PDA

View Full Version : Reserve Day Jobs

flyboyUK2003
13th Oct 2011, 22:08
Hi All,

I've had a heap of days lately sitting at home on reserve with nothing to do, so I thought I'd ask around and see if anyone has any ideas for jobs that can be done on a reserve day, ie one where they don't mind if you have to leave in a hurry in case of a call in.

Please reply if you have such a job or any ideas.

Cheers

RadioSaigon
13th Oct 2011, 22:57
Set-up something for yourself!!! You already know the boss and it'll be something that blows your hair back ;-)

Capt Claret
13th Oct 2011, 23:30
Many moons ago when working at Essendon Airport but not as a pilot, the maintenance organisation that worked on the company's aeroplanes, employed several AN & TN Flight Engineers, or pilot's who had been AME/LAME in a previous life. They'd come in on their days off, or reserve, and if called, would whip down the road to Tullamarine and go to their other job.

ozbiggles
14th Oct 2011, 00:46
If you do a second paid job you are just going to get smashed at the top tax rate and further supplement those who don't care to work.
What about a volunteer type job, for example a state SES, scouts or any other worthwhile organisation that floats your boat.
As a volunteer you can always say work comes first and you might find that hobby that keeps you entertained on those quiet days.

jas24zzk
14th Oct 2011, 01:11
But if you're already earning 500k + per year, the tax man already has you by the short and curlies

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/images/smilies/banana.gif

VH-FTS
14th Oct 2011, 02:19
Help your wife out and do the laundry.

Centaurus
14th Oct 2011, 03:15
Courier work on a bicycle in the CBD will at least keep you fit and you can get to wear your aviator sunnies too:ok:

RENURPP
14th Oct 2011, 03:30
I need some help doing some home improvements and the tax man doesn't need to know!:ok:

Snail Dave
14th Oct 2011, 04:53
Do you mean paid work? If not, something like working on old aeroplanes and displays at the RAAF Museum can be fun every now and again.

c173
14th Oct 2011, 06:53
restore an old car

Lasiorhinus
14th Oct 2011, 11:31
Build a helicopter and teach yourself to fly it.. :eek:

Jabawocky
14th Oct 2011, 12:10
Lasio http://www.beechtalk.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl02.gif

Worrals in the wilds
14th Oct 2011, 12:35
Or dig a grave and teach yourself to lie in it (standing by for incoming from DIY helo enthusiasts). :ouch:
I know a couple of shiftworkers who supplement their income doing landscape gardening, running mowing businesses and similar garden-related jobs. Not franchise based (they need you to be available at specific times), just personal referral/ads in the local paper sort of stuff.

If you're fitness minded you could investigate doing a bit of casual personal training/guided walks etc, but you may need a qualification first. Do you have any hobbies like diving that you could go semi-pro with?

WS-G
14th Oct 2011, 23:06
What about a volunteer type job, for example a state SES, scouts or any other worthwhile organisation that floats your boat.
As a volunteer you can always say work comes first and you might find that hobby that keeps you entertained on those quiet days.
What I did was start my own ferrying business (none of the local FBOs were hiring; one of those "failure to be related" issues :ugh: ) and get some additional flying pro bono via the Civil Air Patrol (USAF Auxiliary). It seemed the ideal thing, as I'd gotten my own start as a Cadet way-back-when and had, until my recent military retirement, been juggling some semblance of normal life against part-time soldiering. "Reserve" in more ways than one!

Flying SAR, towing gliders and providing cadet familiarization flights were a great way to acquire extra flight hours, with the largest price tag being that of donating additional time mentoring the kids in the Cadet program. One of the first alumni I "lost" (in a good way!) is an Air Force C-130 pilot now and has just completed his very first deployment. Another one of my top pupils is now in his second year at the US Coast Guard Academy and is doing quite well by all reports, and I've just lost another youngster to the Marine Corps. This sort of thing can have its own other-than-financial rewards.

At my own end, I've worked myself back into graduate school: MPH near completion, as is certification as an Aerospace Physiologist.

Skystar320
15th Oct 2011, 01:11
Join a Volunteer Fire Brigade! Digs for the chicks