View Full Version : Long Pork

OFSO
18th Oct 2011, 17:37
I'm not so concerned with whether it happened or not, but have any PPRuNers with experience of far-off countries any good recipies, just in case one finds a sudden need ?

Did cannibal eat German tourist Stefan Ramin? - TNT Magazine (http://www.tntmagazine.com/tnt-today/archive/2011/10/17/did-cannibal-eat-german-tourist-stefan-ramin.aspx)

rgbrock1
18th Oct 2011, 18:13
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Cannibals.23232.jpg/714px-Cannibals.23232.jpg

Mallan
18th Oct 2011, 18:58
Very nice with some chips and mayo.

So I'm told.

sled dog
18th Oct 2011, 18:59
nice illustration of a typical Texas bbq...........

Lon More
18th Oct 2011, 19:12
don't forget things go better with Coca-Cola

G-CPTN
18th Oct 2011, 19:25
I believe that Coca Cola is an ideal liquid for tenderising meat by marinating it and for cooking it in.

con-pilot
18th Oct 2011, 19:27
Well in that picture they have the fire way too hot. That's just the first of all the mistakes they are making.

Now first thing you do is,,,,,,oh, huh, err, never mind. :uhoh:

wings folded
18th Oct 2011, 19:30
Judging by the grimaces on all their faces, either the source meat was not up to scratch or the seasoning needed to be adjusted.

Probably not enough kosher salt?

vulcanised
18th Oct 2011, 19:43
When I saw the title I thought it was going to be your sexual marathon experience.

rgbrock1
18th Oct 2011, 19:44
The grimaces on their faces were probably caused by the young lady in the upper-right corner of the picture, holding a Leg of Lenny up. Look at about mid-section of her body. Yuck!!!!!

wings folded
18th Oct 2011, 19:49
That can't be it. Most of them are not looking in their (I mean her )direction.

They need a good side dish of decent scrambled eggs, don't they Con?

Tankertrashnav
18th Oct 2011, 19:50
Probably not enough kosher salt?

Still don't get this kosher salt thing. Salt is salt is salt, isn't it?

Anyway, what's more to the point - is eating people kosher?

rgbrock1
18th Oct 2011, 19:51
It's my understanding that as long as a person is "blessed" by a Rabbi, then eating someone else is indeed Kosher.

wings folded
18th Oct 2011, 19:53
Still don't get this kosher salt thing. Salt is salt is salt, isn't it?
Neither do I, but ask Con

Anyway, what's more to the point - is eating people kosher?
It's not really pork, you know.

tony draper
18th Oct 2011, 20:03
Same as this Sea Salt the television cooks are always dribbling on about,salt is salt, unrefined sea salt probably has loads of other nasty chemicals in it.
More snob cookery bullsh!te if you ask me.
:rolleyes:

Takan Inchovit
18th Oct 2011, 20:11
I wasn't going to say it but, should the thread title read 'Pork Hunt?'

Solid Rust Twotter
18th Oct 2011, 20:15
Still happens in Africa. No surprises if it's happening elsewhere too.

wings folded
18th Oct 2011, 20:18
I wasn't going to say it but, should the thread title read 'Pork Hunt?'

Looking at the picture, there is more than one Pork Hunt involved. Several indeed, and this must have ruined their morning.

con-pilot
18th Oct 2011, 20:29
Neither do I, but ask Con

Salt huh, funny thing salt, we cannot live without it. Our bodies must have salt to survive, but our bodies do not make salt, so we have to have it in our diets in order to live. No, I don't have a clue how the hell cave men/women lived without salt, course that may be one of the reasons they didn't live all that long. :p

Anyway, here are the basic salt groups.

Different kinds of salt

Table salt…this is a fine grained salt used by most of us in salt shakers and in our home kitchens. This salt is pretty neutral in flavor and dissolves quickly in warm water. Table salt also contains anti caking additives, which make it flow nicely even in humid weather, and iodine for health reasons.

Kosher salt…Kosher salt is simply salt free from additives. Kosher salt can be finely grained or slightly larger, and is most often used by home cooks in canning or meat brines. The lack of additives makes for clearer brines, and does not impart any unwanted additive flavors over long preservations. When making pickles or curing ham…you'll probably want to reach for the kosher salt. This is the salt I use to cook with, I do not use Kosher salt on food after it is cooked, only before. Kosher salt is the purest salt, as it has no additives. I use the larger grained Kosher salt, the larger grains allows me better judge just how much salt I am putting on the food

Sea salt…sea salt is harvested after piping sea water onto a flat field, allowing the sun to evaporate the water, and collecting the salt that remains. Sea salt is often prized by cooks as it offers are more complex taste. Sea salt contains additional fine deposits of other minerals which accounts for its varied and complex taste. The area from where the salt is harvested, and the mineral properties of the water in that location, affect the flavor. Sea salt can come both finely grained or more granular in nature. The minerals left in sea salt will not hurt you and it does have a more complex flavors depending on the areas of the world it come from. Because of the different flavors of sea salt, I usually do not cook with it, as it is possible that the complex flavors contained in sea salt can and will change the taste of some foods.

Fleur de sel…very expensive sea salt from the northern Atlantic coast of France. The slightly gray salt from this reason is complex and elemental in nature and very prized…the fleur de sel is the very top of the evaporated salt layer, and is comprised of flake like crystals of salt, perfect for sprinkling on a great steak after cooking. The texture and crunch of this pricey sea salt is as prized as the taste. I call this snob salt.

Industrial or rock salt…salt sold in large crystals, not processed and full of impurities, this salt is normally used as road salt, ice cream machine salt, etc. Don't put this stuff on food or consume it in any way, it tastes really nasty. Yes I tasted the stuff, consume enough of it and mostly you'll get sick. Don't think it would kill you though.

Other sea salts…there are salts of varying hues harvested from all of the world's oceans, and they all offer a subtle difference in taste. Gourmet salts, some are worth the price, some are not. There is a red sea salt that I use on some fish dishes, very nice.

Hope that helps.

alisoncc
18th Oct 2011, 20:40
A more serious response to the thread. Over it's long history mankind has always acquired the vast bulk of it's dietary protein from animals, fish and birds. Given that there are countries where there are very limited quantities of same, probably seemed a pity to waste significant amounts of protein just because it came from other humans. Even more so if it came from members of an opposing tribe.

Early '70's lived and flew in what was then TPNG - Australian Territory of Papua New Guinea. Once you got into the dense rainforest, there were no herbivores or fish, and the birds were pretty scrawny. So dietary protein was in very short supply. Huge swathes of the territory were still considered as being cannibal country, and many of the pilots who flew for Malarial Tours (Aerial Tours) carried firearms of some sort just in case, as I did.

Many of the tribal warriors carried stone clubs, and didn't think twice about crushing the skull of anyone who got in their way. It had been common practise for members of a tribe to go on raiding parties against other tribes, quite likely bringing back long pig for consumption. Actual pigs were a prized commodity. Have a photo somewhere of a native woman feeding a piglet at her breast. This was considered quite accepable.

wings folded
18th Oct 2011, 20:45
Con, under your other sea salt category there is Himalayan pink salt, which was once upon a time sea salt, but ended up at an improbably high altitude, a bit like the microlight driver who ventured into the base of a cunim.

I wouldn't cook with it, but crushed on all manner of yummy things, raw or after cooking, it has the flavour enhancement properties of fleur de sel, but the effect is different.

Why anybody with access to fleur de sel or Himalayan pink would ever entertain the notion of MSG is one of life's little mysteries.

con-pilot
18th Oct 2011, 20:54
Himalayan pink salt

I've never been able to find that salt, I'd really like to try some to see how it tastes. Too bad Noah didn't bring that down the mountain, course all those 'two by two animals' may have eaten it all if he had tried. :p

wings folded
18th Oct 2011, 21:03
Con, it is not to be found in every street corner shop, but relatively east to track down over here.

Shame that Noah forgot the salt, but do not forget that he was the first to plant vines, drink the product, and get drunk. I can forgive the lapse over the salt.

He lived to be 950 years (or thereabouts) - lesson there somewhere?

con-pilot
18th Oct 2011, 21:25
Shame that Noah forgot the salt, but do not forget that he was the first to plant vines, drink the product, and get drunk. I can forgive the lapse over the salt.

He lived to be 950 years (or thereabouts) - lesson there somewhere?

You may be on to something, but whatever we do, let's not tell KAG. :p

lomapaseo
18th Oct 2011, 21:34
I want to know what that guy in back is saying while waving his arms

goudie
18th Oct 2011, 21:47
Surprised RollingThunder hasn't come up with a nice recipe.

CAPTION:- ''I said let's beat them''

Tankertrashnav
18th Oct 2011, 22:07
I was listening to a food programme on pickling the other day and a Japanese lady was saying about how pickles of various types played a central part in Japanese cuisine. She then said that this meant that overall the Japanese regularly consume far more salt in their diet than is now recommended. This being so, how does this square with the fact that they have the longest life expectation in the world?

By the way Con thanks for the explanation - I didn't know much about any of that. I like your description of fleur de sel as 'snob salt' :ok:

con-pilot
18th Oct 2011, 22:18
She then said that this meant that overall the Japanese regularly consume far more salt in their diet than is now recommended. This being so, how does this square with the fact that they have the longest life expectation in the world?

Most likely because all that stuff on how bad salt is for you, is a bunch of nonsense.

Oh, and you are more than welcome. :ok:

tony draper
18th Oct 2011, 22:22
Anyway,to get back on topic, we shall have to change the sobriquet to Long Lamb if we are ever to encourage it in the Islamic world.

galaxy flyer
18th Oct 2011, 22:26
Con-pilot

Try Himalayan Salt | Sea Salt | Pink Salt | Himalayan Sea Salt (http://www.HimalaSalt.com) in Great Barrington, MA. They'll ship the pink stuff. If interested, you can get a large-ish, very heavy salt block that is used as a grill. Just brush it off, no washing.

GF

parabellum
18th Oct 2011, 22:40
If the picture is accurate then eating human flesh will send 99% of males bald!

Why anybody with access to fleur DE Sela or Himalayan pink would ever entertain the notion of MSG is one of life's little mysteries.

MSG contains about one third the sodium of salt, is odourless and taste less, however, a few people are allergic and the Chinese tend to over use it which can cause stomach problems. Primary purpose is as a flavour enhancer, it titillates the salivary glands to produce more saliva thus carrying more of the flavour over the taste buds, Voilà! more flavour.

Rollingthunder
18th Oct 2011, 23:30
It gives me a raging headache.

corsair
18th Oct 2011, 23:52
So someone ate a German, allegedly. I'm sorry there are so many potential jokes there. I don't know where to start. So I won't.

G-CPTN
18th Oct 2011, 23:54
I presume the German was not amused.

No sense of humour . . .

Metro man
19th Oct 2011, 02:53
Lots of info around if you know where to look.:E

HowTo:Cook A Human - Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia (http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/HowTo:Cook_A_Human)

Butchering the Human Carcass (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/e-sermons/butcher.html)

sitigeltfel
19th Oct 2011, 06:22
The BBC should run a cookery competition about this subject. The winner would get the "Man Cooker" prize.

Worrals in the wilds
19th Oct 2011, 06:39
When I saw the title I thought it was going to be your sexual marathon experience.

I thought it was going to be a request for snake recipes. :8
It gives me a raging headache.

Same, and a massive, unquenchable 'I've just crawled out of the desert' thirst, usually for the whole night after the meal. I always know if I've eaten it and usually don't go back to the restaurant concerned.

Akrotiri71
19th Oct 2011, 06:59
The bearded fellow at the back doesn’t appear to be too chuffed that an impromptu BBQ is taking place on his front lawn.
Or he may be saying, “FFS Derek, your missus was supposed to bring the potatoe salad!”

tony draper
19th Oct 2011, 07:28
Archeologist studying human skeletons from the olden days in the UK are coming to the conclusion that canabalism was not unknown here ,well not here, down South that is, London and the like,one is not surprized.

green granite
19th Oct 2011, 08:11
Kosher salt/coffee etc also means that it was not packaged on the Jewish Sabbath, and is usually annotated with the supervising Rabbi's name.

Tankertrashnav
19th Oct 2011, 08:31
sitigeltfel - Very funny, and topical too :D

Trim Stab
19th Oct 2011, 08:39
So someone ate a German, allegedly. I'm sorry there are so many potential jokes there. I don't know where to start. So I won't.

I was surprised to learn that Polynesians ate Hamburgers.

tony draper
19th Oct 2011, 08:44
One imagines sea salt would contain large amounts of fish poo,that probably accounts for the subtle flavour difference.:rolleyes:

SLFguy
19th Oct 2011, 11:16
In some dialects on Guadacanal the word for 'white man' was arikwao which made its way into pidjin english usage..

....it means 'long pig'

tony draper
19th Oct 2011, 11:20
In some parts such as the South East of England it is know as the Hornless Goat or 'Corns sans Corns' in that furrin,
:)