PDA

View Full Version : Warning For Families in DSO- Please Read

givemewings
13th Oct 2011, 14:41
Hi all, I know this is an aviation forum, but a friend in Dubai forwarded this onto me & knowing that we have a lot of EK crew & families living in this area, thought this is a good place to post. If mods don't like this then feel free to delete as fit, but according to my friends people they know living there have not heard about this at all until it was posted online on several chat forums for Dubai-based expats.

Attempted abduction of a child in DSO Sept 29th

Link here: Dubai Silicon Oasis property, food and community website - WARNING - Attempted Child Abduction in Cedre Villas - WARNING (http://www.siliconoasis.org/forum/content.php?325-WARNING-Attempted-Child-Abduction-in-Cedre-Villas-WARNING&)

Dubai is safe but not 100% safe, please be careful everyone!!! :(

Whistlen Dan
13th Oct 2011, 18:12
Local - Emirates 24/7 (http://www.emirates247.com/crime/local)

and this only what the UAE makes public, remember, no such thing as free press

Swansafa
14th Oct 2011, 17:30
It always seems to be a blonde child, with blue eyes, being abducted. No one ever seems to steal the kids with thick, coarse, black hair and black eyes. Very discriminatory.

777boyindubai
15th Oct 2011, 03:52
Swansafa. A child is a child is a child. There are lots of decent and nice families up at DSO. This should be taken seriously. Any comment that detracts from the seriousness of this matter doesn't help. If WE as a community lose a light-skinned or dark-skinned child, then it would be a total and unmitigated disaster for all of us.

Fart Master
15th Oct 2011, 10:11
That's right Swansafa, let's concentrate on the discrimination, it's far more important than the abduction issue. Feeling a bit swarthy are we?

givemewings
15th Oct 2011, 10:17
Hmm I don't recall the write up describing the child, only the would-be abductors. All they said was the kid was a girl. I don't know where you get that these things don't happen to non-white kids- I distinctly recall a case (with a less happier ending) where there was a local boy and also an Indian or Sri Lankan boy taken/mistreated awhile back...

so, it doesn't matter- a kid is a kid. Be aware out there guys, and don't be afraid to question someone you think is suspicious. Little kids are sometimes too scared to speak up and so you might be the last resort for them!

777boyindubai
15th Oct 2011, 13:04
As the last two posters have said, the colour thing isn't relevant. We ALL need to come together, take care of our own and our neighbours kids to prevent this happening. Don't be afraid to question and I, for one, will be writing to DSO to ask what they are doing about this.

imnotwhoyouthinkiam
15th Oct 2011, 13:41
Child abduction, especially in the third world is a real problem. The thing that most people don't realize is that the sex slave trade is in fact a very large criminal enterprise and there are men who get paid a lot to nab children when they are young. There are also high profile people involved in this but very few have their names revealed.

If you want to know just how big a problem this is take a look at the Catholic Church. I know its not abduction but its a problem.

We all have heard stories of women being kept in basements for years and years before they are found. How many aren't. Many are traffiked off to other parts of the world.

I wouldn't leave children with maids if I was you. I don't know if its ignorance on the part of the parents but you are essentially leaving your children with less than educated women from parts of the world where most people are not well versed in public safety.

Payscale
16th Oct 2011, 05:29
I dont understand why anyone would assume that Dubai is safer than anywhere else. Bad stuff happend everywhere.
Get out of your LA-LA land state of mind and take your normal precautions.
Drop a villa number and a name and you are in thru the gate in DSO. Other places a mere wave of the hand opens the gate.