PDA

View Full Version : Australia...a great place to fly but.....

Paul Alfred
5th Nov 2001, 14:17
i'm sick of paying $300 aus an hour building my 210 hours to go north and hopefully land a job and support a wife and two young kids on $20,000 a year.
what do you do?? you want to do the thing you love the most but at what risk- finacial, relationships - i'm sure there are a thousand other people out there who have experienced this and got through it: any secrets??, please let me know!! cheers.

skyhawk688
5th Nov 2001, 14:51
did you try to borrow money from the bank?from i know, a lot peaple did that for flying training. good luck to you, buddy!

5th Nov 2001, 15:57
Are you really willing to take your family up there? Mate - I've been doing this stuff solo and I find it hard. I can't imagine family pressures on top of the rest of the dilemmas. Is there anything you can do locally (skydive..instructing)? Might be worth a look into. The life of the 200 hr pilot involves moving from place to place at the drop of a hat and sooner or later you will be faced with some heated discussions with your loved ones. On top of that you will discover that it is a privilige to earn 20K a year. There are many that go with out. Best of luck.

P.S. Don't spend too much money on 200 series time...20 hrs is plenty... I got a job and had no high wing time at all.....

Jimmy Pop
5th Nov 2001, 23:42
Long hard road hey....

Pop over to the Dunnunda and Godzone forum and post over there. I'm pretty sure I've read a couple of stories from guys over there who went north with their missus and a a caravan.

Still if flying is really what you wanna do, you'll find a way to make it happen :)

Paul Alfred
7th Nov 2001, 14:43
Hey, cheers for the advice....

BIK..I had the wife and kids before the career...didnt know it was going to be this difficult. I guess you haven't got those ties which is good advice for all pilots trying to start out and get to the big 1500hrs.

Catch ya's.