PDA

View Full Version : Plane down near Oodnadatta track

Desert Flower
13th Oct 2011, 07:28
Just listening to an exchange between one of the Wrightsair's 207's from Marree relaying to Melbourne Centre for a PA24 (RSZ) which has made a forced landing (wheels up) somewhere between Marree & William Creek. All okay. R44 from Marree is on its way to pick up passengers. There is also another helicopter enroute from Thargomindah to Marree which may get involved in the rescue if needed.

DF.

Jabawocky
13th Oct 2011, 07:49
DF

In a rather ironic twist you scoffed at Mr XXX's suggestion about the helo's getting a lot of work out there of late ;) :E.

So the girls at Willy Ck are busy again :ok:

Desert Flower
13th Oct 2011, 08:30
In a rather ironic twist you scoffed at Mr XXX's suggestion about the helo's getting a lot of work out there of late.

I think my comment to XXX went along the lines of "All of them? I know of two - PM me if you know of any more" - hardly scoffing.

So the girls at Willy Ck are busy again

Well one certainly was. The lass in WAY was doing a great job of relaying info to Melbourne Centre, as was the lad in ZMR. And there were a few slips of the tongue from Centre seeing that RNZ (the R44) was going out to rescue the passengers from RSZ!

DF.

frigatebird
13th Oct 2011, 09:25
Wasn't me. The Frigatebird arrived back from those parts yesterday, after visiting his Cousins on the Cooper, the Diamantina, the Warburton, and in the Flinders.

Desert Flower
13th Oct 2011, 10:14
Wasn't me. The Frigatebird arrived back from those parts yesterday, after visiting his Cousins on the Cooper, the Diamantina, the Warburton, and in the Flinders.

And you didn't even give me a call when you went past - shame on you! ;)

DF.

VH-XXX
13th Oct 2011, 10:24
I called you on the way past Desert Flower, about 10 times.

I must say I felt a little wierd transmitting on 126.7 saying "Desert Flower, do you copy." "Desert flower, copy." "DF copy?" My passengers thought I was mad calling up someone by an Internet forum username on the VHF!

Go the R44, the ultimate recovery vehicle!

Desert Flower
13th Oct 2011, 10:46
I called you on the way past Desert Flower, about 10 times.

I must say I felt a little wierd transmitting on 126.7 saying "Desert Flower, do you copy." "Desert flower, copy." "DF copy?" My passengers thought I was mad calling up someone by an Internet forum username on the VHF!

Yeah that was probably my fault XXX. I usually go by Leigh Creek Ground, so my ears wouldn't have been attuned for anything else.

Go the R44, the ultimate recovery vehicle!

Yep - lucky for the occupants of these aircraft that it's available!

DF.

frigatebird
13th Oct 2011, 11:06
Loved seeing the floatplane sitting there at Marree when we got fuel. The imagination ran riot thinking how I would have loved to put it on a full Lake Eyre.... Pity about the little bit of drizzle over the central Flinders on Sunday spoiling the colours on the rock formation photos the sister snapped. Of the 1200 or so photos she shot on the trip, some turned out O.K. !

jas24zzk
13th Oct 2011, 11:28
Sounds like a positive result for all involved. :ok::ok:

frigatebird
14th Oct 2011, 01:48
Desert Flower,

Sorry about that, didn't know the procedure. If there was still fuel there, would have called in. Some photos to back up the above when I can get them up from photobucket. (They must have changed the rules since I last posted photos from them. Anyway, look up the Lake Eyre trip 2011 album in bird__photo section of Lake Eyre trip 2011 pictures by bird__photo - Photobucket (http://s748.photobucket.com/albums/yy129/bird__photo/Lake%20Eyre%20trip%202011/)

The Flowers are for you....

Desert Flower
14th Oct 2011, 02:22
Sorry about that, didn't know the procedure. If there was still fuel there, would have called in.

That's okay - I was just stirring you! Don't know when they're going to get those overhead tanks that were being talked about some months ago installed. It will be three years on the 5th of next month since BP pulled the plug on the installation, & I am still getting phone calls from people wanting to get fuel here. They are totally shocked when I tell them it's no longer available!

DF.

frigatebird
16th Oct 2011, 04:08
A Try Gliding weekend here this weekend. After the thunderstorms passed through yesterday, and the original lined-up tug didn't make it in, - another one came from Gympie late this morning, and the locals are able to experience the action if they are interested enough to get themselves out to the airfield and take advantage of the fine weather now.

UnderneathTheRadar
20th Oct 2011, 04:58
Just had an email chat with the pilot of RSZ - which he's owned for no more than about 6 months!

His words were "uncommanded and catasteophic engine failure" which was preceeded with no warning signs (no JPI though...). Wheels up was a deliberate choice as there was nothing even vaguely looking like a landing area.

On board was wife and mother-in-law!!! All ok and his wife has given strict instructions that he's NOT to stop flying because of it. I'll pass this thread to him...

UTR

Desert Flower
20th Oct 2011, 07:13
Wheels up was a deliberate choice as there was nothing even vaguely looking like a landing area.

Obviously he wasn't flying IFR (I Follow Road) then! ;)

DF.

Desert Flower
20th Oct 2011, 07:23
The Flowers are for you....

Nice photos! In all the years I've lived in this area I've never seen such a diverse range of wildflowers as I have the past two years. There were Sturt's Desert Peas popping up everywhere in our town. We had a couple of huge bushes growing in the middle of our street that were a great attraction for the tourists. Often wondered what the dog was barking at, only to go out & find someone taking photos of them!

DF.

truthinbeer
20th Oct 2011, 07:44
It's been nice to read such a positive thread. Keep up the good work.:)