PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft leasing

SFly
17th Mar 2001, 01:36
I never understood the airline's motives with aircraft leasing. I can understand the initial need for it . . . startups don't have the money, etc. But after a certain amount of time, doesn't the aircraft reimburse the operator? I think airlines should get a sort of rent-to-own type thing going on with the lease companies . . . instead of going into sticky things like lease expiry, replacement, and still paying rent on something when you have exceeded it's original cost if it were yours.

Complicated, but does anybody see my point here? Or am I missing something? Throw some light on this one here, please! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

SFly

Pdub
17th Mar 2001, 06:56
Could it be something as simple as a "lease to own" contract would have to be carried as a debt on the balance sheet?

BIK_116.80
17th Mar 2001, 18:33
There are a great many reasons why airlines choose to lease aircraft. Aircraft leasing is a growing industry.

To put it in perspective, near enough 50% of British Airways fleet is leased. So why would a self-proclaimed world-class former flag carrier choose to do this?

The reasons are many and complex but include : tax law, greater ability to fix costs, lower cost financing, lower gearing ratios, ability to show a greater return on capital invested, very favourable purchasing terms able to be achieved by the leasing companies etc etc.

It works, and it works very well.