PDA

View Full Version : Flying in New York Area.

Gav28
15th Oct 2011, 01:06
Hi,

I recently moved over to NY from the UK (have been flying a PA28 based in South West of England for the last few years)

Was hoping someone might be able to recommend a good place to rent regularly from in the vicinity?

Thanks

Gomrath
15th Oct 2011, 01:09
You do not say exactly where in NY - its a big state.
Best bet is to get hold of a sectional (or use runwayfinder) and find the local airfields then use something like Airnav to give more information including FBO's. Then pick up the phone.

Gav28
15th Oct 2011, 02:01
Sorry - I live and work in Manhattan (Midtown).

Yes my next move was to start ringing around, I've started putting a list of potential options together but was just hoping for a recommendation.

A and C
15th Oct 2011, 04:04
Looks like an interesting place for a bit of VFR, the IFR environment is very busy and on a clear day only just above those flying down the river.
I do like the way that the airspace is available to all but the other day had to take my hat off to the guy in the PA28 who past 1000ft below us when we had just locked on to the ILS looking to do an autoland due to the weather hovering just below the CAT1 limits. Not sure I would want to be out in that weather in a single engine aircraft.

AdamFrisch
15th Oct 2011, 11:15
Instructor Doug Stewart has a great and informative piece about flying the NY VFR corridor down the Hudson. Well worth watching.

Flying the New York VFR Corridor - YouTube

mm_flynn
15th Oct 2011, 13:05
You are probably looking at Lindon, Lincoln Park, Morristown, Caldwell in NJ, White Plains to the North or Republic out on the Island.

Wrong Stuff
15th Oct 2011, 13:53
mm_flynn has narrowed down the choices well.

Linden is probably the nearest by road miles but it's pretty soulless and I don't think there's anywhere to rent from. Actually I don't think there's much of anything there other than a runway and a Coke machine. Think Elstree without the nice bits.

Lincoln Park seemed nice and friendly. It's a GA only field with just one runway, if I remember correctly. There's a school you can probably rent from. It's a bit further out than all the others. If you want a UK-style GA feel, that's probably the place for you.

Caldwell (aka Essex County) is a bit closer in, in the same direction. It appears to have reasonable facilities. When I was doing the same search as you, this came second choice.

Republic seems fine with lots there, but it's a slog to get to it through traffic at the weekends.

Best choice I found was White Plains. It's a small commuter-service airport with GA across the other side of the field. It's a very easy drive from Midtown. There are two schools there, Performance Flight (all Cirrus) and Panorama (Cessnas) both of which have a good reputation.

Easiest thing to do is rent a ZipCar and go visit a few. The sectional is available online (skyvector.com) and airnav.com has all the data on the airfields. Or even better, the AOPA website, if you're a member. Well worth joining in the US - you actually get something useful for your money.

mm_flynn
15th Oct 2011, 15:52
I learned to fly at HPN (White Plains) and have been back a number of times since. It is a good place to get used to the American style of landing clearance.

'Cleared to land number 4 after the crossing G6'

Also, arriving in late one night (about midnight so after ATC have gone home) shot the ILS, landed and the FBO was out on the ramp with his truck (and my parents) to get my luggage. He had helped them follow my flight in on his FlightAware screen and served them coffee while they waited.

(Panorama for info - I don't have experience with the Cirrus guys)

Gav28
7th Nov 2011, 02:36
Wrong Stuff/mm_flynn,

Excellent, thanks very much, just what I was after. Going to go and check a few of these out in the coming weeks.

nick ritter
7th Nov 2011, 07:29
Gav28

I was in Manhattan back in April and travelled to Panorama Flight Service at Westchester County Airport for a pleasure flight around Manhattan – the whole experience was fantastic

I had a car and the journey was less than an hour’s drive, although I understand there is a train station as well nearby which might be easier

I was very pleased with how good the school and planes were. I have nothing to compare them with in the US as this was my first flight in America, but it was a very enjoyable experience

We rented a C 182, which was almost brand new, came with a Garmin 1000 and all the toys etc (a first for me) and the rental cost was comparable to less than what I pay to rent just outside of London (for older planes without the latest avionics)

I was amazed at the numerous airports up the coast with an ILS that we could practice on (for free) and then equally amazed at how they let you fly down the Hudson, along the Manhattan skyline, over the Statue of Liberty and I understand back over central park (although I didn’t manage central park due to a Yankee game that placed some restrictions on these flights)

The one noticeable difference to what I am familiar with at my club just out of London was that the American school charges you per hour of the flight instructors time (in my case an English bloke who works from the school). So if you book a 9 to 12 slot you will pay for 3hr of his time (even if you only manage a 1.5hr flight) – no issues here, as long as one is aware of it before hand

The other noticeable difference was the distinct lack of club atmosphere. Those apart – I was very pleased with Panorama

Good luck in Manhattan

Nick

20driver
7th Nov 2011, 14:57
I live in the area and think the idea of getting a car and driving around is a good one. If you don't have regular access to a car White Plains is close to the Metro North and I think you can take a bus to Caldwell from the PATH. Morristown might also work, you'd need to get a taxi from the train station.

I would stay away from Teteboro as you can get long ground delays.

Depending how long you are in the area there are a few flying clubs you can join. Also AOPA list seminars etc which can be a good way to get in touch with local pilots.

20driver