PDA

View Full Version : Licencing question

Tourist
18th Oct 2011, 18:16
A friend of mine was thinking about converting his JAA licences A + H into FAA ones.

He has been told that this is relatively simple.

Anybody one here done it recently?

Trim Stab
18th Oct 2011, 19:18
For ATPL(A) you would at least need to do the FAA written exams which are easy-peasy multiple choice. For thickos who can't understand the theory well enough to work out the answers from first principles, it is possible to buy a CD containing all possible questions and then simply memorise the correct answers. ATPL(H) is probably similar.

You have to do a handling test on a light twin (for fixed wing). This is a bit harder than the JAR equivalent, and you will need to do some prior training with an FTO so that you understand what the examiner wishes to see.

Shiny side down
18th Oct 2011, 19:31
UK JAA to FAA. I did this a short time ago.
Some or all of the following is open to correction, so sorry for any errors.

You can download the test question bank stuff, as an alternative to the CD.
For a fee.

In the UK, you can take the exam at FS Farnborough, at £70 a shot, If I remember correctly. If in the US, the FAA website gives a list of test centres. All ATP for example ( I think), for a better dollar amount.
I did it in the UK for expediency.

Pass is 70% I think.

You have 2 choices, Part 121 exam, or part 135(?)
I chose 135, but in hindsight, I should have gone with 121.
exams are mixture of questions. 135 exam has performance, loading questions on something like a small commuter TP. 121 would be more akin to A32x/B737

You get a snazzy little credit card, but privileges are available on completion of a flight test (light aircraft, etc) or completion of a FAA type rating. I did the latter. You still have to do a course, if I understand correctly, even though you may have a JAA rating.

eg.JAA B737 rating, and 1500hrs on type, you can do an experienced airman (short course) to get the FAA rating. You are not automatically awarded ratings.

Whopity
19th Oct 2011, 06:13
There are two routes open depending on what you actually want to do. You can obtain a licence validation whereby you get a Restricted FAA Certificate based on your existing licence which is adequate for recreational purposes, or you can obtain the full FAA Certificate based upon taking the multichoice exam and a flight test. Both routes have been complicated post 9/11 due to TSA requirements and the need for foreign licence validation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=68&gid=1048) before you go. Its no longer possible to walk into a FISDO and come out with a Temporary Certificate Airman whilst the main certificate arrives later through the post. Like air travel generally its become a pain in the arse.

Tourist
19th Oct 2011, 06:57
Thanks for all the replys and PMs guys. Doesn't sound too bad.