PDA

View Full Version : Art Swain - RIP

bellboy
15th Oct 2011, 12:32
I read from the Bristow website that Art Swain has passed on. To all the long time Nigeria hands we will remember the impact that meeting Art had on us. His level of sartorial elegance and swamp chic will be missed.

212man
15th Oct 2011, 13:33
That is sad news - thanks for passing it on though!

SASless
15th Oct 2011, 17:04
Art was definitely one-of-a-kind! He confirmed my firmly held belief "Real Helicopter Pilots" are genuine characters!

I recall his showing up in the Eket Bar much the worse from a Motor Bike crash and continuing on with the business of the evening....road rash, gaping head wound and all!

He was a Champion!

stacey_s
15th Oct 2011, 17:20
Goodbye Art

Art was as you say Sas, was one hell of guy, pilot, drinker and friend, had the pleasure or of working with him, partying with him, and dragging his motorbike out of the odd ditch and fixing it for him, flying with him for ten years or more, as an engineer I morn his passing as a friend I cry.

An Art funny;-

When I was in the Royal Naval Hospital Haslar with ceribal malaria Art came to visit, threw a box of Cadbury's dairy milk on the bed and said 'here's yer f--kin chocolates, then tried to persuade the matron that because he was ex-navy that he should be allowed to take me to the pub for a drink!, she explained in language that Art could not mistake!, so we walk around the grounds with a 'minder' in tow to make certain we didn't do a runner.

R.I.P. Art my friend

Stace_s

Senior Pilot
15th Oct 2011, 18:24
Damn: another of the good guys, gone :(

CharlieOneSix
15th Oct 2011, 23:13
From the FAAOA website: Art died in Ealing Hospital on 30th September. The funeral will take place on Thursday 20th October at 4.00pm, Mortlake Crematorium, Kew Meadow Path, Townmead Road, Richmond, London TN9 4EN. After the Funeral it is planned to gather at The Plough, 42 Christchurch Rd, East Sheen, SW14 7AF, Tel:020 8876 7833. This is 10 mins from the Crematorium.

whirlwind
16th Oct 2011, 02:53
Stacey/SAS,

You said it all. What a guy. I always enjoyed seeing him in Calabar and Eket - such a refreshing bloke in the upside down world it was there. I think the last time I saw him was at your wedding Stace. His swamp chic had changed into a 3-piece whistle and flute in which he looked far less comfortable!

I'm afraid Z and I won't be able to make the funeral - sorry Art (and Frank W).

WW

soggyboxers
16th Oct 2011, 06:33
Art was certainly a one-off whose memorial will be all those people who fondly remember him as one of aviation's characters.

RIP old friend :{

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
16th Oct 2011, 08:29
Always had that scraggly beard with crumbs from last week's ham sandwich in it, even when Tony Y-A and I were visiting him in the care home.

What a character.

Goodbye mate.:(

Sandy Toad
16th Oct 2011, 08:54
Very sad news. Not seen him for long time but even from the beginning at Culdrose and The Peanut Huts he was "individual" and had panache.
Remember then and still when he was in Dubai he would go dry for a month a year just to prove to himself he could - made up for lost time in the other 11 months though!
Don't make them like Art anymore and the fun of aviation disappears with these characters.

soggyboxers
16th Oct 2011, 12:38
Poor Art suffered from a lot of ill health for much of the last 10 years. He lost his pilot licence after catching TB and later suffered from diabetes as a result of which he lost one leg and some toes on his remaining foot. His eyesight was also affected :(
But, I'll always remember him as a larger-than-life character who lived life to the full.

TipCap
16th Oct 2011, 14:13
Sad news indeed. I met Art on one of my visits to Nigeria in 1981 when I was trialling area nav systems out there on behalf of BHL.

A larger than life character who will be missed

RIP

John Whale

finalchecksplease
16th Oct 2011, 18:56
Very sad news.

I will never forget the first time I arrived in PH and you did my area familiarisation flight and later picked me up in your Merc to show me the sights. We went to different places and ended up in the mosquito bar until the early hours. :ok:

As others said before another one of the good guys gone, RIP Art!

mtoroshanga
17th Oct 2011, 06:32
I knew Art from the Sdco 704 days and he was always a great guy to be with though a bit more elegent in those days. RIP Art.

Ikoyian
17th Oct 2011, 09:57
I first met Art in Dubai (DPC) around 1980-84 then later in Calabar 89 - 90 (Ashland).

Some (but not all) of my memories include;
Standing on the South West Fatah
Having a beer in the Zoo
My first 212 start
Hanging all certificates in the WC
Art riding his BMW 650 boxer twin around Calabar
Watching the boats ply the Cross river, from the Calabar bar, whilst the sun set
The home made Calabar water filter

We always meant to catch up one day to talk about all those moments that are lost on those who never experienced the places we went. But time and circumstance never let us arrange that day.

RIP Art

Ainippe
24th Oct 2011, 08:56
I remember him coming to Eket, he injected some much needed light heartedness into the atmosphere, he was kind hearted and generous to a fault whilst I knew him. He will be remembered by all that knew him .......