PDA

View Full Version : Throwing rose petals out of a R44

Soave_Pilot
15th Oct 2011, 18:46
Just wondering if that's a safe operation?

It would be on a out of ground hover.

ShyTorque
15th Oct 2011, 18:53
Better read this first:

Dropping of articles and animals
129 (1) Articles and animals (whether or not attached to a parachute) must not be dropped,
or permitted to drop, from an aircraft in flight so as to endanger persons or property.
(2) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), articles and animals (whether or not attached to a
parachute) must not be dropped, or permitted to drop, to the surface from an aircraft
flying over the United Kingdom except under and in accordance with the terms of an
aerial application certificate granted under article 131.
(3) Paragraph (2) does not apply to the dropping of articles by, or with the authority of,
the commander of the aircraft in any of the following circumstances:
(a) the dropping of articles for the purpose of saving life;
(b) the jettisoning, in case of emergency, of fuel or other articles in the aircraft;
(c) the dropping of ballast in the form of fine sand or water;
(d) the dropping of articles solely for the purpose of navigating the aircraft in
accordance with ordinary practice or with the provisions of this Order;
(e) the dropping at an aerodrome of tow ropes, banners, or similar articles towed by
aircraft;
(f) with the permission of the CAA, the dropping of articles for the purposes of
public health or as a measure against weather conditions, surface icing or oil
pollution, or for training for the dropping of articles for any such purposes; or
(g) with the permission of the CAA, the dropping of wind drift indicators for the
purpose of enabling parachute descents to be made.
14 April 2010
CAP 393 Air Navigation: The Order and the Regulations
Section 1 Part 17 Page 3
(4) Paragraph (2) does not apply to the lowering of any article or animal from a helicopter
to the surface, if:
(a) there is a certificate of airworthiness issued or rendered valid for the helicopter
under the law of the country in which it is registered; and
(b) that certificate or the flight manual for the helicopter includes an express
provision that it may be used for that purpose.
(5) In this article 'dropping' includes projecting and lowering.

This is UK but your local regs might read similar.

Soave_Pilot
15th Oct 2011, 19:14
Hello Shytorque,

I'm aware of the regs, but I was questioning about the R44 specifically, as I am afraid they would be sucked into the engine by the rear fan and that could lead to a engine compartment fire... Do you get my point?

Cheers

ShyTorque
15th Oct 2011, 19:35
as I am afraid they would be sucked into the engine by the rear fan and that could lead to a engine compartment fire... Do you get my point?

You are unlikely to find many pilots who have experience of throwing rose petals out of an R44 in an OGE hover.

787-1
15th Oct 2011, 19:40
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ngsLhWq7uJk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ngsLhWq7uJk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

R44 dropping confetti, I would say rose petals are less of a risk as they aren't dry.

chopjock
15th Oct 2011, 20:04
ShyT,
so according to your post,
Dropping of articles and animals
129 (1) Articles and animals (whether or not attached to a parachute) must not be dropped,
or permitted to drop, from an aircraft in flight so as to endanger persons or property.So it's ok then so long as there is no danger to persons or property.?

(2) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), articles and animals (whether or not attached to a
parachute) must not be dropped, or permitted to drop, to the surface from an aircraft
flying over the United Kingdom except under and in accordance with the terms of an
aerial application certificate granted under article 131.So it's still ok to drop articles or animals so long as they are not dropped together at the same time. :}

hillberg
15th Oct 2011, 23:22
Look at the R-44 crash video posted above,,,,You probably do the same.

ShyTorque
16th Oct 2011, 15:15
Chopjock, They aren't my rules. Try reading the ANO for yourself and make your own mind up about how you want to interpret them.

You can find it here:

CAP 393: Air Navigation: The Order and the Regulations | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=226)