PDA

View Full Version : Pilots embarassing themselves on SMH

FireBatHero
17th Oct 2011, 20:43
Please.

Some facts for Doug: 1) For employment, airlines require that recruit pilots have an IQ in the top 5% of the population. 2) Their Verbal Comprehension is also assessed and must be at a level similar to Law graduates. 3) Airline pilots are subjected to multiple 'career jepardy' assessment each year that have a pass mark of at lowest 80%. If you fail one of these twice, you are fired. 4)The suite of manuals for the aircraft that I fly (wide-body international) is occupies 2 shelves in my book case (ie about 20,000 pages) and I must be fully conversant with every word of these documents or I could lose my job or be imprisioned. So much for "Bus Drivers"

Read more: Revealed: Qantas pilots paid more than Prime Minister Julia Gillard | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/business/qantas-pilots-on-high-flying-wages/story-e6frfm1i-1226165387483#ixzz1b4dDjwQ8)

That is complete bulls***. You are just making your situation more worse off than it is by trying to differentiate your position through those means.

You are not required to have an IQ in the top 5%, nor have verbal comprehension as to a standard of law graduates (and funny how he makes a spelling mistake soon after).

aerobatologist
17th Oct 2011, 21:29
Clearly spelling and grammar aren't requirements for "real pilots" :*

Torres
17th Oct 2011, 21:29
Or conversely, is the current Prime Minister worth $366,000 per annum plus the very significant pay increase she is about to receive?

With her demonstrated decision making skills I hope she never gets a pilot license!

Neville Nobody
17th Oct 2011, 22:12
Hero, your post makes sense till you read most of the posts on prune. It's clear most think they are gifted, highly skilled, very intelligent and "Special" individuals. I don't include mesef in that catergory :8

JMEN
17th Oct 2011, 23:59
Off topic but in the article.

What a fabulous first impression that Australia makes on international arrivals. Oz customs is bad enough without striking adding more delays.

"Meanwhile, the Transport Workers Union yesterday confirmed Qantas ground crews would participate in work stoppages at all major airports today, including Sydney, from 6-8am and 4-6pm.
Customs officers announced late yesterday they were striking at all major airports, with stoppages from 7-8am, 9-10am and 7-9pm in"

So what was Syd/ Melb like this morning? Kaos? 2 hour wait. Oh but thats ok cause the very friendly officer you get after the wait makes it all worth while :yuk: .

jack diamond
20th Oct 2011, 01:47
Wunst i cooldnt spill piilot now i har wun!
JD

Metro man
21st Oct 2011, 04:22
Some pilots have become Prime Ministers, Rajiv Gandhi was an Indian Airlines pilot before becoming PM in 1984. Former Rhodesian PM Ian Smith flew Spitfires in WW2.

How many former Prime Ministers have gone on to become airline pilots ?;)

gupta
21st Oct 2011, 05:57
Don't forget our own John Gorton - he flew Spitfires, Hurricanes and Kittyhawks

Al Fentanyl
21st Oct 2011, 07:48
How many politicians, PM or otherwise have actually WORKED for a living? Not counting the self-righteous twits who think that poncing around in the halls of power is actually WORKING.

Love hearing from these w@nkers about how they 'understand' the 'man on the street' or 'the man on the land' or - gods help us - the 'battlers'.

School, Uni for a law major and a polisci minor, straight into a political internship or a union 'secretary' gig, line up pre-selection with the party most likely to let em in, for a seat least likely to be strongly contested, score a mindless do-nothing backbench spot for a couple of useless terms then if really clever a front-bench minister of sod-all; retire at 35 or so with snout firmly wedged in the public trough.:mad::yuk:

illusion
21st Oct 2011, 08:41
Some of the best airline pilots around grew up on a farm and left school at 15. Something to do with common dogf##k and being used to operating machinery.

Checkboard
21st Oct 2011, 09:39
When I was an FO flying for Ansett, one overnight in Cairns I met Bill O'Chee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_O%27Chee), then a senator for Queensland, and he had a whinge to me about how I was paid more than he was (which was, just, true in yearly wage terms).

HOWEVER - he was a senator for just 6 years - and "retired" at age 33 with a tax-payer funded, guaranteed a life long, non asset tested pension of nearly $50,000 a year. :*

With pollies - it's all about the perks, not the pay. :hmm:

FinallyTheTruth
21st Oct 2011, 11:55
How many politicians, PM or otherwise have actually WORKED for a living? Can't speak for all of them but the PM was a lawyer. Mainly dealing in employment law for pretty poor workers like cleaners.

When I was an FO flying for Ansett, one overnight in Cairns I met Bill O'Chee, ...

HOWEVER - he was a senator for just 6 years - and "retired" at age 33 with a tax-payer funded, guaranteed a life long, non asset tested pension of nearly $50,000 a year.

With pollies - it's all about the perks, not the pay. This used to be the case but Howard took away the pollies super scheme (Latham shamed him into it - a mistake I think but that's a another story). Unless they've been there a while and were in before the changes they're on the same super scheme as all other public servants.

I don't want my politicians paid badly - I want people who are actually good who want to do the job. Imagine if we paid enough to have top 100 CEOs as our Ministers or highly successful sportspeople or any real experts in their fields, the kind of people we'd get?

By the same token, I want the guy up the front of the 737 I spend a lot of time in to get paid for his or her level of responsibility, which is huge. And at the moment that sure ain't happening either.

A37575
21st Oct 2011, 13:14
By the same token, I want the guy up the front of the 737 I spend a lot of time in to get paid for his or her level of responsibility, which is huge. And at the moment that sure ain't happening either.

Oh what a terrible shame..- only getting 230K a year on average for 737. "For his/her level of responsibility" should be getting a absolute minimum of $500K plus perks:ok:

AnQrKa
21st Oct 2011, 14:39
The debate should not be about how much QF pilots are paid but how much more they are paid than others doing exactly the same job.

There are many other airlines in the country and the region where pilots earn half of a QF salary and do the same job with the same responsibilities.

Why the disparity?

206greaser
21st Oct 2011, 15:06
Sure. Like who? No it all.

Arnold E
21st Oct 2011, 22:52
No it all.

Shouldn't that be "Know it all" ?:cool:

Captain Dart
22nd Oct 2011, 00:42
'Why the disparity' AnQrKa? Because you get what you NEGOTIATE!

VH-FTS
22nd Oct 2011, 02:17
'Why the disparity' AnQrKa? Because you get what you NEGOTIATE!

You guys had an 80 year advantage over the folks in red (well, off-white these days) to negotiate better pay. Ok, they didn't have unions back when crossing the outback in singles was the way to go, but you get the idea. Other airlines can't suddently negotiate a 200% pay rise because they are good negotiators - it takes a long time to build to the level the legacy airline pilots enjoy.

Like it or not, many (not all) QF pilots understand they are overpaid and are fighting to protect the lifestyle they enjoy. I would too. But come on, the amount of money a SO gets to sit in the back - no wonder Joyce is fighting you. I don't agree with the way he has gone about it, or most of his strategies, but most of you need a reality check!

Don't start the crap about you get what you negotiate. Your pay rates come from an era where air travel was more exclusive and expensive, and not enjoyed by the bogans that frequent JQ these days. Since then you've negotiated slight pay increases to enjoy the salary you enjoy today.

Now, time to find the marshmellows...

Anthill
22nd Oct 2011, 04:20
FTS, I don't see that QF pilots are overpaid. The nature of the job is taxing by any measure. How many jobs expect the crew to be availbale to be rostered away from home 24/7/365? In the last 21 years, I have had 7 Christmas's at home and I had to fly on 2 of these, which took the enjoyment out of the day. How many birthdays, dance recitals, award nights, sporting finals, first day at school, wedding anniversaries etc, etc ect do pilots miss out on during their career? We also must retire if we lose our medical certificate. We die younger. How can we be compensated for these factors. Oh yes, we also sit on about $1,000,000,000+ of liability if we crash. No to mention the lives of anywhere up to 560 people. If we worked at a business that was worth this much and employed the same number of people, how much would the CEO, the COO and the GM earn. let me guess: CEO ~ $600K+, the COO ~ $400K+ and the GM ~ $250K+ ??

I recon that the QF pilots are about on 'market' rates for their efforts :ok:

romeocharlie
22nd Oct 2011, 05:55
The Qantas CEO earns more than Julia too. As do some of the miners in Australia. It's not exactly a high paid job.

VH-FTS
22nd Oct 2011, 06:35
Anthill, sorry, your post is another example of pilots embarassing themselves, this time on pprune. Should we cue the violin strings for you?

Your comments are exactly why many pilots have little time for the QF skygods. Sorry bud, but your description of 24/7/365, health, lifestyle etc. matches that of pretty much every other professional pilot. You're nothing special.

I don't want to see your jobs, or any Aussie jobs, go overseas. But don't pretend for one minute that you are all being paid market rates, or not overpaid. If I, like many other pilots, have these views, no wonder your typical Sunrise bogan latches on to every story about pilot pay rates with disgust.

Also, is a QF second officer worth more per annum than a QLink captain? I think not. For those pilots who will argue they worked hard to get into their high paying QF gig, you have not done anything different to the boys and girls earning considerably less at Virgin, Jetstar, Skywest etc etc. You're not blessed with an uncanny ability to pilot an aircraft, the only difference is the time you started your aviation career. Unfortunately long gone are the days of being able to pay pilots big bucks. Blame whoever you want, the Labour party, globalisation, the internet, the Chinese, but it's 2011. Wake up and smell the coffee. Adapt or you'll perish.

Please don't pretend you're better, or harder done by, than everyone else.

Aussie
22nd Oct 2011, 07:37
I think if you got good T&Cs, fight it all the way to try and keep it... Your only worth as much as the employer will pay you... Go for it and try maintain the good conditions... once they go, there gone. :ok:

Anthill
22nd Oct 2011, 08:23
FTS-- I don't work for Qantas. I work for the other crowd :ok:

If you really are a Pilot, then wtf are you doing argueing for lower wages??

Yep, done my time in regionals and overseas. Never paid for a type rating either. If you are a Pilot then you are perhaps a little bit ignorant of the demands on home-life that long-haul entails. Regional and domestic flying doesn't screw with you home life like flying to the other side of the planet does.

Sure, a DH8 or F50 pilot flies in and out of the crap. A QF SO is miles from home when there is an home emergency. Ever been 6500 NM from home and had to deal with the fact that your son was admitted to hospital in a critical condition 2 hours after you took off? Only discovering this fact after you reached the hotel? Or that one of your in-laws passed away and that there is no way that you can comfort your wife for another 48 hours?

Domestic or regional drivers can be home in an emergency in a few short hours. The stuffing around that QF LH get deserves recompence for being screwed around. Sure, your DH8 captain works hard for their money but a salary should also have a 'stuff-around' component as well.

I am disappointed to have to explain this to you but clearly, you just have no idea :(.

VH-FTS
22nd Oct 2011, 12:40
My argument has never been for lower wages and you know that. It's for certain pilots to turn it down a notch - they're not as important as they think they are. If you work for the other mob then my gripe isn't with you.

Back to the earlier posts, the comparisons PM pay are irrelevant. A number of measures were taken a long time ago to keep politician salaries low, and conditions in general, low. If it was private sector, Gil-liar would be on significantly more given the size of her organisation. Whether she's worth any of it is a different matter. Must have been a slow news day when they published that article.

AnQrKa
23rd Oct 2011, 18:31
Dart,

“Because you get what you NEGOTIATE!”

True, to some extent, although such a view is an admission that you don’t “get what you are worth”.

But in your case, unless you have served QF for about 50 years then you are getting largely what you inherited.

The weak senior management at QF is responsible for accommodating the ransom demands of the pilot group for years.

But now it appears that there is a new sheriff in town.

Anthill,

Great sob story. But ALL of those issues apply to the opposition as well. It’s the nature of the job; these lifestyle impacts are not unique to QF.

baswell
23rd Oct 2011, 20:46
An interesting take on why the big difference between in pay new hires and captains at airlines: Unions and Airlines (http://philip.greenspun.com/flying/unions-and-airlines)

Money quote:
The answer is to look at who controls the pilot's union: very senior pilots. The airline management is mostly interested in what percentage of its revenues are paid out to pilots; the distribution of the money among the pilots does not affect profitability. The very senior pilots on the other side of the table say "We need the most senior pilots to get $300,000 in pay and benefits." The airline's response is "The only way that could work is if we pay the new pilots $16,000 per year." The group of senior pilots responds "We can live with that."

Hey, if you can negotiate it, good on ya! But don't come bitchin' to me if the airline can't afford you anymore, you are unwilling to budge and get made redundant...

One question for Anthill, though: if the "available 24/7/365", missing birthdays, recitals, christmas and anniversaries and effects on health of long haul travel, then why are the hosties not on 6 figures+?

Angle of Attack
23rd Oct 2011, 21:54
One question for Anthill, though: if the "available 24/7/365", missing birthdays, recitals, christmas and anniversaries and effects on health of long haul travel, then why are the hosties not on 6 figures+?

Lol some of them Are!

I am not going to get in the pay arguments but I agree for me anyway longhaul sucks, you feel crappy and it really stuffs around your life outside work. But for some others they dont mind it. I did it for a bit but am much happier in regional/domestic. Being away from home about 15-17 days a month wears thin after a while.

Lex Talionis
23rd Oct 2011, 22:31
then why are the hosties not on 6 figures+?
Lol some of them Are!

We've all seen the media embellishments regarding the amounts that pilots are paid but to suggest that some cabin crew are earning 6 figures is up there with the best.
A QF SO is miles from home when there is an home emergency. Ever been 6500 NM from home and had to deal with the fact that your son was admitted to hospital in a critical condition 2 hours after you took off? Only discovering this fact after you reached the hotel? Or that one of your in-laws passed away and that there is no way that you can comfort your wife for another 48 hours?

Long haul crew are not paid for the inconvenience of being further away from home than regional crew.If that was the case then anyone who is away from home with their job could argue the same point.Everyone from truck drivers to sales reps would be putting in a pay claim.

Anthill
23rd Oct 2011, 23:00
Baswell, I agree that Hosties should get renumerated for being absent from home for much of their career. In the past, this was the case. Recent contacts are eroding this. I understand that there exists a profound difference in pay for CC in QF. Why this occurs is that the companies have managed to find CC who will do it for less-and often based in other countries.

You have also hit the nail on the head with your assessment
as to who is responsible for the decline pay for pilots. The first B scales were introduced during the late 60's early 70's. The companies that kicked this practice off were United and American. The interesting part was that many employee groups voted up the B scale for new hires, not just pilots.

It will be interesting to see what 'demographic' wins in the forthcoming Virgin Australia Short Haul EBA. Already some are rationalising that "there must be winners and losers in the EBA process". How can there ever be industrial solidarity if there are those who have a blatant win over others who lose?

Psalms ancient and modern, really.:rolleyes:

Anthill
23rd Oct 2011, 23:02
If that was the case then anyone who is away from home with their job could argue the same point.Everyone from truck drivers to sales reps would be putting in a pay claim.

Tex, most industries do.

baswell
24th Oct 2011, 01:17
I guess the issue is: there are a lot of people making a lot of money at Qantas and it is alleged that is not sustainable.

Arguments about how this is in line with tiny number of foreign carriers that receive way too much financial support from their governments are not realistic.

Making up stuff about how much safer QF is than anyone else when there is no statistically significant difference in past performance (which is not a guide for the future anyhow) also doesn't help with being taken seriously; it is clutching at straws.

I think QF can do a lot more to try and be more profitable, but you can't deny staff renumeration needs to be looked at. Half a million for a day job that also comes with great security and generous pension is a lot of money.

Qantas should be able to keep basing its operations out of Australia, but at some point, something's got to give and if foreign competition is willing to work for less, you are better off taking, say, 75% of what you have now instead of holding on to 100% of what will become nothing...

And please divide $5M by 33,000 employees before making any irrelevant comment about CEO salary.

Metro man
24th Oct 2011, 01:21
If nobody ever left except through death or retirement, and there were plenty of suitable applicants for every available position, then it could be argued by management that the terms and conditions were too generous.

Similarly if people left as soon as another job became available, and there was a shortage of suitable applicants, then it could be argued by the unions that the terms and conditions weren't good enough.

A certain amount of turnover is good, leading to quicker promotion into higher paying grades. The problem for QANTAS is that there are no other major international airlines in Australia with comparable terms and conditions for pilots. Executives may move on to Telcos/Banks/Mining/Retail/Government etc and employers in these fields can bench mark against what similar jobs pay.

A QF 744 Captain looking to move on is going to have to go abroad and unless he is prepared to go back in the right hand seat, is looking at contract work or a less desirable employer/location. So why move if he can't become a BA or United Airlines skipper ?

This makes terms and conditions difficult to set. Domestically the competition is only Virgin who are drawing from the same pool of applicants with similar expectations. Virgin pay less but time to upgrade is quicker, direct entry F/O vs five years in the jump seat.

Internationally things are different with the likes of SQ and EK having far greater control of their costs by being able to source staff world wide and little if any union presence. A checkout operator in Woolworth is comparable to one in Coles as both companies can only employ locals, unfortunately an Australian textile worker is comparable to one in China or Indonesia therefore there is no more local textile industry.

Assuming the top figure quoted in the media of $536,221 is for the Chief Pilot, this amount wouldn't get many similar level managers in other industries with comparable years of experience/responsibility and skill interested. He may very well be underpaid.

Even the low figure of $126,313 for an A330 S/O is about what a dump truck driver on the mines makes.

It's going to be very difficult to pay the pilots what they are worth and remain competitive now that the airline has been run into the ground.

baswell
24th Oct 2011, 01:48
Even the low figure of $126,313 for an A330 S/O is about what a dump truck driver on the mines makes.
Keep in mind that that is all the dump truck driver will ever get paid, there is no path to being a "dump truck captain" and with the environment they work in and sacrifices being made to personal life, many don't do it for 30 years. It's a long way from pressed uniforms, fancy restaurants and 5 star hotels...

So although people often make it, it is not a relevant comparison in my opinion.

At the same time, the SO salary isn't the problem either I don't think. By the time most get there these days, they have already paid their dues in the military (free training comes with a lot of **** to put up with) or flown the grey army around Lake Eyre after shelling out up to $100K of their own money to get to that stage. Plus they have to put up with the frustration of not actually flying an airplane for all those years they are SO! :D

It would be interesting to see just how many pilots in QF at which pay level.