PDA

View Full Version : Ice Pilots NWT

Jay Bo
15th Oct 2011, 00:16
Series 3 first episode up and running

Ice Pilots NWT - S03E01 - Under New Management (download torrent) - TPB (http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6741940/Ice_Pilots_NWT_-_S03E01_-_Under_New_Management)

Power
15th Oct 2011, 00:30
nice thanks for that, didnt think they were gonna do a 3rd one!

VH-XXX
15th Oct 2011, 00:38
Thanks! Didn't know it was out yet. There is now a meaning to life again. Life will be wholely complete though, when when Flying Wild Alaska season 2 comes out, if it does.......

Jay Bo
15th Oct 2011, 01:57
Never fear a 4th series has started filming. So a series for next year as well

wishiwasupthere
15th Oct 2011, 02:08
Life will be wholely complete though, when when Flying Wild Alaska season 2 comes out, if it does.......

....mmmm, Ariel Tweto. :E

DC3Qld
15th Oct 2011, 02:27
Flying Wild Alaska premiering Oct 28 in the states so expect it here on Discovery soon (I hope) but who knows. That haven't repeated Season 1 yet which they normally like to do. Love the Tweto family :ok:
Also I see Gold Rush Alaska starting in the US at the same time. (Scripted reality.......)

Ultralights
15th Oct 2011, 02:48
Flying Wild Alaska was a far better series than Ice Pilots, far more variety in the flying

VH-XXX
15th Oct 2011, 03:38
If you are actually 68 wishiwasupthere, then her sister might be more your cup of tea as she is some 10 years older than Ariel and some would say better looking.

wishiwasupthere
15th Oct 2011, 04:03
Since when does number of posts made represent age? :)

Windshear_ahead
15th Oct 2011, 04:06
Agreed... Flying Wild Alaska makes for much better viewing.

Jay Bo, was that 4th series for flying wild alaska or for ice pilots?

DC3Qld
15th Oct 2011, 04:58
Definitely another series of Flying Wild Alaska on the way, series two starts in two weeks in the US, I'm hoping it gets here soon, I loved the first series, the Tweto's seem like a great bunch. Looking forward to more of Ariel learning how to fly.....cracks me up.

VH-XXX
15th Oct 2011, 05:19
Sorry the iPhone text must have been too small. Oops.

Bear Grylls
15th Oct 2011, 05:20
All of season one of Flying Wild Alaska is on youtube. It takes a bit of sloothing, but it's all there.

Looking forward to season two!!
:ok:

VH AGB
15th Oct 2011, 08:01
Damn must watch the end of season 2!
Flying Wild Alaska Season 2!!!! :ok::ok:

baswell
15th Oct 2011, 10:52
There is a 300 MB version on Usenet (alt.binaries.multimedia.aviation), which should, theoretically, be better than the 200 MB version on TPB.

FWA is the better show, but having just watched IPNWT s03e01, it looks like they have calmed down the editing somewhat. There were no endless "coming up/earlier" bits like in previous seasons, hope it stays that way.

PA39
15th Oct 2011, 23:22
They have been looking for Gooney Birds all over the world.

Tankengine
15th Oct 2011, 23:30
Plenty around!:ok:

DC3Qld
15th Oct 2011, 23:45
Maybe they can rescue an Aussie Dak before they all end up as museum pieces. Would make a great episode or three, bound to have no end of help from former crew in Aus. Mmmm..... maybe I should pitch them the idea, would love to sit in on that trip.

Dangnammit
16th Oct 2011, 02:44
The Aviators is is a show with some interesting content.
Shows how crap the Aussie G.A scene is compared to nth America- note the word 'compared' for the complainers

baswell
16th Oct 2011, 02:48
The Aviators++.

Looks better compared to Aus? Wait till you actually get to fly there! Not hearing "and you've got a plan for that in the system somewhere?" just because you want to cross a charlie would be something we could do with here too.

The Aviators are also proper new media: you can pay them 10 bucks and view all the shows online, without having to wait some local network to pick it up. (Or pirate it, as we are pretty much forced to do with Ice Pilots and FWA)

Hasherucf
16th Oct 2011, 04:15
Thought FWA was running low on material in the last series when they got a pilot to dress up in a chicken suit for a flight and the guy at the end jumped out of the bushes as a bear. Low quality stuff....

Mind you Ice Pilots NWT is just like most GA charter company's I have worked at. Psycho owners , low time pilots , clapped out old planes. Op's normal :ugh:

jas24zzk
16th Oct 2011, 04:25
must admit, FWA's repetitive style drove me a lil batty, as do all shows that spend time repeating what you have just watched.

As for Ariel....hmmm hubba

nitpicker330
16th Oct 2011, 09:23
Both FWA and Ice Pilots NWT must be watched pretty closely by their respective regulators. They do some pretty shonky stuff at times!!

However I do enjoy both shows and respect the tough jobs they do.

SgtBundy
16th Oct 2011, 12:57
The only problem with watching FWA is the urge to throw away money and a IT career to go learn to fly a C208 outback somewhere returns. If only it were so easy...
:{

I found you have to watch both of them with a grain of salt and filter out the faked drama. I don't mind the little bits of family fun they throw in both shows, gives it a bit of atmosphere, but the "we have to make this delivery or the company goes under" crap wears thin. I find the view into the industry (as an outsider) and seeing the challenges they face interesting though. FWA appeals to me more though because as above the thought of single engine turbine flying just tickles me right.

Another good shows is Heliloggers - not a lot of flying in the show, but what they do have makes you respect what they can do with a Chinook hauling several tons of a very large tree on the end of cable.:ok:

VH-XXX
16th Oct 2011, 20:23
makes you respect what they can do with a Chinook hauling several tons of a very large tree on the end of cable

Not to mention with a woman at the controls.... :D

LeadSled
17th Oct 2011, 01:30
Both FWA and Ice Pilots NWT must be watched pretty closely by their respective regulators. They do some pretty shonky stuff at times!!

There speaks the voice of a true anal retentive Australian, who apparently has no idea of what the rest of the world actually do with aircraft ---- and can only conceive of "compliance" as the be all and end all of aviation.

Strangely, Australia does not have as good a safety record as US, comparing like with like, how could that possibly be??

Maybe ticking boxes and mountains of bureaucracy doesn't generate "air safety" after all??

Tootle pip!!

nitpicker330
17th Oct 2011, 08:10
Now now settle bud, I've been outside the Oz bubble for nearly all of my aviation life and I've seen a bit here or there. :ok:

I've also spoken to Canadian colleagues that used to work there and my comments are correct.

However I totally respect their hard work and a part of me wouldn't mind giving it a go. I suspect that 30 years of flying with a hot galley and a toilet not to mention the -30 temps might put me off after a while!! ( not to mention the pay )

Anyway as another poster said above they no doubt play it up for the camera and it's probably not as shonky as it looks at times.

baswell
17th Oct 2011, 22:53
Last season, Joe did get his license suspended for a month over busting minimums into Hay River. So they must be watching.

Remember that just because they don't show any boring, uneventful flights doesn't mean there are any.

Looking at the show, you'd think they only have a handful of aircraft and pilots. In reality, they are keeping over 50 aircraft in the air. That's a lot of flying that does not make it onto the show.

Biggles78
21st Oct 2011, 12:03
Ice Pilots S3 Episode 2 is now available. This is the one where Arnie does the Dambuster rubbish "re-enactment".

aviatorhi
22nd Oct 2011, 09:46
I used to work for the FWA outfit, a lot less drama in reality. Nonetheless, the owner sees himself as the greatest gift to aviation. The reason the show exists is because the daughter wanted to be on TV and knew the right people. Neither daughter has ever worked at the airline (apart from answering a phone) and can more commonly be found in Central America, Hawaii or Europe spending daddy's money, rather than working in the arctic.

As far as Ice Pilots, I'm one of the last people you'll run into that will side with "compliance" or regulations, but continuing several takeoffs (one after the other) with an engine fire bell going off is just plain dumb, don't care where or who you are, and I've flown a few thousand hours in the arctic.

Forestdump
22nd Oct 2011, 16:36
I think my wife was getting a bit tired of me yelling at the T.V. "You've got an exhaust leak!"

Flying a C-46 sure is easy from my couch.

baswell
23rd Oct 2011, 06:47
Sounds like you have some sour grapes, aviatorhi! Personally, I don't think believing you are rather good at something is a bad trait in an entrepreneur. :) And he's certainly done well... I also know a lot of "the right people", but without an interesting story to tell, they won't put my company on TV!

For what it's worth, the miss in question annoys the heck out of me every time she's on the screen. I feel sorry for her though, having to do ab-initio in a C207. Her dad's 185 probably would have been a better choice!

nitpicker330
23rd Oct 2011, 07:23
mmmmmm.

It might help if she followed a structured course with a real instructor as well.

In one episode she was learning to land but still didn't know which instrument did what......:ugh:

aviatorhi
23rd Oct 2011, 08:11
Sounds like you have some sour grapes, aviatorhi!

It's not too hard to get from the show, if you pay attention, that, as an example, he's proud of the crashes he's had. As an entrepreneur it's very easy to do well when you merge with the competition and drive the prices up 500%, which is what Hageland Aviation (the company the series is "focusing" on) and Frontier Flying Service did when they purchased Era Aviation (and renamed themselves Era Alaska) then purchased Arctic Circle Air. Any place where there is competition they don't do particularly well in comparison (for instance Bethel). You also have to realize that 99% of those flight are government "subsidized", while not part of any official aviation subsidy they make an effective profit of $1/pound of the mail they fly, it's part of the "bypass mail" program, something rather clever that Ted Stevens came up with when he was a Senator.

I don't have a problem with what he does with his money, however I find it offensive to attempt to portray the company as a family run airline where the girls are full time employees when in fact they rarely, if ever, set foot on property. The company is run like any other large airline, with major offices in Anchorage, Palmer and Fairbanks with Tweto "managing" from Unalakleet, nothing at all like the show is attempting to portray.

@nitpicker, I get the feeling they're doing that more for plot purposes than any real intention of her learning to fly.

baswell
23rd Oct 2011, 08:35
Yeah, that is one of the parts of the show that is very easy to see through; one read of the Wikipedia page makes it clear there is no way he's in charge of the whole thing on a day to day basis from where he is while getting a fair bit of flying in himself.

I was surprised at the hourly rate for his C185; it seemed a bit excessive. No competition is good competition, I guess... Is there a good reason the market isn't correcting this? Why are others not moving in and competing on price?

In fairness, the show makes it very clear daughter #2 is not involved in the airline.

aviatorhi
23rd Oct 2011, 09:48
When I flew up there our company (not the FWA one) charged an hourly rate of $600-$900 for a C207 (depending on where you wanted to land, on airport started at 600 and off airport was 900 or above). The 400 rate isn't excessive, you're paying for expertise and willingness to operate at the absolute limit or beyond.

As far as competition, one of the provisions of the bypass mail program is that an operator must be established in scheduled operations for one year before they are allowed to carry bypass mail, so you're looking at one year of bleeding money from every orifice against long time operators with established scheduled (the youngest scheduled bush airline that comes to mind is about 40 years old). Alaska Airline, NAC and Everts Air Cargo will fly the gross majority of the mail from Anchorage to the bush hubs (Bethel, Kotzebue, Nome, Barrow, St. Mary's, Unalakleet, Galena etc.), they share it pretty much evenly though they do subcontract work between each other and smaller operators as well. When it get's there the "local" cargo operators (ATS, now back to its original name of Ryan Air is by and far the largest) get about 50% of the arriving mail for distribution. Of the remainder 60% is awarded to the operator who flies the majority of passengers to a particular village (even if it's only slightly more than the runner up).

Because of this the "routings" can get somewhat interesting, while each airline does publish a schedule the way it is filled can be rather unique. My favorite run was a scheduled flight of BET-PTU-GNU-BET; was a 2.2 block and fun mountain flying for about half. However, on a busy day that could quickly turn into BET-PKA-WNA-EEK-KWN-GNU-PTU... and before you know it it's lunchtime.

If you're watching the show closely you can really tell the good pilots from the bad, the shows costar (skater boy) would constantly land fast, even wheel barreled a few times, yet the focus is on him because of "outside" circumstances. Meanwhile a lot of the pilots who received 5 seconds of fame are fantastic people and good sticks. My favorite example of that is a situation in which an Eskimo I flew with was landing at a village called Kwigillingok, a strip which is effectively 27 feet wide and 1900 feet long (the FAA says its longer but if you try to use the north 500 or so feet most times of the year you'll get stuck, and don't even thing about landing on it any time of the year). Anyway, the only way they could make it seem exciting was by jump cut after jump cut, whereas if you watched it from one angle it would have been the least "eventful" landing you have seen in a Cessna, even though the winds were upwards of 30 knots across.

Sorry for the rant/campfire story, but just got going with some memories and one thing led to another.

nitpicker330
24th Oct 2011, 05:08
"30 kts across"........yes and that's another thing, do these Pilots know that there is a crosswind limit or do they just ignore it?

How many times have I seen them landing a 207 sideways on a contaminated runway!! :ugh:

aviatorhi
24th Oct 2011, 06:30
It's a demonstrated limit, not a hard limit, I've been up to 45 knots. Also, this is 135 flying, essentially Air Taxi rules, which allow you to do pretty much anything, including LEGALLY fly in 1 mile visibility at 500 feet AGL.

VH-XXX
24th Oct 2011, 06:39
How many times have I seen them landing a 207 sideways

Probably only ONCE. The rest were re-runs from file footage usually shown straight after the adverts.

nitpicker330
24th Oct 2011, 07:01
Really? I'd love to see the insurance payout after they run off the runway landing above Cessna's crosswind limit!!!

Besides, what ever happened to common sense and duty of care??

adsyj
24th Oct 2011, 07:30
aviatorhi

Thanks for sharing your experience with FWA. I really enjoy the show both for the flying and the Alaska bits and pieces.

I admit I am loving all these Alaska shows, Crab Fishing, Alaska State Troopers I'm keen to get up there and have a look around.

JIm Tweeto seems like a pretty good fella are you inferring when you say he is proud of his crashes he is a bit of a cowboy? I get the impression that in order to achieve some of the off airfield missions he is tasked with he needs a bit of cowboy in him and I guess crashes come with the territory.

Anyway I realise it is TV and produced for the masses.

Feel free to wander down memory lane again, I find the whole thing fascinating.

Cheers

aviatorhi
24th Oct 2011, 07:51
I could tell you things I know to be facts and have experienced personally which would change your mind about that, but a public forum is not the place.

Being a cowboy is part of what bush flying is all about. Wrangling crosswinds and getting the job done is just part of the game, if it's not something you're comfortable with you probably won't enjoy that sort of flying, nothing wrong with that, there is a style of flying that is cut out for every pilot in the world (some people even enjoy multiple styles). I recall a new hire class that arrived on Sunday evening to begin class on Monday. Two of the guys were from the Lower 48 and had no idea what Alaska (much less rural Alaska) was all about, they left the next morning without saying a word when they (we suspect) realized what they had gotten into. As far as what I am referring to is that the good cowboys don't need to tell you how good they are and they sure don't bend airplanes. Those are the guys you'll hardly hear about, but are the ones I'd trust any day of the week in any situation.

There's also a bit of "controversy" at the entire organization they are running in relation to how the mergers between the 4 comapnies went through, certain people thing other certain people got the better end of the deal, and vice versa. Let's just say that the airline which Mr. Tweto runs is one of the 2 "surviving" certificates of the 5 that went in.

Really? I'd love to see the insurance payout after they run off the runway landing above Cessna's crosswind limit!!!

Again it's a demonstrated limit, I had the same attitude about that when I had still had wet ink on my commercial license, to the point of refusing to fly skydivers one day because the wind was calling 2 knots over the demonstrated limit. Alaska fixed that attitude in me really fast. While some may call this "pilot pushing" or similar things I won't, flying in Alaska affords you the most freedom of any flying job I can think of, you're in one of the wildest and most beautiful places in the world flying how you want. You or your passengers want to go animal spotting on the way somewhere? No problem. Want to take them the long way and go sight seeing? It's encouraged if you got the time. And finally, Captain's authority and decision making is only questioned in the most extreme cases, if you fly out somewhere, try an approach but decide it's too much wind for you, or your TLAR (that looks about right) system starts giving you a warning and you turn around for whatever reason at all it will not be a negative mark as it is in many other places.

Oh, and then there's the 2 week on 2 week of schedule (or in my case 1 month on 1 month off) starting on day 1, no need to climb the seniority ladder to have a good wage (207 wage starts at about 70K and up, with senior pilots making upwards of 6 figures flying a 7 seat airplane).

nitpicker330
24th Oct 2011, 08:04
I stand by the comment. Insurance companies dig very deep and long to find excuses not to pay up. An incident/accident that can be attributed to operating outside demonstrated limits would be a big red flag.

Good luck :ok:

mcgrath50
24th Oct 2011, 12:00
Hey aviatorhi, how hard is it for an Aussie to get immigration to go work in Alaska? :8

404 Titan
24th Oct 2011, 12:48
aviatorhi
Being a cowboy is part of what bush flying is all about. Wrangling crosswinds and getting the job done is just part of the game,
Again it's a demonstrated limit
Sorry mate but as nitpicker330 has said “Demonstrated Limit” is still an absolute limitation as far as the regulator and insurance companies are concerned. If you have an accident irrespective of whether the breach of the “Demonstrated Limit” was the cause of the accident or not, the insurance company will refuse to pay out and the regulator will eat you alive. Alaska isn’t immune to the mindset that the job must get done. This mindset was prevalent in Papua New Guinea when I was flying there. In over 10 years of bush flying in some of the most remote parts of Australia and Papua New Guinea I can say with a hand on my heart I never lowered my standards to the point that people could call me a cowboy. That’s not to say I didn’t pushed both myself and the aircraft I flew to the limits. I did but always kept commercial pressures where they rightly belonged, well down the list of priorities.

aviatorhi
24th Oct 2011, 13:52
Okay, we're shutting down Alaska because somebody doesn't want to fly past the demonstrated limit.

In the US demonstrated is just that, even the FAA (regulator) has no problem with it, and the insurance companies have rarely if ever questioned it. There's many a reason why airlines in the US use insurance markets instead of insurance brokers. This is likely one of them. Bottom line is this is something that appears to be a big deal in other parts of the world and isn't even worth mentioning in the US. Some people might call it "dangerous", but, day in and day out, reality proves otherwise.

Hey aviatorhi, how hard is it for an Aussie to get immigration to go work in Alaska?

The airline I work for now has one Aussie who's been here for quite a while, though I no longer work in Alaska. I do know there are many Scandinavians and a few Kiwis up there at the moment. Over on Saipan I've run into a few Kiwis and Aussies who fly the 7 minute shuttle to Tinian so I suppose it's a lot easier than going the other direction.

adsyj
24th Oct 2011, 22:00
Av

Just on the insurance issue raised by others, my mate that flys in the states tells me that Insurance Policies are custom built. In other words start from scratch and you shop the market for an insurer that will build a policy (after risk assesment etc) that is more suited to each individual operation. In other words rather than an off the shelf standard policy you purchase a policy negotiate with the insurer to cover the areas you have mentioned above. Is this what you mean by insurance markets.? I expect the premium would be rather nasty.

It is hard for us in Aust to comprehend that the regulator will understand the unique conditions in Alaska and deal with incidents accordingly. I take your point that air transport would shutdown for days on end if FAA enforced to the letter of the law. I don;t think this would negate total negligence but some sway is granted. Am I on the right track.? Company SOPs no matter would dictate day to day operations and surely no matter what certain minimas can't be bust. Am I understanding, it is all about keeping those remote outposts alive.

I did a bit of reasearch on the tweetos and I can see clearly your point about this being a vehicle for Ariel in particular to further her career outside of aviation. I notice she lives in Hollywood CA.

Alaska is so unique but I do notice on the programme they show plenty of wrecked aircraft. In your experience aircraft accidents in that neck of the woods could mainly attributable to what?

Still I would love to have a crack up there.

Double Wasp
25th Oct 2011, 00:06
Folks

Aviatorhi is completely correct in this whether you want to believe it or not. In North America when ever it says "Demonstrated" in the AFM this is not at limit. The only reason this number is there is because when building an aircraft Cessna for example must be able to prove that the aircraft meets certain minimum criterea put forward by the FAA for certification. Once this is accomplished there is no requirement to prove the acutual limit of a small aircraft and as such "Max Demonstrated" is noted in the POH.

In short in North America (not just Alaska):

Demonstrated = not a legal limit (This is the letter of the law).

If you don't believe me call the FAA.

Believe it or not there are other differences when flying in North America compared to Australia for example; no requirement for holding fuel when flying VFR while there is a Tempo that forecasts weather below alternate minima in the TAF. In fact VFR there has no alternate minima, because an alternate is not required for VFR, and is solely based on actual weather and the TAF does not legally apply any restrictions to VFR flight, you would be an idiot not to look at it though. I could go on.

The insurance companies, which I am sure very few of you here have actually dealt with especially American ones, are only concerned with legal liability. As long as the actions of those in question follow the letter of the law, which landing beyond the "demonstrated crosswind" includes, your insurance will cover.

In short before you slag someone for being wrong because it is different than what you do here, or Niugini, do some research.

Australia is the one that is different.

Cheers
DW

PS: I thought this thread was about Ice Pilots.

MACH082
25th Oct 2011, 01:20
Demonstated = demonstrated in Australia also.

Cross wind limit = crosswind limit.

Just remember though, once you do go over the max demonstrated crosswind, you are in test pilot territory.

If you do have a stack, you need to justify your decision to land in it.

It is surprising how many Pilots don't understand the difference.

I used to fly a Metro. It has a max demonstrated crosswind component of 20 knots as per the AFM. In the company ops manual it stated it as a limit. Therefore the ops manual was to be complied with.

In a previous company it was listed as demonstrated and I regularly landed in 30 knot crosswinds.

A high wing Cessna is a gem to land in big crosswinds. As long as it was a constant wind and not gusting, I'd have no problems attempting a 30 plus knot crosswind landing and have done many a times in various Cessnas and Airvans.

Take it easy out there!

aviatorhi
25th Oct 2011, 05:48
Is this what you mean by insurance markets?

Yes, as an example, Lloyds of London is commonly referred to as an insurance company (among other things), however they are in fact an insurance market. They function the same as far as the basics but can typically accept higher risk and/or an extremely high level of coverage due to how the financial backing is structures for the policy.

Demonstated = demonstrated in Australia also.

Cross wind limit = crosswind limit.

Agreed, no problems there, though to be able to fly in Alaska (or anywhere in the arctic where it gets windy for weeks on end) you need people who can work in those conditions.

I take your point that air transport would shutdown for days on end if FAA enforced to the letter of the law.

Am I on the right track?

As far as the winds are concerned it wouldn't apply there, reference the other statements about the subject. However, as with any airline you need to do a "weight and balance" prior to every flight... right? Well, that's all well and good, now lets say you're out there in the middle of "bum-****" nowhere with 40@-40 (40 knots wind, -40C (or F, they're the same at that temperature there), makes for a wind chill of -87C. Add to that some odd sized cargo/luggage (like a dead seal), 3 screaming babies, 5 adults etc. etc. etc., you've got a 50 pound pocket scale to weigh the luggage (gook luck with a spring working in that sort of cold) and take the pax weights verbally. So when a guy twice as wide as you shows up and tells you he weight 150 you smile and nod and take a good estimate on your own. Good luck if you want to do everything "by the book", you might succeed the first 2 times but you'll freeze to death by the 3rd. Knowing how to skirt around the gray areas is what it takes to keep yourself legal while doing the job as best as it can be done.

The problem I have with SOPs at any airline is they are great on a perfect day in a perfect airplane with perfect performance from all sides, they are also written in a warm and cozy office by somebody who is trying their best to appease the regulator while maintaining some level of semblance to the operation at hand. In most places and airports you will go to outside of bush flying there's no problem with that. However, the further you get from "civilization" the quicker everything starts to unravel. Then it's up to you, as the Captain, to get things done safely and efficiently.

Alaska is so unique but I do notice on the programme they show plenty of wrecked aircraft. In your experience aircraft accidents in that neck of the woods could mainly attributable to what?

Primarily attitudes and lack of common sense. It has decreased from what it was in the past, but the common attitude between pilots was "anything you can do I can do better". My philosophy has always been that if I'm assigned a flight (there or anywhere) I'll go try it, if I don't like what I see I'll turn right around and come on back. There are literally dozens of CFIT accidents that were entirely preventable. The recent midair collision which look place near Nelson island is an example of the attitudes and common sense issue. There's nothing wrong with flying an airplane near, at or (when you know what you're doing) past the official limit, however, when it turns into a competition of who can do what and/or you are out of your element and don't realize it, well, the consequences can get very deadly very fast.

PS: I thought this thread was about Ice Pilots.

I did too, came here looking for the download links, sorry for hijacking.

VH-XXX
25th Oct 2011, 07:51
Seems the FWA pilots aren't your average 200 hour CPL - they appear to have 1,500 to be pilot in command. Should have their landings worked out by 1500 hours you'd hope.

aviatorhi
25th Oct 2011, 08:04
C207 requires 500 hours of flight time to be PIC. FO on the 208 requires 250. To move into an IFR capable aircraft you are right though. Those requirements go for any operator in the US under 135.

adsyj
25th Oct 2011, 08:57
AV

Thanks mate for taking the time to answer:ok:

It's all about airmanship whether it is Alaska or Australia.

Sorry to hijack the thread. On topic I'd love to have a crack at those Buffalo Electras.

Cheers

Dog One
25th Oct 2011, 09:03
Interesting flying in Esp 2. Flying the C46 for three sectors with a big hole in the exhaust, and the fire warning going off. One would have thought that an investigation into the fire alarm by checking inside the cowl would have been prudent. It was only at night, when the crew saw flames inside the cowl that they finally decided to shut down the engine!

jas24zzk
25th Oct 2011, 13:46
Aviatri,
i doubt your comments are a thread hijack. More a positive side input that is experience based by someone whom has been there.

Love your responses to comments about the 2 shows.

:ok:

VH-XXX
25th Oct 2011, 22:29
Like this one Jas?

There's nothing wrong with flying an airplane near, at or (when you know what you're doing) past the official limit

aviatorhi
25th Oct 2011, 22:43
Out over the tundra 50 miles from anywhere in a 207 at 1000 feet, wx is low, suddenly goes to zero and you're in icing, you're past the official limit... What you gonna do now? Land where you're at? Stop flying because you're past the limit?

Ideally you try to descend out of the icing (unless you definitively know how high the tops are, you don't have much spare climb performance with ice on the wings and 1300 lbs of payload), even though you may be going below the regulators minimum altitude, but the plane will fly low, it just won't fly with 3 inches of ice on the wings. Still past the limit, but safer than you were before.

You deal with things the best way you can, by learning and being capable of handling the airplane past the limit when it calls for it. If you consider my statements to be 'gems' then you should take a step back and realize that reality isn't written in any book or on any tv series.

kingRB
25th Oct 2011, 23:13
Season 2 info and a bit of a story on how the show came about....

'Flying Wild Alaska' season two debuts Friday, Oct. 28, starring Ariel, Jim and Ferno Tweto | Alaska Dispatch (http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/flying-wild-alaska-set-premiere-season-2)

VH-XXX
30th Oct 2011, 07:15
Episode 3 out now.

Ice Pilots NWT S03E03 Chuck Walks ZiLLA (download torrent) - TPB (http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6779349/Ice_Pilots_NWT_S03E03_Chuck_Walks_ZiLLA)

(2 located here)

Ice Pilots NWT S03E02 Dambusters ZiLLA (download torrent) - TPB (http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6776911/Ice_Pilots_NWT_S03E02_Dambusters_ZiLLA)

startingout
30th Oct 2011, 08:15
Flying Wild Alaksa torrents are up as well.

Go below for the Standerd Def version, search on TPB for the 720p if you need it.
Flying.Wild.Alaska.S02E01.Arctic.Winds.HDTV.XviD-MOMENTUM (download torrent) - TPB (http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6781682/Flying.Wild.Alaska.S02E01.Arctic.Winds.HDTV.XviD-MOMENTUM)