PDA

View Full Version : FAA SIC TR = ............ ?

B767PL
18th Oct 2011, 09:12
Hey guys. I hold a Dash-8 SIC TR (FAA) with over 1,000hrs on type.

What does that translate into in JAA land? I know there is no such thing as a SIC TR here. How would I go about converting? I wouldn't have to do a full TR course would I? Especially with over 1,000 on type?

Thanks for any replies. Not sure if this is the correct forum for this.

VJW
18th Oct 2011, 12:21
I'm presuming you already hold at least a JAR CPL and IR, and that all you're wanting to do is add your Dash 8 type rating to this licence, if so here's the answer regarding the UK requirements:

LASORS 2010 Section F9.1

TRANSFER OF TYPE/ CLASS RATINGS FROM A NON-JAA STATE LICENCE
Type Ratings (Aeroplane)

A type rating endorsement on a licence issued by a non-JAA State may be transferred to a UK issued pilot’s licence, subject to:-
i. 500 hours flying experience as pilot on type, operating as P1 or P2 appropriate to the rating required.
ii. Operational experience as pilot on type within the preceding 5 years.
iii. Pass a Proficiency Check on type with a JAA Authorised Examiner.*
iv. Have met the requirements of JAR-FCL 1.250 and 1.251 as applicable, including knowledge of aeroplane performance appropriate to that type (please refer to Section F4 - Knowledge of Aeroplane Performance), and the theoretical knowledge requirements of JAR-FCL 1.251 and 1.285 as applicable.
*Should a synthetic training device be used, the device shall be approved by a JAA Member State that has been recommended for mutual recognition.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1119.pdf + Fee of £119, sent into CAA with original ICAO licence with Dash type rating endorsed, and original logbooks showing +500 hrs on type. If you turn up at the CAA before 12 noon, they'll stick it on your licence the same day too.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_lts_LASORS2010_Section%20F.pdf

If you don't have a UK JAR licence, or any JAR licence, and need to convert that too, let me know.

VJW

B767PL
20th Oct 2011, 10:44
Thank you for the reply and links.

Don't have JAAs done just yet, one more theoretical exam to go (Gen. Nav :ugh:) and the practical examination for the fATPL.

The above links and information, does that apply also to the SIC TR? SIC meaning second in command, so I could only operate as second in command on the type, in the U.S. Not sure if that changes anything, since I would be converting to a full blown T.R. Thanks again. :ok:

VJW
20th Oct 2011, 14:24
Not 100% sure what you mean. The UK CAA does not issue P2 ratings etc, so it'll be unrestricted when you have it added to your licence.

If what you mean is that your Dash 8 type rating is co-pilot (p2) only on the ICAO FAA licence then you need so continue reading Section F9 and ignore section F9.1 - as this is to transfer from a PIC rating. F9.2 is for someone holding a P2 rating.

F9.2 TRANSFER OF CO-PILOT ONLY MULTI-PILOT TYPE RATINGS TO PILOT-IN-COMMAND RATINGS

It is UK policy that all new multi-pilot type ratings included in a UK issued licence will be unrestricted Pilot-in- Command ratings. This is based on the fact that all pilots are trained and tested in the role of Pilot-in-Command.
Therefore, applicants wishing to transfer their Co-Pilot rating to a UK issued licence will be required to meet the following requirements:-

Transfer of co-pilot rating from non-JAR-FCL licence
The applicant must:
1. Produce evidence of having a valid co-pilot rating within non-JAR-FCL licence.
2. Meet the requirements of JAR-FCL 1.250/2.250, including theoretical knowledge requirements.
3. Complete the type rating training at the discretion of the Head of Training at a JAA Approved TRTO.
4. Pass the course based theoretical knowledge examination.
5. Pass the skill test.

Hope this helps.

VJW

B767PL
20th Oct 2011, 22:07
Thanks VJW, that seems to be what I was looking for. So it seems that for the most part it is up to the TRTO, if you meet the other requirements. This helps, thanks again for taking the time and pointing in the right direction, I will look into it further. :ok:

this is my username
14th Nov 2011, 08:54
Apologies for the thread hijack, but does anyone know what the scenario is for migrating a type from FAA to JAA if you have less than 500hrs on type? It's a scenario I might be looking at in 2014 if FAA licence holders in Europe are required to convert to EASA licences.

Thanks

TIMU

Dan the weegie
14th Nov 2011, 09:03
Full initial type rating course AFAIK for converting without 500 hours on type.

this is my username
14th Nov 2011, 11:38
Thanks for the quick response. If I do the type at a JAA approved location (eg the manufacturer) and put it on an FAA licence, do I have to repeat the course or would I just have to do "differences" between the FAA and JAA course (eg check ride and circuits)?

I guess the issue might be that if I did the initial on an FAA licence I wouldn't have met the JAA pre-reqs such as passes in all the ATPL exams prior to doing the type?