PDA

View Full Version : AIB Service Knowledge

BlackJackJim
17th Oct 2011, 09:27
It would seem that the general Service Knowledge questions for AIB candidiates have become more and more detailed with Aircrew hopefuls being asked about Submarines and the RM Corps. Does anyone have any experienece of detailed questions on subjects other than the FAA whilst at the board?

Kreuger flap
17th Oct 2011, 09:39
I heard that one candidate was asked what they had for breakfast that morning and if he could tell where the bacon that he had consumed had come from a particular breed of pig. Pretty detailed if you ask me. Gloucester old spot for me this morning between two slices of bread.

Old-Duffer
17th Oct 2011, 09:41
I should jolly well hope so too! If you want to fly in the FAA, you are a naval officer first and an aviator second.

One purpose of the AIB is to determine the suitability of an individual across a fairly wide spectrum of qualities, not merely his enthusiasm to fly airplanes. A broad based knowledge of what goes on in the wider service is an illustration of a well prepared candidate with the right 'focus'.

Old Duffer

PS Remember, the correct answer to the question; 'what is the Taranto Night celebration all about'? - is not: 'I don't know why the navy wants to celebrate a victory over the Italians'!

Biggus
17th Oct 2011, 09:47
Would AIB be...

Allied Irish Banks
Association for International Broadcasting
AIB International (https://www.aibonline.org/)
Academy of International Business
Accident Investigation Branch

...too many TLAs.

Still, I suppose if you have to ask.....

Good luck with it anyway! :ok:

Wensleydale
17th Oct 2011, 09:53
PS Remember, the correct answer to the question; 'what is the Taranto Night celebration all about'? - is not: 'I don't know why the navy wants to celebrate a victory over the Italians'!

Flying out of Geilenkirchen on 5 Nov many years ago, I was asked by a self important Italian officer why the airfield was closed for a few hours that night because of activity at the British Housing. I explained that every 5 November, the British celebrate the saving of Royalty, by setting off fireworks and burning the effigy of a Catholic - it was a historical thing. He kept away from me for a few days after that...... a small victory in itself.

FODPlod
17th Oct 2011, 10:51
When I was asked at my AIB why I wanted to join the Royal Navy, I wish I'd had the presence of mind to say "All the right reasons, Sir." It would have saved us all a lot of time.

My biggest disappointment came when the AIB President asked me if I'd press the nuclear button and then wouldn't let me.

Pontius Navigator
17th Oct 2011, 13:21
As the Services get smaller and smaller so there is more brainscope for knowing more about less :)

When I joined the RAF it had over 100,000 more personnel than it will end up with soon. There were more aircraft types in service than we have sqns now. There were bases all around the world in many places most people had never heard of. There were more RAF 'Air Forces' than we have groups now. I answer the same number of questions means the question base would be correspondingly broad but consequently shallow.

The RN also has a unique situation was you would both work and play in a very confined space often for weeks or months on end. You must both fit in with and have something to contribute to the social life onboard as well as purely professional knowledge.

Jimlad1
17th Oct 2011, 16:47
If you were to go lurk at Rum Ration, you'll find where this sort of thing is discussed ad naseum on the forum. Link not provided, as you should be able to motivate yourself to find it!

Seriously though, do the same research as you would do for any graduate employer - the website is a good baseline of knowledge for any candidate.

I fail to understand why people get so worked up about the service knowledge test - its a tiny proportion of a 3 day assessment which is looking at your potential to LEAD. Its not rocket science, just some very basic revision work.