PDA

View Full Version : A 330 BSCU RESET

JABBARA
16th Oct 2011, 19:25
Airbus sometimes becomes too confusing.

Yes, English is not my native Language, however, even Native speakers cannot comment about this clearly:

Extracted from A 330FCOM PRO-SUP-32 P 1/4 (new) or 3.04.31 P1 (old)

BSCU RESET
A reset of the BSCU is only authorized on ground for :
‐ WHEEL N/W STRG FAULT. This is to go back to the gate for troubleshooting. Taxi with care, at a taxi speed of 10 kt maximum.
‐ BRAKES RESIDUAL BRAKING.

The BSCU reset should be performed on ground, with the aircraft stopped, and the parking brake applied. Switch the A/SKID & N/W STRG selector OFF then ON. Then, check the braking efficiency of the normal braking system, as soon as the aircraft starts moving again (the aircraft must slow down when pressing the brake pedals). After resetting one of these two failures, a record in the logbook is mandatory to ensure that troubleshooting is systematically done, in order to investigate the failure before the next flight.

Scenario is simple: During Taxi Out, one of them is displayed on ECAM. BSCU is resetted, and ECAM disapppeared. What should I do next?

IMHO: In these cases, BSCU reset only gives you a chance to taxi back to the gate rather than asking the tow truck to be pulled away. Continuing to flight is not an option.

I appreciate any contribution

CONF iture
17th Oct 2011, 03:13
Interesting.

According to MEL, WHEEL N/W STRG FAULT is NO DISPATCH.
I don't see BRAKES RESIDUAL BRAKING in the MEL but according to FCOM 3 02 32 that ECAM message may be spurious. If a BSCU reset clears the message ... then I would proceed for the flight. Now if it happen at the base, probably a good call to advise the maintenance before leaving.

9.G
17th Oct 2011, 03:34
that's what it says right there, go back if it's for ‐ WHEEL N/W STRG FAULT. :ok:

JABBARA
17th Oct 2011, 03:57
Conf itrue & 9.g
Thank you for replies,

After BSCU reset if ECAM does not clear, decision is EASY; answer is NO GO

However:
Obviously WHEEL N/W STRG FAULT is a NO DISPATCH fault. My question is, "After BSCU reset even if ECAM completely clears, does that text imply, still we should go back to the gate?"

Similiarly, for BRAKES RESIDUAL BRAKING -as it may be spurious-, after BSCU reset even if ECAM completely clears, does that text (a record in the logbook is mandatory....before the next flight ) imply, still we should go back to the gate?

Thanks

9.G
17th Oct 2011, 11:54
IMHO: In these cases, BSCU reset only gives you a chance to taxi back to the gate rather than asking the tow truck to be pulled away. Continuing to flight is not an option. I thought you answered your own question.:ok:

With a modification of the N/WS Disconnect/Reconnect Control Logic of BSCU. The N/WS function cannot be recovered by Towing lever operation without Parking Brake pressure set, after A/C Towing. That's the only time when the reset can be done and flight safely dispatched, if recovered. :ok:

CONF iture
17th Oct 2011, 13:28
Similiarly, for BRAKES RESIDUAL BRAKING -as it may be spurious-, after BSCU reset even if ECAM completely clears, does that text (a record in the logbook is mandatory....before the next flight ) imply, still we should go back to the gate?
Then, it is a question of definition.
As the event takes place during the taxi out, the 'flight' has already begun (even if not airborne yet). IMO the 'next flight' has to be considered after the present one is completed.

But it is confusing, information should be made available in a more friendly way.
To properly deal with such ECAM, one need to open :

QRH
FCOM
MEL

Nose Wheel Steering is FBW too ...

What I think and would apply :

Conclusive BSCU reset after WHEEL N/W STRG FAULT allows to taxi back to the gate.
Conclusive BSCU reset after BRAKES RESIDUAL BRAKING allows to take off.

JABBARA
17th Oct 2011, 13:46
Conf itrue and 9.G
I appreciate your kind answers gentlemen.

A wilder question is in the queue, but I am going vacation now...

Best regards