PDA

View Full Version : how close is navigation exam to Bristol Question Bank?

alexterjanian
16th Oct 2011, 11:27
i would like to know how close are the nav exams to bristol question bank questions?

leeds 65
16th Oct 2011, 11:52
Yes it is good however I found it to be the toughest exam.I passed but I think it was one of my lowest marks.

I found that they changed figures but the method is the same. Obviously for all the definitions and stuff bristol was great.

Loads of wind drift,speed questions using that swivel thing. Bit of trigonometry too. You do need to know the method, and be really good at that swivel thing for the wind etc.

If you know the q bank well - that should be enough.

stupix
19th Oct 2011, 21:12
make sure you practice a lot doing the amount of questions in the time allotted as its the only exam where i nearly ran out of time and others in the sitting did run out of time.

B767PL
20th Oct 2011, 10:48
General Navigation for me is a huge pain. On my second try now, first time around I failed by 2 points because I ran out of time with 10 questions unanswered for which I had to guess on. . . no luck.

Find out what question bank you are using. Bristol does not have the CQB15, while Aviation Exam claims to have it, and with what I am seeing and feedback from others who have taken the test, it seems they do have many of the questions that are popping up in the CQB15 exams. So if your country uses CQB15 for exams, I would recommend Aviation Exam over Bristol.. even maybe without it given the depth of information, and feedback given with Aviation Exam. Bristol is pretty bare-bone for the General Navigation exam. However for everything else it was fine.

Teddy Robinson
20th Oct 2011, 11:02
Try to understand the subject, rather than learn the questions .. then do some tactical planning regarding time management for the exam.

alexterjanian
20th Oct 2011, 15:27
well i will have 1 month to study only Navigation and do the exam. i do know the methods already except convergency and departures.. etc.. but ill hav to concentrate on these:p ill do practice exams day and night:p

RichardH
20th Oct 2011, 16:10
As Teddy R says you must know your subject. I warn students time and time again it is not a remember the database exam, unlike Air Bore, HPL as it is so easy to change the parameters/numbers. Learning answers for GN practical questions is asking for a fail.

You MUST be able to use a CRP-5/Whiz-wheel with confidence, accuracy and speed, if you can't then you are wasting your time & money sitting the exam as you shall fail, due to lack of skills and then lack of time.

Convergency & departure does cause students problems for various reasons but there might only be a couple of 1 mark questions on each. I have heard of students spending hours getting frustrated with cgy & dep but they can't use a whiz-wheel. You need to manage your time and concentrate your efforts accordingly. Your course provider has a duty to cover the syllabus but should tell you where to concentrate your efforts.

Also as suggested above make sure you practise doing questions under examination conditions you are likely to get a nasty shock the first time!

proflightyoke
20th Oct 2011, 21:58
This is one of those exams that you have to know what you are doing. I learnt the subject so i finished in 30 mins and got 100% another chap was convinced he was going to fail and so he resorted to learning questions and answers parrot fashion and he scored 98%.

All the questions on my paper last November were straight from the question bank, even the values were the same.

My advice, learn it ( the subject and the database), pass it and forget it. It's been a year since i finished my exams and i can't remember a thing!

Good luck.

763 jock
20th Oct 2011, 22:32
Ahh the CRP-5....

I binned mine in '89 and have never seen one in a crew room or flight deck since.
I cannot believe that the CAA still insist on this antique rubbish, they should be ashamed of themselves.

I suspect that most current ATPL/Airline Pilots (myself included) would fail the exam miserably. However, you can't argue with tradition. Those NDB approaches and holds are sure to make a comeback......

Anyone remember Decca? :*

CAT3C AUTOLAND
20th Oct 2011, 22:58
Couldn't agree more with Teddy and Richard, you must have a thorough understanding of the subject matter, and be able to apply it to the questions, then you will not have a problem will you! :ugh:.

Dont have this lazy attitude, any moron can learn the answers to questions, being proactive and working hard will put you in a good position for the future.