing as many Libyan Government records as they can get their hands on.

On yesterday's (Australian) news, there were reports that moments before he was killed, Gaddafi was subjected to "a violent sexual assault". Have any details come to light to explain what that might have involved? If that report is accurate, I suspect that even the usual suspects among the Western Leftie huggiefluffs might stumble in explaining that curious Arab "cultural difference".

500N
27th Oct 2011, 23:40
"On yesterday's (Australian) news, there were reports that moments before he was killed, Gaddafi was subjected to "a violent sexual assault". Have any details come to light to explain what that might have involved?"

I believe (read somewhere) it involved sticking a knife up his backside - and probably a few twists and turns involved as well and maybe even a few slices around the front as well.

NutLoose
28th Oct 2011, 00:33
Film on youtube BTW......

Sorry I have no sympathy for a man that systematically treated his own population to abuse like this over the years he was in power. At least his family got some closure and he got a funeral..... a lot of his victims didn't.

500N
28th Oct 2011, 00:49
I think the NTC should tell the International do gooders to butt out and let it be.
It is only going to stir up controversy within Libya and might make it even harder for the NTC to get up and going.

Let's hope not.

Does anyone really care that he got tapped ? (Apart from his family of course).

He did a lot worse to his own people, what about the 1600 or so who were executed in the notorious Benghazi prison ?

phil9560
28th Oct 2011, 05:05
Does anyone really care that he got tapped ? (Apart from his family of course).

Well I won't be sending flowers but ,as a taxpayer, there are certain ways I'd like the rebels I back to act.And sticking bayonets up prisoners backsides is only one of the issues I'd raise.Probably moving on to mass graves later.

500N
28th Oct 2011, 05:20
Phil

I agree, not how I think they should have acted but what did they expect after what he did.

I think it was naive of NATO / NTC to not think that something like this would happen.

GreenKnight121
28th Oct 2011, 06:15
500 and Max...

I'm pretty sure that there wasn't a Bush in the White House when PanAm 103 went down... It was Ronnie Babe IIRC...

The http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif implies the comment was possibly a little deceitful... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

PS: The http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif means that I'm winking at you... Just so you know... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

PPS: The http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif means I see everything as "OK"... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

PPPS: The http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif means I'm happy... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/cool.gif

Dare I go on? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

Lets re-cap.

November 8, 1988: US Presidential election.
Winner: sitting Vice President of the United States, George Herbert Walker Bush (former director of CIA January 30, 1976 to January 20, 1977 under President Ford).

21 December 1988: Explosion aboard Pan American Airlines flight #103.

So, while Ronald Wilson Reagan was still President on that date, George H. W. Bush was both President-elect and Vice President.

I've been led to believe that those in the know were pretty certain that it was Syria, but Bush #1 needed Syria on side for Gulf War One, so realpolitik intruded and Col Gaddafi became the unfortunate pick a patsy.

Don't you think that this was a bit early to think about getting Syria "on side" for Gulf War 1? I mean, this was a full 18 months before Iraq started making noises about "punishing" Kuwait for its exceeding its quota for oil production, and 19 months and 12 days before Iraq invaded Kuwait!

That's a long time to be setting up a coalition to oppose Iraq... even if you are nudging Iraq towards action... which they might well refuse to take.

KAG
28th Oct 2011, 06:47
There is a thread about it on Jet Blast.

El Grifo
28th Oct 2011, 08:41
Bugger !! That just leaves Iran and the Vicennes then (CG-49) :sad:

Oh yeah, and Dalkamoni !

NutLoose
28th Oct 2011, 10:59
I think the NTC should tell the International do gooders to butt out and let it be.
It is only going to stir up controversy within Libya and might make it even harder for the NTC to get up and going.

I totally agree, to start pointing fingers will simply cause friction in a Country that at the moment needs help and encouragement, not a political witch hunt.....

And it is not exactly something new, we didn't see a lot of people falling over backwards to be finger pointing when Mussolini met his end..

maxred
28th Oct 2011, 14:48
Ah, the beautiful world of international politics. Global diplomacy, weapons manufacturers, dictators, corrupt governments, oil, no oil:hmm:, leave them alone then.

What's mass murder when the country concerned has no material or mineral wealth:rolleyes:

Enough to make you start a war:ugh:

A fairly graphic version of the end is available at www.globalpost.com (http://www.globalpost.com)

Great to see that in an effort to be badder than Bliar, Cameron supports and condones summary execution. Prime time TV to boot - great for the kids to watch:ok: