PDA

View Full Version : I need a flying 707. Seriously.

stepwilk
17th Oct 2011, 18:15
The U.S.NBC TV show "Pan Am" called and asked if I could help them find a flying 707 for use in the U. S. to pretend to be flying into Port au Prince. They'll find an airport somewhere in the U. S. that can stand in for Haiti, but they need the airplane at FRG, on Long Island, by the end of next week. (That's how television works...)

No, John Travolta's airplane won't work, they've already looked into that; it's too highly modified to be a stand-in for a 1960s airliner.

And yes, I know there's probably no such thing as an FAA-legal 707.

I'll also post this in History & Nostalgia.

stepwilk
17th Oct 2011, 18:17
The U.S.NBC TV show "Pan Am" called and asked if I could help them find a flying 707 for use in the U. S. to pretend to be flying into Port au Prince. They'll find an airport somewhere in the U. S. that can stand in for Haiti, but they need the airplane at FRG, on Long Island, by the end of next week. (That's how television works...)

No, John Travolta's airplane won't work, they've already looked into that; it's too highly modified to be a stand-in for a 1960s airliner.

And yes, I know there's probably no such thing as an FAA-legal 707.

oreny
17th Oct 2011, 18:32
you may want to contact an air force that is still using the 707 in servisable condition. for a good donation and proper PR it may work. try the israeli air force etc.

kbrockman
17th Oct 2011, 18:34
I think your best bet would be to get your hands on one of the many
converted tankers that are still in good flying conditions and are currently quickly fased out in many militaries.
E.g. an old RAAF tanker, ex Chili air force tanker, maybe an ex Israeli bird.
Also they do carry windows sometimes IIRC, so that would certainly add to realism.

Or how about leasing one of SAHA air's 707's, provided you can get the paperwork done between the US and IRAN, that's gonna be more difficult ,I
would guess.

uffington sb
17th Oct 2011, 18:52
Has John Travolta still the Qantas one?

Capetonian
17th Oct 2011, 19:06
I am surprised to be the first cynic to point out that most viewers barely know the difference between a 737 and a 747, which leads me to suggest that if you can't get a 707, you might consider a DC8 or a Convair 880/990 as they are visually similar enough to fool 90% of viewers. Whether or not you will find one airworthy is another question which I can't answer, but I do know that there were a couple of the Convairs parked up at Bisho for a few years. At least one of them was turned into a restaurant.

con-pilot
17th Oct 2011, 19:07
If there are any still flying 707s, and I truly believe that there are, find somebody at the Miami International Airport (MIA) because that is where they will most likely be. However, I am also sure that they have been modified the same as John Travolta's 707.

A lot of 707s were modified at the Santa Barabara (SBA) Airport to comply with FAA regulations. You might contact some one there, I cannot find the name of the company that does the modifications.

Good luck.

One more thing, a bit off topic, but tell the producers that when they have Navy pilots in uniform on the program, make sure they wear Naval Aviator wings on their uniforms. A pretty bad omission for a show that has done a very decent job of period accuracy so far.

skytrain10
17th Oct 2011, 19:09
Hi stepwilk, I may be wrong but I think the Lowa Inc 707-330B is still current - or at least it is according to the FAA on line register. Check out N88ZL. Unfortunately you can't avoid the Chapter 3 hush-kits!
Cheers Ken

alemaobaiano
17th Oct 2011, 19:24
Well the Força Aérea Brasileira has 4 KC-137 (-320Cs) still flying, and they are regular visitors to the real Port au Prince in support of the UN mission there.

However your timeframe is probably a little too tight even if they were willing to play ball.

Good luck

epreye
17th Oct 2011, 19:46
Stepwilk, try Omega, they may have one free to fit your schedule: Omega Aerial Refueling Services Inc. (http://www.omegaairrefueling.com)

Mike-Bracknell
17th Oct 2011, 20:28
Charter price is $12,000 per hour (wet) or...

What's the betting the tv company think this sort of thing happens for free, just for the kudos of getting your 707 on the telly, and they won't have budgeted for $12k/hr? (or even $12/hr)

rotornut
17th Oct 2011, 20:33
Trade-a-Plane?

D120A
17th Oct 2011, 20:46
USAF might be persuaded to remove the boom and re-spray a KC-135, provided NBC promised to under-write about half of next year's USAF budget.

Surely, for NBC, a matter of the utmost ease and triviality.;)

11Fan
17th Oct 2011, 20:51
What's the betting the tv company think this sort of thing happens for free,

As much as they blew on the advertising, this is chump change.

lomapaseo
17th Oct 2011, 21:12
With all the stock footage that's been taken over the years, why can't they just photoshop some of of that in?

Sir George Cayley
17th Oct 2011, 21:20
OK some sensible suggestions - but only for the exterior which I think isn't your problem

Omega Air Tankers
SAHA Air Iran
Spanish Air Force
Colombian Air Force
Brazilian Air Force
NATO Luxembourg (they have ones without the radar)

If its the interior you need then there are many museum 707s which might do.

Lastly, I can't see the problem with JT's 707. Most US TV shows people boarding a Lear Jet but once in the air getting up and walking around and then getting out of a Gulfstream at the other end. What's their problem?

SGC

N707ZS
17th Oct 2011, 22:15
N88ZL has everything you want even stage three hush kits.

cwatters
17th Oct 2011, 22:17
Google suggests plane spotters wanting a flight in a 707 used to go to Iran.

cwatters
17th Oct 2011, 22:26
Boeing 707 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_707)

as of March 2011, 43 aircraft were in use mainly with air cargo operators and air forces in Africa, Middle East, and South America. Commercial operators of the Boeing 707 include Saha Airline, BETA Cargo, Enterprise World Airways, Libyan Airlines, Mid Express Tchad, Hewa Bora Airways, and some other users with mostly stored aircraft. The Romanian Government uses a 707-320C as a Presidential Aircraft, being operated by Romavia.[citation needed] American actor John Travolta owns, and is qualified to fly as second in command, an ex-Qantas 707-138B, registration N707JT.

This lot list a 707..

Aircraft (http://www.boeingbbj.com/html/our_fleet.html)
but perhaps thats JT's?

One in the middle east?..
Boeing B707 cargo aircraft facts (http://www.aircharter.co.uk/aircraft/b707_boeing.htm)

FlamantRose
17th Oct 2011, 22:36
How about contacting Boeing directly. Surely they would know if there is still one possibly flying somewhere.

dss3000
17th Oct 2011, 22:42
Try Calling Pratt and Whitney they operate a 720 in Toronto as an engine test bed. If it works out you can send me a commission, lol

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

737bomar
17th Oct 2011, 22:42
The Faa has one in ABQ Check in SAT every time I'm there I see one across the field
also Boeing 707 for sale by Alnafay Corp from 1968 (http://www.aviatorsale.com/aix8533/)

By the way if you pick one of my choices, I'd love to ride along Really no mater where you find one I'd love to ride along....

Fris B. Fairing
18th Oct 2011, 00:34
Omega Air would be a good bet. They are currently preparing the 3 ex-RAAF 707-338C tankers for a ferry from Australia to the US.

skytrain10
18th Oct 2011, 07:36
Incidentally, the one that was offered by Humes McCoy is N88ZL. I see there are a couple of other companies offering it as well!

Certainly from my own experience TV companies would expect to pay serious money for the use of aircraft, particularly if its in a flying sequence. However I cannot see them paying to have one flown in from overseas. The other issue of course with the surviving 707's is that many no longer have passenger windows! The Saha 707's are without doubt the most "original" but Iran is a long way and Saha are not permitted to land in the US, even if the distance issue were overcome.

Al E. Vator
19th Oct 2011, 03:58
I watched the first episode where at V1 the 2 pilots stopped everything, looked admiringly at each other and smiled. Yech!!

Still, I'm impressed they aren't using piston prop-liner engine noises when showing the 707!

Sir George Cayley
19th Oct 2011, 20:26
Why didn't anyone say it was the Muppet Show?

SGC

WHBM
22nd Oct 2011, 07:41
Maybe it's about time that television grew up then, and discovered proper planning and organisation, just like any other industry (and PARTICULARLY aviation) would do for any activity.

No, John Travolta's airplane won't work, they've already looked into that; it's too highly modified to be a stand-in for a 1960s airliner..
This makes me think that they are looking for interior shots of the cabin as much as externals - JT's 707 is as much pure 1960s externally as anything you will find, and even us lot would accept it, or maybe they said they were going to repaint one side in Pan Am colours and JT wouldn't do it (neither would I if fortunate enough to own one :) ), or his contractural arrangement with Qantas for the livery precludes it.

Art Smass
22nd Oct 2011, 08:44
I have read on another forum that Omega Air test flew all 3 ex RAAF 707 tankers at RAAF Richmond today - with departures to the US due tomorrow (2 aircraft) and Monday (the 3rd frame)

stepwilk
22nd Oct 2011, 13:00
Maybe it's about time that television grew up then, and discovered proper planning and organisation, just like any other industry (and PARTICULARLY aviation) would do for any activity.

Maybe it's about time you got a job in television and fixed it all up. Meanwhile, they seem to be doing okay without you.

I suspect the problem with the Travolta airplane has more to do with the cockpit than the cabin.

A30yoyo
22nd Oct 2011, 13:18
Maybe Travolta insisted on being Captain :)

stepwilk
22nd Oct 2011, 13:32
Funny thing is, as I've learned during this 707 chase, Travolta is only rated as a 707 F/O. He cannot fly without a type-rated and current 707 captain in the cockpit. I don't know whether that means he doesn't have a type rating, or an ATP, or what. I'm sure the professionals reading this can quickly figure out what it means, but he sort of exaggerates his capabilities in the various wristwatch ads he does, it seems...

skwinty
22nd Oct 2011, 14:04
He who pays the piper calls the tune.:ok:

SpringHeeledJack
23rd Oct 2011, 09:23
Having had the odd bit of experience with the film industry, it is true that many situations happen in real time, director decides a different angle is needed, or the envisaged shot doesn't work and so on. However, if it involves background artists, cars, trucks, motorbikes, or even buildings it is doable (most times), but in this case for the producers to either not have pre-planned said B707 into their shooting schedule way ahead of time or realise that said aircraft type is as rare as a hen's tooth these days, or for that matter last 20 years is plane :hmm: and simple bad business planning, especially considering the costs involved in film/TV production.

Realistic options ? 1) CGI mixed with museum steeds 2) Omega Air 3) USAF KC-135 4) N88ZL if not sold and with up to date airworthiness.

SHJ

MikeNYC
23rd Oct 2011, 13:47
Word has it that Travolta's 707 is coming into FRG today in Pan-Am colors...so perhaps that worked out after all?

SpringHeeledJack
23rd Oct 2011, 15:15
That will look good, I wonder if it will be staying in those evocative colours for very long after the filming ?

SHJ

A30yoyo
23rd Oct 2011, 17:26
Since Pan Am had 720Bs it shouldn't look too 'wrong' as it's a short-body 707-138B

stepwilk
23rd Oct 2011, 21:41
Travolta's 707 won't be arriving at FRG this afternoon. Mechanical issues. I don't know what they are, but that's what NBC's rep has told me. The producers might begin wishing they'd thought more than 20 minutes in advance when they learn what "mechanical issues" can involve on a 50-year-old airplane.

aviate1138
24th Oct 2011, 07:11
Stepwilk said...
"Travolta is only rated as a 707 F/O. He cannot fly without a type-rated and current 707 captain in the cockpit."

Funny that, as he came all the way from the planet Theta presumably by something a little faster than a 707. :rolleyes:

PS Thanks for your editorship of Flying and Car and Driver, Stepwilk.

sled dog
24th Oct 2011, 10:31
S G C , where do you get the idea that NATO has a 707 in Luxembourg ? All nato awacs are based at Geilenkirchen in Germany, albeit with LX-... reg nbrs as well as serial nbrs . They occasionally do continuation training at Findel , but not based there.

pax britanica
24th Oct 2011, 10:44
Hi
Is the show going to appear in UK anytime soon?

Also there seem to be more DC8s around why not use one of them. PanAm had both 707s and DC8s in 60s and early 70s and they look pretty much alike for the punters who will watch the trolley dolls more closely than the aircraft
PB

JanetFlight
25th Oct 2011, 20:10
Tombouctou Aviation Company-Executive flights-VIP flights-Head of States flights (http://tombouctou-aviation.com/#Aircraft)

Check out these guys...nice updated 707, with nice Romanian crew...saw them couple of years ago here in Portugal...a shiny and looking-new 707 as if was rolling out of the factory, on behalf of Mali Govnmt :ok:

A30yoyo
25th Oct 2011, 20:50
What's the Brand name of the Engine modifications (sound -deadening) on this 707 ?

MikeNYC
27th Oct 2011, 22:49
Looks like everything worked out:

http://a.yfrog.com/img875/5723/krudt.jpg

Mid-transformation:
http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com/Aviation/Airplanes-and-Spotting/Aviation-Photography/i-Bs5z4cc/0/L/N707JT06FRG26Oct2011Ramp-L.jpg

(photos from NYCAviation (http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads/36858-Republic-Farmingdale-(FRG)-Notable-Visitors/page153))

stepwilk
27th Oct 2011, 22:58
Wow, is that early-'60s Pan Am livery? (Not counting the tail.) I sure don't remember it looking like that...

MikeNYC
27th Oct 2011, 23:07
What's the Brand name of the Engine modifications (sound -deadening) on this 707 ?

I believe it's either BAC or Quiet Skies Inc. I found this STC (http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgstc.nsf/0/8C8D0CA2C7192937862578380072CBE2?OpenDocument) that I think is applicable. Some information points to BAC, other to Open Skies...perhaps it was a joint venture as both companies are in Burbank CA (BAC = Burbank Aeronautical Corp).

MikeNYC
27th Oct 2011, 23:13
Wow, is that early-'60s Pan Am livery? (Not counting the tail.) I sure don't remember it looking like that...

It bears a passing resemblance to this:
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7360/clipper63ax.jpg

Possibly they're not filming where the tail might be visible, or they just haven't wrapped it yet.

AdamFrisch
27th Oct 2011, 23:29
Actually, you don't need a type rating to fly F/O on any big jet under FAA regulations. The captain (PIC) is the only one that needs it. And if you're not getting paid, you can be co-pilot with a PPL as long as you have the right endorsements (high performance, high altitude, complex, turbine).

PIC Time: Part 61.51 or Part 1. What's the difference? (http://jet-jobs.com/articles/pic.html#typerequ)

WHBM
28th Oct 2011, 06:24
Yes it is, apart from that tail (was it painted later or were camera angles used to show the front only ?)

Pan Am changed their livery to this one just in time for the first 707 to arrive in 1958, although quite a lot of the piston fleet then got repainted into it as well. It lasted for about 10 years (so throughout the 1960s), when the change was made from PAN AMERICAN on the fuselage to PAN AM; the remainder stayed the same. The shortened name suited the 747 proportions better; Pan Am seem to have changed their livery for the arrival of each major new type, then repainted the older fleet to suit.

Which Clipper name have they used ?

A30yoyo
28th Oct 2011, 08:42
I think Travolta will wish he'd had it permanently painted in Pan Am colours :)

Groundloop
28th Oct 2011, 11:41
I think Travolta will wish he'd had it permanently painted in Pan Am colours

Why? He had a very good deal from QANTAS - including a free 747-400 type rating course!

grounded27
28th Oct 2011, 12:21
Having watched a few episodes I see they elected to use an aircraft with stage 3 hush kits. The turkey feathers are the only obvious faux pas I noticed in a vintage 707.

A30yoyo
28th Oct 2011, 14:15
Pan American Boeing 720B from flickrhttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2136/5734989002_87f772fdbd.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/40168621@N07/5734989002/)
Pan American World Airways (Pan Am) (1st) Boeing 720-023B N780PA (msn 18033) PHL (Bruce Drum) (historic photo) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/40168621@N07/5734989002/) by Airliners Gallery (http://www.flickr.com/people/40168621@N07/), on Flickr

spayne67
15th Nov 2011, 04:25
It might be too expensive, but couldn't Pan Am (ABC) get a KC-135E from the Air Force Bone Yard in Arizona?