PDA

View Full Version : Another one...all potential Grand National Winners, of course.

Whenurhappy
20th Oct 2011, 09:41
Low-flying RAF helicopter spooked horses, trainer claims - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8837565/Low-flying-RAF-helicopter-spooked-horses-trainer-claims.html)

Yozzer
20th Oct 2011, 10:27
When we flicked two fingers, he came back again.

Surely that was an invite for a second pass; why else display two fingers!

I would put money on not a single high-vis vest* or saddle cover between them and the 'second pass' was probably a turn to look back and ensure nothing further to report after a late spot.

*Despite the RAF donating hundreds of high-vis items free via the Equestrian Society. Hopefully this will concluded appropriately soonest although the feds may as well set up a permanent det at Odiham they are there so often.

scarecrow450
20th Oct 2011, 11:07
Why don't we have a collection, buy all the horse's in the UK then turn them into glue and dog food ? No more spooked horse's !!

5 Forward 6 Back
20th Oct 2011, 12:02
I do hate it when laymen comment on manoeuvres or heights being "dangerous." He was "dangerously low," he came "perilously close," a "highly dangerous, irresponsible manoeuvre."

Mrs Duffield, as an equestrian enthusiast myself I feel sorry for you and your distress; but I'm willing to be you've never flown any form of military aircraft, and are therefore poorly placed to comment on whether or not any manoeuvre was "dangerous" or not.

PTC REMF
20th Oct 2011, 16:19
"Although there is an informal no-fly zone over the immediate area following a similar incident eight years ago,"

What is an informal no-fly zone?

ready eddy
20th Oct 2011, 16:26
5 Forward 6 Back, I'm sure she was meaning the maneuver was dangerous for her, the jockeys and the horses, not for the helicopter!

Halton Brat
21st Oct 2011, 10:18
Horses & women are equally fickle creatures; however, some horsewomen are jolly good fun (HB something of an 'orseman himself).

I am reminded of an Anglo-Irish Ascendancy female, a Lady Molly something, who held court in a slowly-crumbling mansion in the west of Ireland. Riding to hounds was her life (even in her dotage), and she had a penchant for swimming naked in the fountain in front of her humble abode when hosting Hunt Balls there.

One day whilst out hunting, she rode into a local village (Ballygobackwards?); one of the local lads, observing that her horse had clearly galloped over half of Connemara that morning, called to her "Ah sure your horse is terrible lathered up your Ladyship", to which she replied "My dear boy, if you had spent the last 4 hours between my legs, you would be equally lathered up!"

This grand dame has since moved on, to hunt in a Better Place; the world is diminished by the loss of her ilk.

HB

Rocket2
21st Oct 2011, 11:56
HB
""My dear boy, if you had spent the last 4 hours between my legs, you would be equally lathered up!"

Cue dinner being spat over my keyboard :p
R2